President Trump to allow JFK assassination files to be released

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:29 am
I would guess that it will be heavily censored.

Sturgis

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 01:56 pm
We may just get a rehash of things which are already known.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 07:55 pm
If were just a rehash of old material, I would think most of it would have already been released. There may be a reason why this material was kept from general distribution. Maybe some if it is embarrassing to the people who did the original investigation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 11:23 pm
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41708854

Quote:
Congress ruled in 1992 that all JFK documents be released within 25 years, unless the president decides the release would harm national security.
The archive contains more than 3,000 previously unreleased documents, and more than 30,000 that have been released before but with redactions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/10/21/will-trump-release-the-final-jfk-assassination-documents-a-deadline-looms-pressure-grows/?

Quote:
They believe some of the papers might show the extent to which the CIA, which had been monitoring Oswald’s movements in Mexico, knew the magnitude of Oswald’s overtures to the Cubans and Soviets.

“I’ve always considered the Mexico City trip the hidden chapter of the assassination. A lot of histories gloss right past this period,” said Philip Shenon, a former New York Times reporter and the author of a book on the Warren Commission, the congressional body that investigated Kennedy’s killing. “Oswald was meeting with Soviet spies and Cuban spies, and the CIA and FBI had him under aggressive surveillance. Didn’t the FBI and CIA have plenty of evidence that he was a threat before the assassination? If they had acted on that evidence, maybe it wouldn’t have taken place. These agencies could be afraid that if the documents all get released, their incompetence and bungling could be exposed. They knew about the danger of Oswald, but didn’t alert Washington.”

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/20/trump-block-release-jfk-kennedy-assassination-files-documents-215732?lo=ap_f1

Quote:
Almost 54 years after Kennedy’s murder in Dallas, a White House decision to block the release of any of the documents will outrage historians, other researchers and the nation’s army of conspiracy theorists—who have been waiting for years for the release of the last of the assassination files. A bipartisan group of lawmakers on Capitol Hill has joined together in recent months to call for full disclosure of the JFK files.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 12:51 am
Trump's just not blocking them, guess he needs a distraction, and taking credit for others' decisions is about par for the course.

Quote:
Congress ruled in 1992 that all JFK documents should be released within 25 years, unless the president decided the release would harm national security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41708854
Below viewing threshold (view)
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 11:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Trump's just not blocking them, guess he needs a distraction, and taking credit for others' decisions is about par for the course.

So, if he blocks it, it means he's bad, and if he doesn't block it, it means he's bad.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 12:29 pm
@Brandon9000,
You just make **** up. The question of Trump being bad or not was settled yonks ago. He's execrably awful, that much is bleeding obvious.

I've pointed out the fact that the decision is not his, he can decide to block stuff, but it's not like it was his idea.

If he does block it, like everything else he has done it will be because it's in his interest, not necessarily the country's.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 04:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You just make **** up. The question of Trump being bad or not was settled yonks ago. He's execrably awful, that much is bleeding obvious.

I've pointed out the fact that the decision is not his, he can decide to block stuff, but it's not like it was his idea.

If he does block it, like everything else he has done it will be because it's in his interest, not necessarily the country's.

But no matter which choice he makes in the binary decision he has, it's for ignoble reasons, right?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 04:58 am
I read yesterday evening that some documents will never be released. If that is so, there is not likely to be a lot we don't already know in the release. My opinion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 05:30 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
But no matter which choice he makes in the binary decision he has, it's for ignoble reasons, right?

That's just dawned on you has it? Look at his track record, cosying up to Nazis, humiliating war widows, screwing over small businessmen, ripping off students at his "university," trying to push through tax reforms that only benefit the very rich like him, he's not done anything that's not a result of self interest.

Why don't find examples of him acting altruistically? Just one will do. I won't hold my breath
maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 08:39 am
I want the files to be released. I've been upset for 10+ years about the secrecy of our government and the over-classification of materials.

If Trump releases them as was determined 25 years ago then I'll give him credit for not impeding the release. That does not mean he won't do it for selfish reasons, however. It just means that regardless of his reasons, I'll be happy if they are released and inclusive.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 08:45 am
@maporsche,
I think it all depends on what's happening with Trump. He would release stuff unsanctioned by Congress if it distracts from his latest shitstorm.
maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
To which he would deserve criticism. At the end of the day though, I'll be happy when the files are out.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 08:51 am
@maporsche,
He'll just place it on the growing pile of deserved criticism, he might need a leg up though.

With Trump I don't believe anything until it happens.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 03:55 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

That's just dawned on you has it? Look at his track record, cosying up to Nazis, humiliating war widows, screwing over small businessmen, ripping off students at his "university," trying to push through tax reforms that only benefit the very rich like him, he's not done anything that's not a result of self interest.

But no matter which choice he makes with the Kennedy documents, it demonstrates that he's bad, right?

izzythepush wrote:
Why don't find examples of him acting altruistically? Just one will do. I won't hold my breath

There are many, but I always liked this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U20DMF9qe3s

By the way, if you want me to take that list of charges seriously, give an example of one of them. And don't merely point me to someone else's Web page.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 04:05 pm
He is very selective whom he treats like that. If the girl had been brown she would have been passed over.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 04:15 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'm not watching some crappy video. Something written, and as Edgar has pointed out, race was a factor.

Try a news source not some crappy propaganda with a creepy presenter.

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 05:51 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I'm not watching some crappy video. Something written, and as Edgar has pointed out, race was a factor.

Try a news source not some crappy propaganda with a creepy presenter.

You asked me for one example of Mr. Trump behaving altruistically and I gave you one. Your refusal to look is irrelevant. I asked you for an example to back up your specific accusations:

"...cosying up to Nazis, humiliating war widows, screwing over small businessmen, ripping off students at his "university," trying to push through tax reforms that only benefit the very rich like him..."

and you didn't give me one.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:57 am
@Brandon9000,
You did not give an example of Trump acting altruistically, far from it. You send a link to a disgusting bit of crappy propaganda. That is a really dirty and underhand trick, btw, trying to force someone to watch that filth.

I won't be clicking on any more of your links.

Trump appeared on your slimeball show for publicity, it was a public relations exercise, that's all it was.

I don't need to provide examples of Trump, cosying up to Nazis, humiliating war widows, screwing over small businessmen, ripping off students at his "university," trying to push through tax reforms that only benefit the very rich like him, because he's been doing that all over the news.

If you just watch crap TV like the crap you linked you can't blame others for being woefully unaware of what's going on in your country.
0 Replies