In Ads, AARP Criticizes Plan on Privatizing

au1929

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:40 am
Fishin

Drew Dad wrote
Quote:
The most simplistic solution I can think of is "let the government take care of me."

What would you suggest SS be done away with?

Idaho wrote
Quote:

Meanwhile, the younger workers are working their tales off, knowing full well that 2 of us will be expected to support 1 babyboomer, plus saving for our own retirement because SS won't be there for us

That is a recurrent theme posted in other discussions on the subject of SS.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:45 am
Fishin
I do not answer for statements made by edgar or anyone else.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:52 am
au1929 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
The most simplistic solution I can think of is "let the government take care of me."

What would you suggest SS be done away with?

I would suggest that personal responsibility be emphasized. I would suggest that SS be sharply curtailed; continue benefits for the poorest recipients and graduate it for recipients with more money. I would suggest that SS be a last-ditch safety net.

I read someone in another thread ask "how do you expect seniors to enjoy their golden years?" WTF? Don't let 'em starve or freeze to death or die from lack of basic health care; but it ain't my job to send grandma to a retirement resort. My job is to care for my kids.

And that includes making sure that I'm not an albatross around their necks when I decide to quit working.

Edit: Edited to add last sentence.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:01 am
Drew Dad
I have news for you it is your responsibility to take care of Grandma as well as the kids. I assure you that SS payments will never send Grandma to resorts. however, in many instances they do put bread on the table. Grandma took care of your ass when you were growing up now if the need arises it damn well is your responsibility. You represent the me, me generation quite well,
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:21 pm
au1929 wrote:
Drew Dad
I have news for you it is your responsibility to take care of Grandma as well as the kids. I assure you that SS payments will never send Grandma to resorts. however, in many instances they do put bread on the table. Grandma took care of your ass when you were growing up now if the need arises it damn well is your responsibility. You represent the me, me generation quite well,

Really? I'm sorry. I thought it was grandma's responsibility to take care of my mom; my mom's responsibility to take care of me; and my responsibility to take care of my kids.

If you want to take responsibility for your grandma then so be it. In my book, generational responsibility runs downhill, not up.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:19 pm
I believe it IS my responsibility to take care of my own family if they need it. I should not expect you to do it. By the same token, I shouldn't be asked to take care of someone else's family either, if there are family member who can help should the need arise. I wouldn't go knock on my neighbor's door and say, "Gee, my mom couldn't save for retirement so I would like you to take care of her for me." And yet that is what SS is doing. If we have the means to help our family, we should do it, and gladly. SS should be there for those instances where there is no other means of support for folks that couldn't save. BTW - do you realize the average "poor" person who "can't" save has a car, or two, a television, or two, a vcd or dvd, cable, etc? For many, not all, it is a matter of choices and priorities, not inability to save.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
Revamping Social Security

Quote:

