collocation with..

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:27 pm
Hi everybody.Do you use these quantifiers in your daily spoken English?.If so, what are the common collocation for them?,

oodles of, umpteen of, buckets of, a scrap of.

Thanks dudes Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 877 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:24 pm
"Oodles" is a girlish exaggeration and I haven't been girlish for along time. I have been known to tell a todder that we had "oodles of noodles" because word play is fun.

I'll use "umpteen" when I'm in a hurry and want to express "many-many-many" objects.

Occasional I might use "buckets of blood" to describe some facet of real life melodrama. I'm more likely to use the Yorkshire commiserating expression, "Well, you do have a bucketful!" , meaning more than enough grief, woe, sorrow and inconvenience.

As for "a scrap of"...I just don't talk sewing that much. Metaphorically I'd be more likely to quote G&S with "shreds and patches".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
just like "dude" is getting a bit tired, many of these prases were once in more frequent use and are now replaced by other colloquial statements.

I suppose , in te US, youd find pockets of usage of these phrases but the last time I heard oodles, it was in conjunction with Noodles..

Buckets of "money" was used by sports writers in the 80s when stars atared to be paid large salaries. Sports writers are quick to adopt, and thhen abaandon a phrase when it becomes overused and trite sounding.
american Englishh is always in a process of reinventing itself (even the term "reinventing itself" is becoming trite) so, if you wish to write and sound "of the time" you should search around more or actually make up your own phrases. Many authors were responsible for the genesis of popular phrases. William Faulkner and John STeinbeck come to mind.

Government also is a good place to pick up new phrases, in the present time, I look more toward AAlan Greenspan than anybody in te administration.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 03:11 pm
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:44 pm
My grandmother uses these words
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:22 am
Thanks everybody.Thanks Noddy for that.

Ok, hey stuh don't tell me to stay away from this kind of English, I mean a little is fun Cool
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:32 am
I remember something from " home a lone " movie,

"Hey, I tell you what I'm going to do, snakes. I'm gonna give you to the
count of ten to git your ugly no good yellow keister off my property before
I pump you full of lead."

also from " Dumb n Dumber ",

Well, g'day, mate. What do you say
we get together later and throw a few
shrimp on the barbie.

But, I think I would never say let's throw a few shrimp on the barbie to a girl