Racism question

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 01:24 am
I have a bit of a philosophical dilemma. Think of Stephen King, the people who wrote for Dexter, etc. They are really good at coming up with horribly sick and twisted ideas, but I doubt any of them are actual psychopaths or have any desire to commit murder. Having said that, I have a question about racism.

I have lots of friends of various ethnicities. When I talk to or about them, I do not think of them as "my <race> friend <name>." The reasons they are my friends have nothing to do with what they look like. Knowing these people comes with exposure to their senses of humor. With our current president, racial epithets have come up more than once.

This is not one of those, "can I get away with the n-word" type threads. The thing I'm wondering is, what if your brain is instantly able to come up with extremely offensive things to say to people, though you would feel terrible if you actually said those things?

For example, I'm pretty sure anyone on the Internet could quickly come up with several fat jokes they know would be hurtful to a fat person. We've probably heard them all. I don't think that makes us ANTIFA (anti-fat). It just makes us human.

So, does an ability to, in a way similar to general quick-wittiness, come up with the most racist things imaginable to say make you similar to a racist?

I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as thought-crime. Our character is not determined by the thoughts in our heads, but by the actions we take in the physical world. I say we are defined by our ego rather than our id.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 10

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 05:40 am
@joebob42,
If what you're going to say will hurt someone, don't say it. It's not your feelings as the speaker that are at issue; it's the reception provided by the listener.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 05:59 am
Hear hear . . .
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 06:37 am
@joebob42,
I grew up being taught, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I pretty much stick with that and it keeps me out of trouble.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 01:16 pm
It's a knee jerk reaction to use the first negative, nasty that comes to mind when angry. Some people have really thin skin and go off on anything or anyone, when corrected, humiliated, provoked, etc. All the bigoted, sexist, superficial, racist, negative adjectives come out.

This can happen in the business world, in schools, even at home. Road rage is a good example.

Authors use it in dialogue to show a person's character.

It's even on A2K. Oh yeah, it is.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 02:54 pm
@joebob42,
It's only a dilemma I would think if one is a practicing Catholic, perhaps, and would spend much time in the confessional for all the snarky thoughts. Otherwise, one is only judged for one's actions; i.e., the ten commandments.
0 Replies

ally0008

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 07:53 pm
Can't see a problem with thinking bad/racist things, probably not something you can control.

The mark of a good person is being aware that those thoughts are just something you have been trained into and making sure that you work on the things you think and never ever say them in order to hurt people.
When I was a child I was brought up in an atmosphere were casual racism was rife. Once I knew it was wrong I made a special effort never to use those words.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 08:33 pm
@ally0008,
If nobody said it, welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

alyssajsmith

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 04:15 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
I think it's also useful to not judge a person on the color of their skin. By establishing friendships with individuals of different races, your life could be more fulfilling and unique.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 01:16 am
Just something to make you laugh.

Chappelle's Show - The Racial Draft - Uncensored
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 02:08 pm
If you live where nasty thoughts are thrown about all your life, it is not your fault if they spring to mind when triggered. That does not make you endorse them. So, as others here have pointed out, if you don't say it out loud or act on it, your are doing okay.
0 Replies