'Plan of Attack' by Bob Woodward.

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:53 pm
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/074325547X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I borrowed this from the 'to-be-catalogued' pile and started reading it on the weekend. Gave up - Bobbie seems to be channelling Clive Cussler and beefing up the action with 'real' quotes and plenty of colour. Perhaps you can guess when I stopped (see below).

I'll give you some of the more... interesting (in my opinon) snippets below. Remember all the names and events have been verified as true, and the innocent still lack protection.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 856 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:57 pm
The Chain-Gang President?

Quote:
P.10: Bush sauntered in like Cool Hand Luke, flapping his arms slightly, cocky but seeming ill at ease.

I seem to recall the Luke in the film spent his time on a chain-gang being bashed by sadistic Southern prison guards. Hell of a career move for a president-elect.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:05 pm
The Peppermint President?

Quote:
P.11: The JCS staff had placed a peppermint at each place. Bush unwrapped his and popped it into his mouth. Later he eyed Cohen's mint and flashed a pantomime query. Do you want that? Cohen signaled no, so Bush reached over and took it. Near the end of the hour-and-a-quarter briefing, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Army General Henry 'Hugh' Shelton, noticed Bush eyeing his mint, so he passed it over.

They had too stop from him from riffling employee's desks on the way out?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:32 pm
Quote:
P. 19: Two months into the job [as SecDef], Rumsfeld drafted a three-page memo called 'Guidelines When Considering Committing U.S. Forces'. He took the fourth revision to the President and went over it in detail. It was a series of questions to be addressed: 'Is a proposed action truly necessary?' 'Is the proposed action achievable?' 'Is it worth it?'.

Rumsfeld argued for being clear-eyed. One passage foreshadowed problems to come:

"In fashioning a clear statement of the underpinning for the action avoid arguments of convenience. They can be useful at the outset to gain support, but they will be deadly later".

He also had written:

"U.S. leadership must be brutally honest with itself, the Congress, the public and coalition partners". And he added: "It is a lot easier to get into something than it is to get out of it!".

Later, it was scrapped for the useful formula: 'Stuff happens'.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:01 pm
I couldn't get through it either, surprisingly I read Richard Clark's in one afternoon. Clinton's I have to confess that I haven't got much past the introduction. (now I feel disloyal)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:20 pm
How seriously can you take a book that authoritatively quotes Gen Franks updating the Joint Chiefs of Staff on their efforts:

Quote:
"You Title X motherf*ckers! Let me tell you something. At the end of the day, combatants, and the's either me or the boss I work for [Rumsfeld] are going to put together a joint and combined operation..."
p.118
0 Replies