Experts Disagree on Severity of Shortfall's Consequences

By Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, January 2, 2005; Page A08 In just 14 years, the nation's Social Security system is projected to reach a day of reckoning: Retiree benefits will exceed payroll tax receipts, and to pay its bills the system will have to begin redeeming billions of dollars in special Treasury bonds that have piled up in its trust fund. To redeem those bonds, which represent money taken in years when Social Security ran a surplus and used for other government operations, the federal government would likely have to cut other programs, raise taxes or borrow more money. To President Bush, this is a crisis, worth nothing short of dramatic structural changes to a social insurance system that since 1940 has lifted the elderly and disabled from poverty. To those who wish to preserve the system, it is merely the day when Congress must own up to its past profligacy and begin repaying Social Security for the trillions of dollars it has borrowed to fund immediate tax cuts and spending.
How this debate is resolved could decide the fate of Bush's ambitious plan to revamp Social Security. "In 2018, Social Security has a legal claim above and beyond the revenues it is collecting," said Charles Blahous, the White House's point person on Social Security. "The question is what is the most sensible policy going forward so costs and benefits are spread out as equitably as possible." "Many times, legislative bodies will not react unless the crisis is . . . upon them," Bush warned Congress at a news conference late December. "I believe that crisis is [upon them]." Peter R. Orszag, a Brookings Institution economist who heads the Pew Charitable Trusts' bipartisan Retirement Security Project, countered that there are less drastic ways to cover the cost of trust fund redemptions than Bush is contemplating. The White House could consider rolling back its tax cuts, the size of which, he said, dwarf Social Security's funding deficit. Over 75 years, the president's tax cuts will cost the Treasury $11 trillion, nearly triple Social Security's gap during that time. "I do think they are trying to create an artificial sense of crisis," Orszag said. Few economists or politicians question the demographic challenge to a system that supports 47.4 million Americans. A wave of Baby Boomers will begin drawing Social Security benefits as soon as 2008, putting unprecedented demands on the New Deal-era system that has become the nation's main retirement program. The ratio of workers to Social Security retirees has been declining steadily since the system began, and it is now down to three to one. It is expected to fall to two to one over the next three decades or so. But there is considerable debate about how dire the problem is. For example, the scope of Social Security's "problem" may be as much as $10.4 trillion or as little as $3.7 trillion, depending on whether the analysis extends infinitely into the future, as the White House prefers, or extends to 75 years, the standard actuarial window. Also, even by mid-century, when Social Security is likely to have depleted its trust fund of Treasury bonds, it would still be able to pay 73 percent of promised benefits out of the payroll taxes. Bush asserts the system will then be "bankrupt," but opponents question that terminology, since a 27 percent benefit cut would still leave the average payment above today's level, even after adjusting for inflation. Blahous focuses his attention on the year 2018, when the Social Security payroll tax receipts will not cover benefit payments. "The government does have to come up with more money after 2018; that is the fiscal reality," he said. By that time, spending on Social Security will have climbed steadily, from the current $492 billion, or 4.3 percent of the total economy, to nearly $1.3 trillion, or 5.3 percent of the economy, according to the Social Security trustees. To finance a bill of that magnitude would amount to a massive shift of wealth from younger generations to the elderly, those who want to revamp the system say. To those resistant to dramatic changes in Social Security, redeeming the bonds shouldn't be the problem. "These 'IOUs' are Treasury bonds, one of the world's safest investments," said Robert Greenstein, executive director of the liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. "The Treasury, the White House and Congress cannot choose not to pay interest on the bonds or not to redeem them -- unless they're willing to have the U.S. government default for the first time in history." The problem, rather, is facing the whole government, not just Social Security. When payroll taxes were last raised, in 1983, Congress knew that new revenue would be used to reduce the budget deficit, not saved to fund future obligations. But when the time came to pay back Social Security, it was understood that the burden would be shared by taxpayers and the government at large, said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, who dubbed Social Security "the phony crisis" in a 1999 book by that title.

They deliberately raised the Social Security tax, an extremely regressive tax, to supposedly pre-fund Social Security," Baker said. "If Congress had said that money would be used to fund the government, then cut from Social Security when the time came to redeem those bonds, they would have been run out of town."

"Morally, this has to be seen as a burden that falls on the general government," Baker concluded.
"But," Blahous responded, "it's not much consolation to the worker of 2025 that there was an understanding in 1983 that he foot the bill."

Resolving whether and how to fund the debt owed to Social Security is critical. If the system is allowed to redeem all of its IOUs, it would remain healthy for decades to come. The trustees currently put the date of trust fund "exhaustion" at 2042.

But that date has proven extremely sensitive to economic conditions. In 1994, the Social Security trustees projected the system would run out of IOUs to redeem in 2029, 35 years into the future. But economic growth steadily pushed that date further out. By 2000, the date of exhaustion was 2037. By 2003, it was 2042.

And it could be even further than that. The Congressional Budget Office this summer projected the date of exhaustion to be 2052, a 10-year difference stemming from very small changes in economic assumptions. Many economists -- conservative and liberal -- say the economic future is considerably brighter still.

The trustees assume annual economic growth will slow to a crawl by 2015, and will remain at an anemic 1.8 percent through 2080. That is about half the growth rate the United States has averaged since the Civil War, said James Glassman, senior U.S. economist at J.P. Morgan Chase, who sees no reason why that would happen.

"There still are problems, but it's not the fiscal doomsday that people imagine," said Glassman, who delivered that sanguine outlook at a White House economic conference earlier this month.

