I just broke up with my girlfriend.

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:44 pm
Hi everybody, I am a 26 year old male who just broke up with my girlfriend yesterday. I am not angry or mad, a little hurt but is the way it goes. Any advice from anyone?

Here is the situation.

I am 26, she just turned 21 yesterday. We have been together for an incredible (at least I think so) 2 and 1/2 years and we were friends for 2 years before that. Sure there was some ups and downs and some disagreements or fights but that happens all the time.

For the last week I have been sensing something is wrong with her. I thought something like this was looming. I told my best friend, my brother, his girlfriend and my mom that something was not right with her and I think there will be a break (wasn't sure about a break up) very soon.

Now I am not bragging or getting ahead of myself but I think I am a pretty good guy. What I mean by that is that I just graduated university, going to get a job, don't smoke/drugs drink to much, have good parents etc etc etc. So I know the problems is not drug abuse, parents or abuse.

After she said she wants to end it, before I left I asked her why?. I wanted to know for myself. The reason was that she does not feel happy anymore, we had been having arguments over minor stuff. She says that she wants a boyfriend who takes care of her by picking her up from work and driving her to worK (I do take her to work sometimes when I can). I ALWAYS pick her up if she works really late because I don't want her taking the bus late at night. Otherwise I pick her up every now and then. She tells me she wants a boyfriend who wants to travel, she goes on trips with her sister (who is married and has full time job) all the time. I could not go because I did not have the $1200 bucks at the time in March and I also was in the middle of exams. The final thing we talked about was around Christmas day. She wanted me to go to a Christmas morning breakfast and then come over for presents and dinner. I had other things as well to do that day with my family and could not do the breakfast. the presents and dinner were no problem I attended those.

Now, in the summer she insisted that we have my parents and her mom meet. I objected at the time because I didn't want to get all that serious. I eventually said fine and the parents met. Everything went ok with no complaints. We also went to Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City in the summer and had some problems. There problems with getting along more than anything else. We did seperate back then but not for long as she told me that she made a mistake and all that.
The last thing she mentioned was that she wants to see if other guys are like me.

Sorry this is so long but I really love her. I have in the past done whatever it takes with me personally to change what I was doing to annoy her to make her happy, however, not without reason. I also really think that we are great together and she is really a special person who I will never ever find again and I really mean that. I know I will meet other women and I have had other girlfriends before but this one was so special. She always says how I should show how much I love her all the time and I tried. I did as many things as I could to show her I love her but I just got the feeling she had un realistic expectations.

She also comes from a family who had a difficult father who her mother left 3 years ago and she also has a VERY controlling sister who's husband once left her for 3 months but are back together now.

Any opinions would be greatful. Please don't respond with move on or get over it I will. I have before and I will agian.

One last thing. She has never had a boyfriend before me and I have had a girlfriend before. For some reason I just really think she needs some time and space (and so do I) to realize what we have together. I really do care about her very much and I really want the best for her if it make her happy that I am not with her.

Today is the day after the breakup and I do think of her but I don't feel horrible. I am upset but I know life can or will go on with or without her. I went to the bookstore to read, I had some coffee and I am generally upbeat. I am sad because it happened but I really wish she had some experience with another guy before me so she knows what it was like. I for one was a terrible boyfriend to the girf before her (calling her, obsessing about her, needing her). This girlfriend was not like that. I really felt that she was my companion more than anything else in the world and I just wish for her to be happy.

I too was hoping for a little space from her because it just seemed that she wanted me to be someone I am not. Plus, I like my independence even though I am in a relationship as what I mean is that I don't want to go to fast.

I am going to have NO CONTACT with her period unless she calls me in a few days. I don't want that to set me back if I have to move on without her. Another thing, this might be the best thing for her as for me I would not feel this way today if it wasn't for getting over my first love.

Any opinions would greatly appreciated from a guy who really cares about his ex girlfriend.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 603 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
Not sure what you're asking, sounds like you've got your head on straight about the whole thing.

One way I can relate is when I broke up with my first "real" girlfriend, I just wasn't sure what I wanted. Maybe she feels the same way, just not completely content with the relationship.

Like you said, don't call her. Maybe she'll want you back, but the thing I've found is, once you break up with someone, it's very hard to get things back to the way they were. There's always some insecurities about the realtionship, knowing the other person has dumped you.

If you want her back, I'd start hanging out with other women. That'll make her think real quick. She'll see you've got a life without her. Hell, even if you don't, start hanging out with other women.
0 Replies

saintabby

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:05 pm
Ahhh, have I been here!!!

You get points for showing some insight into how you think SHE may be feeling----being that she hasn't been in a relationship before and may need some space to sort things out. It sounds like she needs to figure out who she is. I can relate- I remember when I broke up with my first boyfriend-- I was 19 and we had dated 2 years. I was anxious to get out there and see the world.... and it wasn't right between me and that boyfriend and we didn't patch things up, but that doesn't mean it can't happen to you.

It sounds crazy cliche, but everything happens for a reason and if this relationship is meant to continue, then it will. But for now, take your own advice and take some time for yourself. It sounds as if things need to cool down a bit before you can successfully wrap your head around the issue.

Good luck though and keep us posted as to what happens.

Abby.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:23 pm
I agree with Slappy.

As an outsider, I sense that your Ex was using you for practice in intimacy. She's still making the transition between teenager and adult and in many ways she found it much easier to blame you for her internal conflicts than to look at herself.

Really, wouldn't you rather have a woman than a nymph?
0 Replies

saintabby

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 07:06 pm
Page-- how are you doing?
0 Replies