10

George W Bush just delivered a scathing indictment of Trump's America: "Bigotry seems emboldened"

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:37 pm
Worth a read or watch and good on him. I hope more on the GOP side find their spines and speak out as he has been.

George W. Bush’s anti-Trump manifesto, annotated

dlowan

1  
Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 12:58 am
@Robert Gentel,
Whoa! That’s interesting.

Below viewing threshold (view)
McGentrix

-4  
Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 11:58 am
Did you guys read the thing? I figure Robert did, but after reading it myself, it would appear that beauty is quite indeed in the eyes of the beholer. I saw nothing in that speech that even indirectly pointed at Trump. Only if you were so opposed to the current administration would you equate what Bush said to be meaning anything about Trump.

I think you'd all fail reading comprehension class on this one. Especially Aaron Blake.

...our democracy needs a media that is transparent, accurate and fair. Our democracy needs religious institutions that demonstrate integrity and champion civil discourse. Our democracy needs institutions of higher learning that are examples of truth and free expression.

In short, it is time for American institutions to step up and provide cultural and moral leadership for this nation.

The Washington Post is none of this.
Below viewing threshold (view)

3  
Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:27 pm
@McGentrix,
American institutions are not just the media.

Robert Gentel

6  
Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:31 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I saw nothing in that speech that even indirectly pointed at Trump. Only if you were so opposed to the current administration would you equate what Bush said to be meaning anything about Trump.

Obama doesn't name Trump either in most of his criticism, this is by intention as it is harder to dismiss it as partisan when couched this way, it's still undeniably about Trump. It's not like we have any other president who has a nativist and protectionist platform, this is about the biggest mouth in the room speaking to those subjects.

Only a determined and concerted effort to avoid context allows for the interpretation that Bush isn't being motivated to speak out due to changes he doesn't like in Trump's America.

The Washington Post is none of this.

For example, here Bush is criticizing Trump's attacks on the media, not sharing them like your interpretation of this seems to be. But not naming Trump specifically is done for a reason, and you are here illustrating what that is (it allows you to agree with his words more readily vs instinctively rejecting it).
Below viewing threshold (view)

5  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 05:48 am
@McGentrix,
I don't see Bush rushing to contradict those who interpret this as an indictment of Trump.
McGentrix

-1  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 06:05 am
@edgarblythe,
He probably doesn't see a need to.

5  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 06:28 am
@McGentrix,
So all the national headlines are invisible to him?
McGentrix

-2  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 06:47 am
@edgarblythe,
"our democracy needs a media that is transparent, accurate and fair."

He knows...

4  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 06:49 am
@McGentrix,
But he knows Trump doesn't give a crap.

Robert Gentel

5  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 10:37 am
@McGentrix,
These are patently partisan blinders to something incredibly obvious. A pity. We need more conservatives whose principles outweigh their partisan instincts. Thankfully Bush is not alone and can count with Romney, Lindsey Graham, McCain, Rubio, Flake, Corker and more on the RNC side criticizing Trump by name. This is not normal and you shouldn’t be playing the normal partisan games.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Robert Gentel

7  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 02:24 pm
@oralloy,
You can always second guess them and no act will be entirely pure of personal considerations, but the bottom line is that there are principled differences these people have with Trump and are willing to speak out about it. Whose voices win will largely determine whether the Republican Party becomes like Trump or if this is transitive. I see that you have picked your side. I am rooting for the grownups in the party to win, though I expect your side to. I think this is the new RNC for better or for worse.
McGentrix

-4  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 03:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

intersting...interesting...I am rooting for the grownups in the party to win, Ah! He's full of ****!

The grownups... Come on Robert. That's some pretty lowball stuff. If the 2 Senators were truly being honest, why the hit and run? Why have they both stated they had no intention of running again? If they truly wanted to change things, they'd stay and represent the people from their states (who voted for Trump) and make change happen.

If those are your "grownups" then you can have em.
Below viewing threshold (view)

-4  
Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 10:41 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
If the 2 Senators were truly being honest, why the hit and run? Why have they both stated they had no intention of running again? If they truly wanted to change things, they'd stay and represent the people from their states (who voted for Trump) and make change happen.

They're leaving because Trump and Bannon are going to back someone who will defeat them in the primaries, and they'll be voted out of office next election no matter what.

Robert Gentel

3  
Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:13 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Well, I admit that I am generally content with Trump's position on gun control, and that's what's really important to me.

This is a false dilemma when it comes to picking between whether the future of the RNC is to stay at Trump's level or to get back to where it was before him. After all, he doesn't differ in gun control from any of the RNC alternatives.

In short, you don't have to pick between a grown-up RNC or guns. You had both a short time ago and can have both again.