Marc Summerlin, a former Bush White House economist, noted that under the current Social Security system, faster economic growth can delay the date of reckoning, but it cannot save the system. Initial Social Security benefits are set by taking workers' average salaries, then raising them by the rate of annual wage growth over their lifetimes. Faster economic growth may push back the day of reckoning, but it raises the size of benefits owed once the date is reached.

But growth does help. Once workers begin drawing Social Security benefits, those benefits rise annually with inflation. If the economy grows faster than the inflation rate, more taxes will flow in to support beneficiaries.

If benefits could be completely unlinked from economic growth -- for example, by setting initial benefit levels according to some combination of wage and price growth -- faster economic performance could go a long way toward saving the system with no other changes to the benefit structure, Orszag said.

Given all these uncertainties, it would be foolish to commit now to dramatic structural changes that may prove unnecessary, Baker argued. After all, lawmakers design and redesign the tax code, knowing full well that future Congresses will undue their work. The Medicare system, which faces far greater financial pressure than Social Security, was bulked up last year with a prescription drug benefit, with the understanding that lawmakers in the future would have to revisit the program. Why then, he asked, does the White House insist Congress in 2005 fix Social Security in perpetuity?

Blahous said such a question only underscores the problems of past congressional efforts.

"In the past, Social Security has been subject to a lot of temporary fixes, and if you make a fix that you know is temporary, by definition you are leaving a gap that some future generation is going to have to step forward to fill," he said. "We have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than a temporary fix this time."

Note the problem is more related to the need to pay off the notes that the government has issued inorder to use the funds as general revenue. In addition the surplus that had been ballyhood was not based upon general tax revenues but rather that of Social Security,funding Bush's tax cuts. Ironically the bulk of the tax cuts went to the wealthy with the bulk of the funds coming from the average working stiff.
Essentially the problem with SS funding at least for the next approximately 50 years is related more to the governments borrowing than any other factor. The chickens are coming back to roost.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:43 am
OP-ED COLUMNIST

Stopping the Bum's Rush

By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: January 4, 2005

The people who hustled America into a tax cut to eliminate an imaginary budget surplus and a war to eliminate imaginary weapons are now trying another bum's rush. If they succeed, we will do nothing about the real fiscal threat and will instead dismantle Social Security, a program that is in much better financial shape than the rest of the federal government.

In the next few weeks, I'll explain why privatization will fatally undermine Social Security, and suggest steps to strengthen the program. I'll also talk about the much more urgent fiscal problems the administration hopes you won't notice while it scares you about Social Security.

Today let's focus on one piece of those scare tactics: the claim that Social Security faces an imminent crisis.

That claim is simply false. Yet much of the press has reported the falsehood as a fact. For example, The Washington Post recently described 2018, when benefit payments are projected to exceed payroll tax revenues, as a "day of reckoning."

Here's the truth: by law, Social Security has a budget independent of the rest of the U.S. government. That budget is currently running a surplus, thanks to an increase in the payroll tax two decades ago. As a result, Social Security has a large and growing trust fund.

When benefit payments start to exceed payroll tax revenues, Social Security will be able to draw on that trust fund. And the trust fund will last for a long time: until 2042, says the Social Security Administration; until 2052, says the Congressional Budget Office; quite possibly forever, say many economists, who point out that these projections assume that the economy will grow much more slowly in the future than it has in the past.

So where's the imminent crisis? Privatizers say the trust fund doesn't count because it's invested in U.S. government bonds, which are "meaningless i.o.u.'s." Readers who want a long-form debunking of this sophistry can read my recent article in the online journal The Economists' Voice (www.bepress.com/ev).

The short version is that the bonds in the Social Security trust fund are obligations of the federal government's general fund, the budget outside Social Security. They have the same status as U.S. bonds owned by Japanese pension funds and the government of China. The general fund is legally obliged to pay the interest and principal on those bonds, and Social Security is legally obliged to pay full benefits as long as there is money in the trust fund.

There are only two things that could endanger Social Security's ability to pay benefits before the trust fund runs out. One would be a fiscal crisis that led the U.S. to default on all its debts. The other would be legislation specifically repudiating the general fund's debts to retirees.

That is, we can't have a Social Security crisis without a general fiscal crisis - unless Congress declares that debts to foreign bondholders must be honored, but that promises to older Americans, who have spent most of their working lives paying extra payroll taxes to build up the trust fund, don't count.

