build with me this..

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:41 pm
Hi, I'm building sentences here.Is it buliding or making?.Ok, fine.

These sentences are from my writing thread.you have to pick and choose, it's an old game
Very Happy

1) signs of significance / purport.

2) The ideas were bombing / blaring / resounding / reverberating in my minds like what happens in the movies.

3) I walked in the corridor/ hallway, looking at the rooms on / in the two sides.

I wasn't sure of one, but went for blaring, and corridor in 2 and 3 respectively.Don't ask me why, it's a hunch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 480 • Replies: 2
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:56 pm
purport - you might want to avoid words of this caliber until you have become eloquent with simple words!

reverberating / resounding / echoing...work fine

blaring works also but does not carry the same connotation of sinusoidal damping, it just means loud

bombing...not so much. it could be used metaphorically, but I'd recommend against it.

remember "mind" is singular

corridor / hallway: sure use either

"looking at the rooms on / in the two sides"

better to use "on" than "in"...I don't know why, because the rooms are neither in nor on the walls, but behind the walls...but that's just the way it is.

also, by saying that you looked "at" the room implies that you went into the rooms and looked them over...if you simply meant that you stayed in the hallway while looking at the rooms, then you should say you look "in" or into the rooms

in short...it is better to say, "I walked down the hallway looking in/into the rooms on either/both sides"
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:59 am
Hi stuh, thanks Smile
0 Replies