Iraqi kids get a Christmas

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:49 am
My FI and his friends passed out toys, clothes, shoes, and bookbags for school to the kids. All donated from his mom's friends. He always says if you want to send something ...send stuff for the kids because they (troops) have pretty much everything they need at the PX (on base store). Anywho, so this is a pic of them giving the kids an early Christmas. Most have never owned a toy before.

http://img98.exs.cx/img98/5236/iraq3xj.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,149 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:05 am
another one. we're not allowed to post any addresses, so they have been blacked out.

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/3869/iraq21xx.jpg
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:40 pm
Awww, that's sweet.

*Day after Christmas* let's start bombing again!!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:04 pm
Joahaeyo--

Did you know? We're not allowed to post anything positive about Iraq.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:07 pm
My bad. Get this: Due to the attack they had in Mosul, the guys have to wear armor whenever they're outside. They played football yesterday in their armor. How fun.

Remember the attack happened in a dining facility?

Well, they don't have to wear it in their dining facility. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:09 pm
I'm not trying to be mean but this post really reeks of propoganda.

Nobody, other than family and very close friends, are allowed to even send a letter to service men and women in Iraq. I can't imagine that you could send packages to Iraqi children.

And I know that the military is at least trying to be sensitive to the cultural differences, I can't imagine that they would try to import Christmas to a Muslim nation.

Not to mention the fact that not one kid in that photo has on a backpack.....

And nothing on the car resembles a backpack.....

Or the fact that most of those kids probably had a closet full of clothing and a housefull of toys before we invaded their city. Baghdad is not exactly some little backwater town waiting for indoor plumbing (well they might be now).

My brother is a soldier, he has been for nearly 30 years.

He was in Iraq.

He has spent a lot of time in the Middle East.

This post gives me a very hinky feeling....
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:21 pm
The pictures (slideshow) were given to me and my family/friends as a Christmas card from my FI. It was his way of saying thanks to all of his mom's friends who sent packages to give to the kids.

Being that my FI is there, I believe him. I have no reason not to. He deals with Iraqi people/children daily. The ones they see do not have clothes, do not have books, or toys.

The packages are sent to soldiers ...and there are many sites that allow "strangers" to adopt a soldier and send them packages. Inside the packages were toys/books/clothes/etc to give out to the children. You're right ...the "children" don't get packages addressed to them.

It seems like you may be looking way to deep into what was meant to be a "positive thread." This wasn't published in the news or in any hometown newspaper. This wasn't given to a newsreporter in Iraq to pass on to the public.

These children have fathers who beat them and the wives up just because they think it's unfair that the military rather treat (medical) their family before them.

You also don't see the barbies and stuffed bears in the picture. I do not see your point in mentioning you don't see backpacks. We sent them. Maybe this picture was taken as soon as they got there ....as this was not the first time they passed out fun things for the kids (soccer balls, etc). Your post is almost offensive in nature, imo.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:31 pm
They are actually giving out Barbies in a Muslim country?

You know that for real?

I think it is sweet of them to give toys to the kids - I suppose that it would be seen as the troops celebrating THEIR holiday by giving - rather than trying to be insensitive and trying to push anything on to the Iraqis - I think that is a fine thing to do - like being invited to an end of Ramadan feast by an Islamic family. I guess what is important is how the Iraqis see it.

I do shudder at Barbies, though.

Edit: Though, for all I know, middle class Iraqi kids had the damned ubiquitous things for years pre-invasion. They ARE ubiquitous - and the Iraqis had a pretty relaxed form of Islam.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:35 pm
Well it was mom's and people like me sending the packages. Of course we put in a few for the girls. Very Happy They loved them!!! ...and before I get the "how do you know" ...my FI told me. This isn't a news report. This is an actual experience from my FI ...the person in the pics.

I only called it an "early Christmas" because it's that time of year. They have been doing this since they got there, but it has never been this big. MANY of the soldiers in his unit and the ones a few camps away and a few camps away from that, etc... asked for the same thing from home:

Quote:
...nothing for them, but please send more toys so we can give them to the kids.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:35 pm
dlowan wrote:
They are actually giving out Barbies in a Muslim country?

You know that for real?

I think it is sweet of them to give toys to the kids - I suppose that it would be seen as the troops celebrating THEIR holiday by giving - rather than trying to be insensitive and trying to push anything on to the Iraqis - I think that is a fine thing to do - like being invited to an end of Ramadan feast by an Islamic family. I guess what is important is how the Iraqis see it.

I do shudder at Barbies, though.

a mattel spokesman has stated that after dating for 40 years Ken and Barbie are officially breaking up but will remain friends. No ****. A pretty good marketing idea......but how does one find a trophy girl after dating Barbie?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:40 pm
Lol - I thought Barbie had ditched Ken for GI Joe - at least they weren't - as far as we know - giving THOSE out!!!

I think GI Joe at least has sort of a groinal bulge, does he not?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:42 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
Well it was mom's and people like me sending the packages. Of course we put in a few for the girls. Very Happy They loved them!!! ...and before I get the "how do you know" ...my FI told me. This isn't a news report. This is an actual experience from my FI ...the person in the pics.