Politically, that seems far-fetched. A general fiscal crisis, on the other hand, is a real possibility - but not because of Social Security. In fact, the Bush administration's scaremongering over Social Security is in large part an effort to distract the public from the real fiscal danger.

There are two serious threats to the federal government's solvency over the next couple of decades. One is the fact that the general fund has already plunged deeply into deficit, largely because of President Bush's unprecedented insistence on cutting taxes in the face of a war. The other is the rising cost of Medicare and Medicaid.

As a budget concern, Social Security isn't remotely in the same league. The long-term cost of the Bush tax cuts is five times the budget office's estimate of Social Security's deficit over the next 75 years. The botched prescription drug bill passed in 2003 does more, all by itself, to increase the long-run budget deficit than the projected rise in Social Security expenses.

That doesn't mean nothing should be done to improve Social Security's finances. But privatization is a fake solution to a fake crisis. In future articles on this subject I'll explain why, and also outline a real plan to strengthen Social Security.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:53 am
The so-called Social Security trust fund is a piggy bank full of IOUs. I have a hard time giving credibility to this guy if he seriously believes that the trust fund is full of cash that can be used to write checks.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:58 am
Drew Dad
The trust fund is full of IOU's the the federal government has an obligation to repay. They are no different from the Bonds and paper that the government issues. The government taketh away and the government must repay.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:02 pm
And where will it get the money to pay back these IOUs? Raise taxes! Or lower spending. Hollow laugh.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:40 pm
Drew Dad
The payroll tax was contributed to the government for the sole purpose of supporting the social security system. Not as part of the general tax revenues. The government borrowed it and when necessary must pay it back. The vaunted surplus we heard so much about was based upon the excess monies collected as SS tax not general revenues. Where do you think the Bush tax cuts came from? Just as you are expected to pay for your credit card purchases the government has the same obligation it is part of the national debt that Mr. Bush is feeding.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:51 pm
I'm not disputing the obligation. I'm disputing the ability to pay.

At some point my credit card bill comes due. I could probably put off paying by transferring the balance, but eventually I have to pay.

This is gonna be one hell of a bill when it comes due.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:06 pm
Drew Dad
Yes it will. However, do you expect the people who paid their dues into the SS account to get stuck with the bill. The bill when it comes due is the responsibility of the general public not just those who pay into the SS system. In any event the government can not default on these or any other obligations.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
The 'Other America' May Be Coming Back

By Harold Meyerson
Wednesday, January 5, 2005; Page A17

Once upon a time, in a land that stretched from one great sea to another, half the elderly were poor. When their work life was done, they retreated into their rented room or their trailer, or their room at their children's home, or even the county poorhouse. Their rulers looked at their plight and concluded that, "at least one-half of the aged -- approximately eight million people -- cannot afford today decent housing, proper nutrition, adequate medical care . . . or necessary recreation."

And the name of this nation, and the unimaginably distant time when half the elderly lived this way? The United States of America in the year 1960.

We have come so far in such a short time that's it's hard for people who aren't seniors to imagine an America in which old age was all but synonymous with desperation. In 2003 just 10.2 percent of Americans aged 65 or older lived in poverty -- a figure two points lower than the national poverty rate of 12.4 percent. Once the age group with the highest rate of poverty, seniors have become the age group with the lowest rate.

There's no great mystery to unravel here. Above all, what changed the lives of America's senior citizens were the significant increases in Social Security benefits enacted in the 1960s and '70s, and the indexing of those benefits to average wage growth. But since the Bush administration is reportedly soon to propose ending that indexing, and replacing it with a different formula that would greatly reduce benefits, it's worth taking a moment to look back at senior poverty as it existed in the year of John F. Kennedy's election as president.

In 1960, when the Senate Subcommittee on the Problems of the Aged and Aging issued its report -- which is the source of the quotation in the first paragraph -- poverty among the elderly was pervasive. Two years earlier the Census Bureau had concluded that almost 60 percent of seniors had annual incomes under $1,000 a year, at a time when the government estimated an adequate yearly budget for a retired couple to be roughly $3,000. Family members and friends helped support seniors, of course, but the 1961 White House Conference on Aging concluded that that assistance amounted to just 10 percent of seniors' incomes -- and less than that, of course, among poorer families. The elderly received their Social Security checks, too, but they still amounted to chump change. In 1959 the average monthly check came to just $70.

