Osteoarthritis Pain Easers

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
I am gonna try to address this using my rudimentary anatomical knowledge.

My mom told me that a doctor told her she has Osteoarthritis. I then asked her where the pain is, she said her neck. I am assuming that she has a problem with one, or more than one, of her 7 cervical vertebraes.

What I am looking for are home remedies, or store stocked pain killers for the pain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 707 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
Didn't the doctor recommend anything for pain?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:33 pm
No, she goes back friday. But until then she needs an easer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
Has she tried Motrin or Advil? Three over the counter tablets equal the 600mg prescription dosage. When the issue is inflamation, it helps most people.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:58 pm
Tell her to try capcaicin cream, .75 (triple strength). The brand name is Zostrix, but that costs a lot. There are a number of generics, that are just as good. When she puts it on, she needs to use a tissue or a cotton ball. Don't let her put in on with her fingers. If she does, and then touches her eyes, or other delicate tissue, it will burn like hell.

http://health.yahoo.com/health/drug/202626/overview
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:04 pm
Hey, thanks. I'm going there tonight, credit card in hand.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:05 pm
An after thought, what would you think of getting a can of bear repellant if it works out to be cheaper? I forget the %, but it's way over.75% which is still way above most of the analgesics on the market.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:09 pm
might a supportive collar help?

my daughter cricked her neck very badly on holiday once and was in absolute agony, I rolled a hand towel up and pinned it round her neck and she found a huge relief from the support of it. Poor kid had to wear it for days - the pain of not wearing it outweighed the lack of 'cool' in wearing it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:21 pm
Quote:
might a supportive collar help?

I have a soft collar, that I tried a few weeks ago, when my neck was getting obnoxious. I thought that I was going to choke, and I took it off after 10 minutes.

Ah, I just thought of something. I sleep with one of these things.

http://www.wolfmfg.com/products/pillows/neck/neck.html

When I sleep, I put it around my neck, I use a regular pillow only to support the very top of my head. If you get one of these, get the one that is made of fibrefill, and is covered in flannel. They feel sooo good, and it really makes a difference in how my neck feels the next day! Very Happy
0 Replies