Man and his girlfriend

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:04 am
Have I described this clearly? If not, please edit it.

A man of Guizhou, China, in collusion with several outsiders, made a sly swindle, selling his pregnant girlfriend at price 12,000 yuan (about 1450 USD) to remote countryside of Mengcheng County of Anhui Province, a thousand miles away from where he lives. A few days ago, Mengcheng policemen, after receiving call, were out quickly to release the girl, Miss Jiang Xin.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 691 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 01:23 am
Close, and very clear. English requires a few articles (the, an, a) though. I think it should read like this:

Quote:
A man of Guizhou, China, in collusion with several outsiders, made a sly swindle, selling his pregnant girlfriend at price OF 12,000 yuan (about 1,450 USD) to THE rEmote countryside of Mengcheng County of Anhui Province, a thousand miles away from where THEY LIVED. A few days ago, Mengcheng policemen, after receiving A call, were out quickly to release the girl, Miss Jiang Xin.

Also, it would be more powerful if you said to whom she was sold, and perhaps why -- sold to a province doesn't tell the whole story.

The comma in 1,450 is U.S. usage -- in Europe I think they'd use 1.450, but I'm not sure on that.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 02:37 am
Thanks Wy.

Let the story continue?

I think I'd post another thread to continue it... Or just post here?

===========================
About 9:20AM December 21, Sanyi Police Sub-Station of Mengcheng Public Security Bureau recieved an order from 110 Command Center: A girl called Jiang Xin, of Quizhou, who was trafficked in to the area where the Sub-Station administers, asked police for help. The policemen were immidiately out, investigating. After some efforts by all means, the police learned the specific place where the girl was trafficked in and hid. To ensure a successful rescue, the policemen made a sophisticated plan. They explained that they wanted to ban manufacturing firecrackers, driving to Qianzhangzhuang of Sanyi Village, which is under administration of the Sub-Station, and rescuing Miss Jiang Xin.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:38 pm
This one is a bit confused. First sentence: "About 9:20AM December 21, Sanyi Police Sub-Station of Mengcheng Public Security Bureau recieved an order from 110 Command Center: A girl called Jiang Xin, of Quizhou, who was trafficked in to the area where the Sub-Station administers, asked police for help."

My first question is, who did the asking? Jiang Xin? the 110 Command Center? Since Miss Jiang Xin is rescued later in the tale, I'll assume it was the command center, and rewrite:

About 9:20 a.m. on December 21, the Sanyi Police sub-station, a division of the Mengcheng Public Security Bureau, received a request for help from the 110th Command Center. They had received a report that a girl called Jiang Xin, of Quizhou, had been kidnapped, brought into the Sanyi area, and was being held captive.

("Trafficked" isn't usually used in this sense... you could say, "The criminal was sentenced for trafficking in drugs" but you wouldn't say, "The man trafficked the drugs to the U.S. in boxes.")

Next part: "The policemen were immEdiately out investigating. After some effort, the police learned the specific place where the girl was being held. To ensure a successful rescue, the policemen made a sophisticated plan. They pretended that they wanted to stop the illegal manufacture of firecrackers, and using this as their cover, drove to Qianzhangzhuang, a part of Sanyi Village, and rescued Miss Jiang Xin."

I see some other posts about Miss Jiang Xin... I'll go see!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:59 pm
Thanks for editing, Wy.

I think your rewriting is cool. But, since I've said "Public Security Bureau recieved an order from 110 Command Center", so that is 110 ORDERED the bureau. In other words, 110 is the boss of the bureau, so 110 would not ask help, but DEMAND or COMMAND. So that is the girl asked for help.

===================================
The story is interesting, right? It goes as follows.

The investigation showed that Miss Jiang and her boyfriend Mr. Li have always worked in Guiyang City, the capital of Guizhou, as immigrant workers. In late April this year, Mr. Li said that he had some acquaintances in Anhui, and asked Miss Jiang to go there to work with him. Miss Jiang agreed to his request without thinking too much about it. Later, Mr. Li and his girlfriend, who has become pregnant by him, together with two people from Anhui, boarded a train for Anhui.

After they arrived at Sanyi Town, Mengcheng County, 4 men and 2 women came in a microbus, welcomed them, and warmly invited them to dinner in a local villager's home. After dinner, Miss Jiang's boyfriend made the excuse that the house could not accommodate all of them, so he would leave and return tomorrow. But the next day, Mr. Li seemed to have vanished. Jiang discovered that it was a swindle and insisted on leaving. The host's face turned green, and he told her that she had been sold to him by her boyfriend for 12,000 yuan. During the more than 7 months that followed, she was watched closely by the buyer. On Dec 20, Jiang found that there was only an old man in the house, took the opportunity to slip away, and rang 110.

(Thank Mr.Micawber for editing the above.)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
That is an interesting story! Does this sort of thing happen very often? Was she more valuable because of her pregnancy?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:11 pm
Wy wrote:
The comma in 1,450 is U.S. usage -- in Europe I think they'd use 1.450, but I'm not sure on that.

Hi Wy & Oristar.

In the UK we'd tend to use either 1,450 or just 1450. I think that 1.450 would be more commonly used on the Continent. Maybe Walter, nimh or someone could clarify that for us.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:57 am
On Europe's mainland we use(for example) :

23,56 €
1,5 Kg = one kilo and an half.
1.500 Kgs = one thousand five hundred kilos
1.500.000 Kgs =one thousand five hundred metric tons
and so on...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:08 am
Hi Wy,

I think the heartless boyfriend has done something very evil -- the story reminds us of the posibility that the man will be a beast father if his girlfriend gives birth to his fetus.

The abduction and trafficking of women or children has been a big problem for Chinese govt.
0 Replies