I've culled these mournful numbers from Michael Harrington's 1962 classic exposé of destitution amid affluence, "The Other America," a book that dared to propose that the nation could eliminate the poverty in its midst. "The Other America" was one factor that led Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson to initiate a war on poverty -- a major component of which was a war on senior poverty that included the establishment of Medicare and a vast expansion of Social Security. Forty years later the war on senior poverty stands as a stunning success.

Today, however, the United States is governed by a president who is affronted by the very idea of a successful government program. According to a story in yesterday's Post, President Bush wants to change the Social Security indexing formula in a way that will reduce monthly payments by 32.5 percent by 2052 and 45.9 percent by 2075. Today a retiree receives a Social Security check that equals 42 percent of the average worker's wage; if Bush's plan is enacted, that check will shrink to just 20 percent of that wage.

Having tossed America's future seniors 100 feet overboard, the administration then proposes to toss them a 50-foot rope: They can invest a portion of their incomes in the stock market. Problem is, as a retirement system, the stock market offers nothing close to the security that Social Security offers. The lower a worker's income, moreover, the less he has to invest and the smaller his return will be. Social Security, by contrast, deliberately distributes its benefits to provide extra income to those recipients whose earnings were low.

Worse yet, the shift from Social Security to the stock market parallels a shift in employer-provided retirement plans. In 1980, 39 percent of American workers had defined-benefit pension plans; today just 21 percent do, as employers have shunted their employees into 401(k) investment plans. If Bush gets his way, both the government's retirement plan and employers' will be supplanted by plans based on stock performance. If Bush gets his way, his chief domestic achievement will be to have turned "secure retirement" into an oxymoron. And to have taken some sizable number of our seniors and plunged them back into an almost forgotten Other America.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:15 am
fishin' wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
I heard one economist explain how SSI can be saved with a relatively minor tweak: As of now, yearly benefit increases are tied to the rise in average national wages. Change this by tying the rise in benefits to the annual CPI increase. Retirees would still keep up with inflation, but the reduction in the increase in benefits would save the system.

I think you have this backwards. SS COLAs are currently tied to the CPI.

Quote:
Or how about this question: Anyone earning more than $95,000/year pays no SSI on the amount over the $95,000. Why is that, I wonder?

Add on: Why will Bill Gates, who has billions of dollars at his disposal, get a monthly check from SS when he retires? (The same applies to any other multi-millionaire)

Actually, I didn't have it backwards, re how SSI benefits increases are calculated. They are tied to wage increases right now.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:55 am
Pretty Ugly, Pretty Fast
Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005; 7:56 AM

Prediction: The Social Security debate is going to turn pretty ugly pretty fast.

It's quite civilized at the moment, with reporters and op-ed types jousting over economic assumptions and actuarial rates. But New Year's Day brought a Washington Post report that the coming campaign over Bush's privatization plan will take on the coloration of a full-fledged political war, complete with television ads. Such groups as Progress for America (which spent millions on Bush's reelection), the Club for Growth and the National Association of Manufacturers are planning big-budget campaigns, and the AARP is already spending 5 mil on full-page opposition ads over the next two weeks. Total propaganda spending could easily top $50 million.

Perhaps I'm being a tad cynical, but can charges of lying and distortion be far behind? Shots of seniors standing in soup lines while fat-cat bankers count their cash?

This is an argument we very much need to have, for the difficulties of the nation's biggest retirement program have been swept under the rug for way too long by timid politicians who want to punt the problem to their successors. Bush deserves credit for making it part of his campaign, although he never said--and still hasn't--exactly what he would do without cutting benefits or borrowing trillions more. (The deficit, you may recall, is already nearly a half-trillion, meaning that we're living beyond our collective means and sending the bill to future generations.)

Certain to add fuel to the fiery proceedings: This Washington Post report that the Bush private-accounts plan would most likely cut promised benefits by nearly a third in the coming decades through a change in the way these things are calculated. So much for the free-lunch concept. (Supporters would argue that future retirees will get today's level of benefits but not the unsustainable future increases promised by law--a reprise of the 1995 Gingrich-led plan on Medicare that the GOP said wasn't a cut, just slowing the rate of growth.)

