In salad recipe, can I replace flat-leaf parsley by regular?

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:30 am
A salad I'm making (parsley salad, you guessed it, with otherwise a lot of cucumber, some tomato and sweet onion tossed in vinaigrette and some chopped dill), there's supposed to go "4 cups of flat-leaf parsley".

Oops. Already chopped up all the rest, just had to add the parsley - but I got the regular kind, you know, the curly kind.

Can I just use that, or does it taste much stronger/differently/would it ruin it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,969 • Replies: 49
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:31 am
I find thhat if you put it between some two by fours it flatttens out real good
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:34 am
Found a link for you nimh:

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=35923&catitemid=
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:34 am
Fast, Farmerman, you were fast ... and funny ... but not so useful Razz
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:35 am
Whoops, here's a better one:

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=33650&hlite=true&querytext=curley%20parsley
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:37 am
From GardenGuides.com

The crisp, tight foliage of the curly parsley is the most attractive variety to use fresh as a garnish, but the flat-leaved Italian parsley has a superior flavor when cooked.

and,

Plant the Italian flat-leaf parsley; it's generally preferred for cooking because it has more flavor. In a pinch, you can use the curly parsley, but otherwise, save it for garnish.

Neither one says anything about eating it raw in a salad but they both say to use the curly in a pinch.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:38 am

OK, so thanks to that I know that flat-leaf parsley would have been really good ... but I dont have any!

If flat-leaf parsley is actually stronger than the curly kind, then I guess using curly doesnt risk me much, except for making the salad less flavourful?

I dunno! Remember, I'm an utter primitive with cooking - thats why I need recipes!

So can I use curly parsley instead? Does anybody know?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:40 am
You can definitely use it. It is just less flavorful. You might want to step up the spices in the vinaigrette to make up for it.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:40 am
I doubt the curly will ruin your salad, nimh. In the future buy only the flat-leaf. That curly stuff is just for looks and doesn't have much flavor.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:43 am
More than you wanted to know. Go ahead an eat it but be prepared to pee a lot afterwards:

from foodfunandfacts.com

Parsley is a great herb for cooking and is alsoa medicinal herb. It is a natural diuretic. It is also good for the liver and stomach. Parsley can be used by women to alleviate irregular menstral cycles and ease the bloating that occurs during the time of the month. Chewing parsley will help with bad breath from food odors such as garlic. Parlsley has lots of vitamin C. It also has a good amount of potassium.

Always use parsley raw-Cooking destroys its vitamins and minerals and takes away the flavor.

Parley contains the Essential Oil, apiole. This essential oil helps stimulate the kidneys. Some people like the taste of Flat Leaf or Italian parsley better than curly Parsely. Give it a try!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:44 am
J_B wrote:
In a pinch, you can use the curly parsley, but otherwise, save it for garnish.

Uh-oh. Thats not good, is it? I dunno what a "pinch" is, but my dictionary says it means "emergency situation"?

Mac's second link said "The curly leaf parsley is more popular as a garnish while the flat leafed, also known as Italian parsley, provides a distinct flavor to salads and sauces."

Also not good, I guess.

Hm. So now Ive got a parsley salad which is all finished except for the parsley, which I dont have the right kind of. What to do?

Add no parsley at all and leave it, err, a plain cucumber salad I guess - or add the curly stuff? 4 cups is a lot (compared to a cucumber and a half and three seeded tomatoes) ... if the taste aint good its gonna really dominate I guess ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:46 am
I use whatever is the fresher one in the market.. and if they're both available and of equal freshness, I pick the flat-leafed bunch.

Let me add a trick Vincent mentioned, which is... if your parsley (etc.) is in your refrigerator in a plastic bag, turn that bag inside out once a day or so (can't remember, maybe he said every other day) - and the parsley (etc.) will last longer.

Sometimes, especially with the curly leafed one, I just stick the stems in a glass of water..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:46 am
OK, thanks Mac, Swimpy - I'll go ahead and use it, then, and make my apologies ...

Quote:
Chewing parsley will help with bad breath from food odors such as garlic.

Well thats good at least, cause theres lots of garlic in the rest! Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:48 am
Wow, the answers in this forum sure come fast and furious! Thats great, cause I need to get on with this stuff <looks at clock, frowns>

Thanks Osso, thats reassuring. I'll just proceed as planned then. ("Planned", yeah right. As if anything nimh does is planned. Well, its planned, just not right. <nods>)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
Got any fresh cilantro around, nimh? A bit (tiny bit) of that might give that little extra flavour kick you're missing using curly instead of flat leaf parsley.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:53 am
Recipe for Majida's Tabbouleh Salad by BumbleBeeBoogie.
Nimh, the following is one of my favorite salad recipes that has lots of parsley in it.

Recipe for Majida's Tabbouleh Salad by BumbleBeeBoogie.

I met a young Iranian woman, Majida who came to the U.S. to escaped a forced arranged marriage in her native land. She taught me to make the following wonderful and refreshing Tabbouleh.

1 cup fine bulgur (cracked wheat)
1 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 cups chopped green onions, including green parts
3 cups chopped curly parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

Rinse the wheat; drain, then cover with boiling water in a bowl; let stand for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly and squeeze dry in a clean towel. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, green onions, parsley. And mint. Beat together the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; gently fold into the tomato mixture. Add the drained wheat until well blended. Best served after allowing the salad to marinate for an hour or two, or over night in the refrigerator.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:01 pm
Cilantro...yum.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:02 pm
I make pad thai just to have an excuse to eat cilantro with something other than tomatoes.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:11 pm
I make a salad with spinach, onion, mandarin oranges, cilantro and vidalia onion vinagrette that is to die for. I might just make that for lunch.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:18 pm
i dont even know what cilantro is ... :blush:

i notice in BBB's recipe some mint leaves - those I got - perhaps add soma those for an added flavour?
0 Replies