To the Right....

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:33 am
I have to write this...and I am willing to take the obligatory pot-shots at my country of origin, the paltry number of posts I have...but anyhow...

There have been countless posts from both sides of the political spectrum and it seems that the division, and thus, the public opinion of Bush, has been clearly stated:
The right loves him
The left things he's a moron.

Correct me if I'm wrong, politics aside (if what Bush does is "politics"), and his Ivy League education aside (if that's even an issue), can anyone on the right, or left who supports him, fess up and agree that he's the black sheep in the history of the American Presidency?

I don't care that he has a vision and strides toward the manifestation of that vision with no regrad for public opinion--I care that he is a fool, a Nostradamus-like Village Idiot.

What is the opinion from he right, or the supportive left, of this man as a person, as an academic, as a spokesmen and leader of the single most powerful nation in the world?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,393 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Magus

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:43 am
Here's some "leadership" for ya... the National Christmas Tree in DC was taken down early this year, so as not to clash with the inaugural "festivities".
All the bleating sheep who spent the last 6 weeks complaining about how the ACLU and "Political Correctness" are "diminishing Christmas" are immune to the Irony...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
Hope you're wearin' yer bullet-proof, asbestos underwear today . . .
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
Re: To the Right....
candidone1 wrote:
What is the opinion from he right, or the supportive left, of this man as a person, as an academic, as a spokesmen and leader of the single most powerful nation in the world?

<crickets>

Of course, the intellectual titans representing the faction you describe might all be otherwise occupied this morning searching for cartoons lampooning France...
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:30 am
It might be a while before you get some positive opinions from the "supportive left"....................?????
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:54 am
Magus wrote:
Here's some "leadership" for ya... the National Christmas Tree in DC was taken down early this year, so as not to clash with the inaugural "festivities".
All the bleating sheep who spent the last 6 weeks complaining about how the ACLU and "Political Correctness" are "diminishing Christmas" are immune to the Irony...

rofl, wow this is the epitome of rightwing thinking. "I'm not gonna allow no friggin' xmas tree to overcast my halo, I'm gonna be busy doin' god's work"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
although Kerry would have just had the lights dimmed to equalize his brilliance whereas Bush has to go all dark to equalize his.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:03 pm
Re: To the Right....
PDiddie wrote:
Of course, the intellectual titans representing the faction you describe might all be otherwise occupied this morning searching for cartoons lampooning France...

Ha, isn't that the truth!

candidone1 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, politics aside (if what Bush does is "politics"), and his Ivy League education aside (if that's even an issue), can anyone on the right, or left who supports him, fess up and agree that he's the black sheep in the history of the American Presidency?

He is! I do considere myself as Republican but Bush is a disgrace
to its own party, the nation, and the world for that matter. Luckily,
the Republican Party will survive even 2 terms of Bush to hopefully
never ever get another candidate of his likes.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:28 pm
The Good Lord has seen fit to deprive W of a male heir... wassup wit dat?
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:25 pm
Candid, what's to fess up? People who support President Bush have their reasons, as do people who dislike him. The American left calls Bush supporters idiots, and the right had the same feelings about those who maddly supported President Clinton. It's just a fact that people see things through their own experience and opinions will differ. Why should I agree with you? You have every right to your opinion; I just don't find it particularly relevant to our presidential choice since I understand you are in Canada. Vote for your own leaders - I might disagree with your choice as well, but most likely won't call you an idiot for it.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:45 pm
Idaho wrote:
Candid, what's to fess up? People who support President Bush have their reasons, as do people who dislike him.

...and I was simply asking what those reasons were, and perhaps shed some light on a man who is regarded by the international community as a moron before being regarded as anything else--a Republican included.

Idaho wrote:
The American left calls Bush supporters idiots, and the right had the same feelings about those who maddly supported President Clinton.

I don't recall branding anyone an idiot for supporting Bush, I was inferring that he himself seemed to wear that shoe quite well on his own.

Idaho wrote:
It's just a fact that people see things through their own experience and opinions will differ. Why should I agree with you? You have every right to your opinion; I just don't find it particularly relevant to our presidential choice since I understand you are in Canada. Vote for your own leaders - I might disagree with your choice as well, but most likely won't call you an idiot for it.

Maybe lay off the evening dose of the offensiveness medications--recall
candidone1 wrote:

Now, I presume you support Bush, and the question I asked was, in spite of all other things, what do you think of this man as a person, as an academic, as a spokesmen and leader of the single most powerful nation in the world?

Answer the question if you like, but don't respond incoherently to the initial thread.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:30 pm
Magus wrote:

I think it is hilarious that you think a friggin Christmas tree has anything to do with the real meaning of Christmas, or that taking one down early somehow "diminishes" Christmas. Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:36 pm
I think it is hilarious that Bush would consider a xmas tree to be too much competition.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:47 pm
Perhaps he suspects that placing a Bush and a tree side by side is not in his best interests; then again, he's never really shown any great sentiment towards trees in general...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:03 pm
....loooks like no one wants to defend the character of Dubya.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
Maybe if you and PDiddie are bored you could troll together?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:21 pm
Answer the question, or be gone.

This isn't trolling...I'm curious what his supporters think of him in the respects that I inquired.
Clearly you want to make this a trolling expedition, which I emphatically state, it is not.

I truly want to understand the appeal this guy has--clearly, Bush is either the most complex politician who has stumped 49% of his population and the greater majority of the world, or his simplicity speaks volumes of his supporters.

Help me understand what people (Rep. or Dem., because he swung a pretty fair number of them) see in him.

I am young and trying to learn as much as I can about this President. I was too young for either Reagan or Bush Sr. and only caught a bit of Clinton. Help a guy out.
I just don't see the magnetism.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:27 pm
His appeal is that he is the President of the United States. Right now, that position is held by a Republican which means opposing viewpoints will search high and low to find anything at all that they think will shine a bad light on him. Like moving a tree.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:28 pm
I think I can give it a go. Many people think that Bush is a regular guy and a business man and that he will make decisions the way a business man would. These people don't care that he isn't particularly accomplished academically because that isn't something they respect anyway. There is also a sense that he is honest (says what he means and means what he says). In general, people who support him see themselves in him and feel that he represents them.

Feel free to shoot me down on any of those if I'm wrong, folks.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:30 pm
McGentrix wrote:
His appeal is that he is the President of the United States. Right now, that position is held by a Republican which means opposing viewpoints will search high and low to find anything at all that they think will shine a bad light on him. Like moving a tree.

Was that also Clinton's appeal, McG? Did you vote for him because he was president of the United States? Maybe you meant something else.
0 Replies