The looming battle reminds me of the 1993-94 struggle over Hillarycare, and not just because powerful interest groups helped shoot down the incredibly complicated Clinton plan. Many Republicans took the stance that there was no health care crisis, aided by the fact that most people were satisfied with their medical care. And now many liberals, confronting the Bush proposal to revamp Social Security and create private investment accounts, are saying: Crisis? What crisis?

The battle lines are already hardening, says the Los Angeles Times:

"Two groups of prominent Democratic centrists plan to oppose the centerpiece of President Bush's proposal to restructure Social Security, potentially dimming administration hopes of building bipartisan support for its top domestic priority.

"The Democratic Leadership Council, the party's leading centrist organization, and Third Way, a new group working with moderate Senate Democrats, expect to issue statements soon opposing Bush's push to divert part of the Social Security payroll tax into accounts that individuals could invest in the stock market, officials of the groups say.

"The opposition is significant because both groups have aggressively argued that Democrats should not flatly resist changes to the Social Security program. Also, in the past some of the leading officials associated with the Democratic Leadership Council have backed the type of private investment accounts Bush is promoting."

The first phase will clearly turn on perceptions of whether S.S. is a ticking time bomb that must be defused or a basically sound system that just needs some tinkering. Let's look at what the liberal commentariat is saying, beginning with

Josh Marshall: "As pretty much all the sensible articles on Social Security have made clear, to the extent that we have a problem, it is not a Social Security problem, but an accumulated national debt problem. And this isn't just a looking at one side or the other of the coin issue, but a category difference. . . .

"The United States has a bit over $7 trillion in accumulated national debt. You can say that's been built up over the history of the country. But overwhelmingly it was borrowed over what happens to be the span of my lifetime -- the last thirty-five years -- and especially over the last twenty-five years. ..

"Almost the entirety of President Bush's Social Security phase-out plan comes down to a simple proposition: finding out how not to pay it back.

"Now, admittedly, this is an approach that the president is rather familiar with from his own business career at various failed energy companies. But it is, in so many words, a straight up con -- one of vast scale, and one which virtually no one in the media ever frames in just these terms.

"Before discussing that aspect of the question, consider a hypothetical. Let's say there'd not been a Social Security -- President Bush's dreamworld. We'd still have had the same deficits. The difference would be that we'd have had to borrow from private borrowers in the US and abroad.

"Think we'd just be able to decide not to pay them back? Not likely. The Joneses and the Smiths with their 401ks probably wouldn't like that. And the Japanese and Saudis probably wouldn't like it much either. Of course, defaulting on our entire national debt would also certainly trigger a seismic international financial crisis. So you can probably figure that no one would be a huge fan of it.

"So why does the president figure he can get away without making good on the debt to the folks who pay Social Security taxes, who are overwhelmingly low and middle-income wage earners (since no one pays Social Security tax on investment income or wage and salary income over about $85,000 a year)? Isn't it obvious? Because he thinks they're an easy mark."

Makes you pine for the days of the "lockbox," when Gore and others wanted to stop the government from raiding the Social Security trust fund.

American Prospect Co-Editor Robert Kuttner also challenges the president's premise:

"Bush's entire plan for Social Security privatization rests on the premise that the system is in severe crisis. But a careful look at the numbers suggests that the financial crisis is largely a myth.

"For years, the Social Security trustees have used very conservative assumptions about future rates of economic growth, productivity growth, and growth of the labor force. . . .

"In June, the bipartisan Congressional Budget office used more realistic assumptions about economic growth. CBO puts the first shortfall year at 2052, not 2042, and it projects Social Security's 75-year shortfall at only about four-tenths of one percent of Gross Domestic Product. Currently, that's just over $40 billion a year, or one-fifth of the revenues that the Bush administration gave up in tax cuts for the wealthy.

"Simply restoring pre-Bush tax rates on the richest one percent of Americans could bring the Social Security system into balance indefinitely, without reducing promised payouts by one penny. . . .

"The Bush administration casts the Social Security shortfall in the most dire terms possible, to build support for its privatization scheme. In reality, that scheme will make the modest shortfall far worse, by requiring the government to go another two trillion dollars into debt."