I only called it an "early Christmas" because it's that time of year. They have been doing this since they got there, but it has never been this big. MANY of the soldiers in his unit and the ones a few camps away and a few camps away from that, etc... asked for the same thing from home:

Quote:
...nothing for them, but please send more toys so we can give them to the kids.

Lol - I got that the stuff came from someone you know, Joahaeyo - I am not challenging you on what happened - I am not entirely sure what a "FI" is - I assume you mean your fiance???
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:42 pm
Like I said, I'm not trying to be mean but I am skeptical of this. I don't mean to be offensive, but frankly, I'm offended by soldiers offering Christmas presents to Muslim children and I don't think it will help establish any kind of welcome for our soldiers. In fact, I think it would make it much more dangerous for our soldiers. The Iraquis already think we're on a "crusade", no reason to add fuel to that fire, in my opinion.

Also, most of the "adopt a soldier" things involve adopting soldiers who are in the hospital because of wounds or illness, not soldiers in the war zone.

I understand that you sent the packages but that is by no means a guarantee that they were recieved.

Here is what I've read about sending mail to soldiers:

The US Postal Service has announced that APO ZIP codes for US military units in Kuwait and countries near the Iraq war zone will be made available only to family members and close friends of deployed soldiers. Postal officials stated that the limitation had been imposed due to anthrax and other terrorist threats.

Programs that allowed the general public to send mail addressed to "Any Service Member" were cancelled more than a year ago. While these programs were popular with the public during Desert Storm and other operations, officials said security concerns and transportation constraints with military mail led to their cancellation. Web sites such as http://anyservicemember.navy.mil, and Army Knowledge Online email have been suggested as alternate means to contact soldiers.

Department of Defense asks public to help
The Department of Defense asks that the public not flood the military mail system with letters, cards, and gifts. Due to security concerns and transportation constraints, the Department cannot accept items to be mailed to " Any Servicemember ." Some people have tried to avoid this prohibition by sending large numbers of packages to an individual servicemember's address, which however well intentioned, clogs the mail and causes unnecessary delays.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aatroopmail.htm

I wish both you and your FI well. I sincerely hope he makes it home safe and sound. I hope they all do. I hardly slept when my brother was there so I do know how it feels to love someone who is fighting.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
Yes, FI = fiance. Very Happy
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:09 pm
More Christmas pics I can share from 1CAV Division. Very Happy

http://img155.exs.cx/img155/5129/christmas1ds.png

http://img155.exs.cx/img155/903/christmas20rh.jpg
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:11 pm
as you know Jo..I am totally anti war...I am however pro our troops and their welfare. I hope your man gets home safe and sound and for good very soon, and the kids getting presents is a good thing IMO and if someone has an ulterior motive for it, I'm sure it's not your guy or his mates.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:25 pm
That was extremely sweet. ty. Smile
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:02 am
boomerang wrote:
Nobody, other than family and very close friends, are allowed to even send a letter to service men and women in Iraq. I can't imagine that you could send packages to Iraqi children.

Not true.

As long as you have a rank and last name with appropriate address, you can write/send packages to anyone you choose.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:54 am
I think it's a very sweet story and I'm glad that the kids are getting stuff they need (Christmas or not). I wonder how much could be accomplished if we organized an effort to pass out toys and school supplies to children around the world who are lacking.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:11 am
There are a lot of way people can help but the military really wishes that you wouldn't send packages as they "raise a force protection issue":

6. I see above how I can support the troops. Is there anything I should not do?

Answer: Yes there are things you should not do. There are many well meaning Web sites, TV stations, and charity groups that are promoting donations to overseas Servicemembers. While well intentioned, you should not use them and you should discourage others from using them. These unsolicited letters of support or care packages to Servicemembers raise a force protection issue, since anonymous donors are different from legitimate family members and friends. DoD has cancelled mail programs which encouraged the American public in general to mail to Any Servicemember (versus a specific deployed person). These new programs attempt to do the same thing by gathering names of Servicemembers to send mail. While legitimate mail from family members and loved ones is always encouraged, these donor programs, which collect and pass out Servicemembers’ names and addresses, is discouraged.

7. Is there anything I should know about addressing mail to a Soldier?

Answer: To ensure that mail gets through from families and loved ones, the following information is given on addressing. Recommended address:
Soldier’s Name (note 1)
Organization to which assigned (note 2)
Unit # xxxx (note 3)
APO AE 09xxx-xxxx (notes 4 and note 5)

NOTES:
1) Use of rank is optional
2) Organization name should be included if you have it; however, it is not always used for
certain types of forces
3) Unit # is a four digit number assigned to some units, but not all. Where assigned, it should always be used. Soldiers will have notified friends and family if they have one assigned.
4) APOs served by New York have a 09 prefix (09xxx); APOs served by San Francisco have a 96 prefix (96xxx), and APOs served by Miami have a 34 prefix (34xxx)
5) The last four xxxx represent a ZIP 4 add-on to the normal five digit APO Zip Code, and have been assigned to some forces. Where assigned, correspondents should have been notified and the four digit add on should always be used to help in automatic sorting of mail

http://www.army.mil/operations/iraq/faq.html
0 Replies