More than one pundit has tied Social Security to Iraq, as Washington Monthly's

Kevin Drum observes:"The Boston Globe, Peter Canellos argues that President Bush's campaign to privatize Social Security is disturbingly similar to his campaign to go to war with Iraq:

"The link between the current economy and a Social Security deficit that will begin to strike benefits in decades is every bit as speculative and theoretical as the link between Hussein and the war on terrorism in late 2002. But few people in the political mainstream would dismiss the idea out of hand, and arguing that Bush's predictions are a bit too dire seems unnecessary to most Democrats at this stage.

"Actually, I'd say that Canellos is both too harsh and too generous toward Bush at the same time.

"He's too harsh because every president tries to sell his programs. The fact that Bush is marshalling his forces and trying to sway public opinion in a multi-month campaign is really nothing out of the ordinary. That's how politics works.

"But he's too generous when he says the Social Security campaign is 'every bit as speculative and theoretical' as the Iraq campaign in 2002. It's actually a lot worse. . . .

"Back in 1998 Social Security was at least arguably in trouble. The estimated time before the system became insolvent had shrunk by a decade, and even though we were still 35 years away from that date it seemed as though taking action might be a prudent idea.

"But in the subsequent five years, what's happened? Unlike Iraq, where our knowledge of what Saddam was up to got murkier, our knowledge of Social Security's solvency has gotten better. The date of insolvency has been pushed forward 13 years, and even that date is based on unnecessarily pessimistic economic forecasts. In other words, the news about Social Security has gotten far, far better in the past five years, but President Bush is yelling 'crisis' even so. It's worse than Iraq."

WashPost columnist Richard Cohen reaches for the same analogy:

"Why do I think that the Social Security crisis -- 'the crisis is now,' President Bush said recently -- is the domestic version of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Could it be that I am hearing the same sense of false urgency? Could it be that the predicted insolvency of the Social Security system is something other than -- yes -- 'a slam-dunk'? I wonder.

"My cynicism -- like yours -- has been earned the hard way. George Bush has a charming tendency to make up his mind first and then seek the evidence for his decision."

Paul Krugman also gets his licks in:

"The people who hustled America into a tax cut to eliminate an imaginary budget surplus and a war to eliminate imaginary weapons are now trying another bum's rush. If they succeed, we will do nothing about the real fiscal threat and will instead dismantle Social Security, a program that is in much better financial shape than the rest of the federal government. . . .

"Let's focus on one piece of those scare tactics: the claim that Social Security faces an imminent crisis. That claim is simply false. Yet much of the press has reported the falsehood as a fact. For example, The Washington Post recently described 2018, when benefit payments are projected to exceed payroll tax revenues, as a 'day of reckoning.'"

But "Social Security has a large and growing trust fund" that will last until at least 2042, says Krugman.

Conservative rebuttals to follow.

The road show is coming, reports the

AP: "To sell the idea of a Social Security overhaul--and private investment accounts--the administration plans to duplicate its successful campaign for tax cuts. At an event planned for Monday, Bush will meet with White House-approved people of varying ages to illustrate how changes to Social Security would affect different generations."

Link http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/nation/columns/kurtzhoward/?referrer=email
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
Now that there are headlines about cuts in benefits under this plan, the debate will indeed turn ugly. As it should, because the basis for the Bush plan is bogus, and the proposed solution, worse.

I just wonder what's behind the whole thing: A genuine ideology, or a cynical attempt to destroy one more New Deal program? We know how Grover Nordquist, the anti-tax crusader, feels about such gov't programs. Wants to see them disappear ASAP.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:38 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Actually, I didn't have it backwards, re how SSI benefits increases are calculated. They are tied to wage increases right now.

I think we are talking about 2 different things maybe? The wage index is used to calculte the initial benefit. Annual COLAs are calculated on the CPI. (when you mention "annual increases" I think "COLA". Wink )

"When we compute a person's benefit, we use the national average wage indexing series to index that person's earnings."

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/AWI.html

"The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) is produced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The CPI-W is used to annually adjust benefits to Social Security beneficiaries.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/cpiw.html
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:51 pm
Your sources are impeccable, fishin', and I stand corrected in this regard. I was thinking of the initial benefit, rather than the annual increases.

Mea culpa!
0 Replies