I hear the secrets that you keep ...

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
... when you're talking in your sleep.

Okay, so a few weeks ago, I'm lying in bed, already sleeping, when RP comes in (he'd been on A2K) and you know how someone futzing around tends to wake you up even though they aren't really trying.

I said something to him, which at the time I must have thought was completely sane and logical, though I can't recall what it was. But, according to RP, what I really said was

She bangs unisex downloads

Anyway, do you talk in your sleep, or during the process of waking? Does your partner or roommate? And, what's been said?

Reveal all!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,381 • Replies: 84
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 09:52 am
We have some interesting stories on this, but I admit that nothing so far in our household beats banging unisex downloads.

My mother claims that I once laughed so hard that I woke myself up, all in the midst of saying something about 'Mickey Mouse'.

My boyfriend's mother mumbled something about microwaves and bunnies once before.

And then the waking-up conversations..oh boy. I say the weirdest things to myself when I'm just waking up. I don't realize it at the time but five minutes later, I'll just crack up and repeat it to myself, wondering.."wha..?"

Some of these include:

"damn butterflies..."
"toilet paper should stop.."
"I love my carpet."

Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:28 am
Damndest thing. As some of you know, English is not my first language. However, having lived in the USA since 1950, I do tend to think in English, rather than Latvian. However... if and when I talk in my sleep, I've been told it's usually in Latvian. Drives Seaglass crazy, she wanting to know what I just said.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:36 am
Quote:
My mother claims that I once laughed so hard that I woke myself up, all in the midst of saying something about 'Mickey Mouse'.

Sanctuary- Funny that you should mention Mickey Mouse. Last year, I had a minor procedure, that required local anaesthesia, with "twilight sleep". As they wheeled me out of the operating room, still a little "under" I was singing, at the top of my lungs,

"Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me,
M-I-C-K-E-Y........."

At that point, I woke up, totally embarrassed. Embarrassed
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:49 am
These are great!

My college roommate once muttered "Are you searching for buried treasure?" This was the catch phrase for us for the remainder of the year.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:54 am
i've thought and said things in my sleep that make me wake up laughing, but i don't know what they are

and one girlfriend i had used to scream, terrible scared screams like she was in danger, but claimed to have no explanation for it
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
BigDice tends to be talkative when he is actually sleeping. But unfortunately, there is the language problem as with Merry Andrew and Seaglass. Lots of times, he talks Swedish I can't understand... Darn!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:24 am
Durn inconsiderate bilingual sleep talkers! :-D
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 05:55 pm
Lol! The weird thoughts and sayings when falling asleep, and waking, are because one is in what is called a "hypnagogic" state - when free association is unloosed - odd thoughts, auditory events, and even hallucinations are common, and normal, in this state. I enjoy being in it, coming out of it for a moment, marvelling at the thought associations I have made, and re-entering it. Some very few people get scared of it, and actually become phobic about sleeping! I have had to treat a few kids for this.

I apparently sometimes babble to myself for a good deal of the night - but it is incomprehensible. Given the extreme vividness, and complexity, of many of my dreams (I often dream whole, long, film-like scenarios - with sub-plots and minor characters, and thematic developments - and sometimes musicals, complete with songs, and leitmotivs) this is not at all surprising to me.

My partner sometimes yells quite comprehensible things in his sleep - obviously quite angry and distressed with his dream companions (he once sat up and yelled "You bunch of wankers!!!!" at an invisible audience) and has hit me while waving his arms to make a dream point during such episodes.

Other times, he babbles nonsense in all the proper rhythms and cadences of normal speech - something he can do when awake, too.

His hypnagogic states are hilarious - as he sometimes goes into them when we are speaking on the phone late at night - and starts talking in utter free association - when I make him wake up, he has no memory of anything he has said. We call it "talking about oranges" because of some especially odd digression he once went into - about orange tree boughs - and I can tell when he is going to do it now, and try to get him of fthe phone before he REALLY falls asleep - with the connection still open! It is long-distance.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 05:59 pm
Oranges. Cool!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:31 pm
This thread brings back some memories ... not of myself - as far as I know or have ever heard, I dont talk in my sleep - but of A. ...

dlowan wrote:
Other times, he babbles nonsense in all the proper rhythms and cadences of normal speech - something he can do when awake, too.

One night, when she was not yet living here but I visited her where she then lived, I woke up sometime mid-morning, and since we were supposed to go to the city of P., a border away, that day, I tried to wake her up - but to no avail, whatsoever. She did half wake up - and I could talk with her - and she actually talked back - except it was in no existing language.

She would respond to my every sentence, question or edging on in fully-formed sentences, with as dlowan says all the proper rhythms and cadences of normal speech - but with not a single recognizable word in it. She's American, spoke snippets of one or two other languages apart from English but that's all - and distinct intonations, emphases etc of the words she uttered were, for example, quite Slovak-like - but not one actual word in any of the languages concerned among them. It was well weird.

Intrigued and eventually resigned to not being able to wake her up (not wanting to move on to shaking her awake or anything), I tried asking her questions, either in English or, eventually, in the magic fantasy language she seemed to be speaking, and she responded in utter self-evidence, with impatience if she thought me not to be understanding, insistence as if to make a point, assent when hearing something she apparently liked or with a shake of the head if she disagreed with the gibberish I spoke - all as in a normal conversation. I eventually gave up, kissed her good night again and went back to sleep. When we woke up, sometime late in the afternoon I think, she did not remember anything.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:53 pm
My roommate in college would have whole converstations with people and not remember one word of it. I left for class, but not before giving him the phone. His mother was on the other end and they had a converstation. When i came back from class i asked him what his mom wanted. he said he hadnt talked to her at all. I assured him he had and he looked at me like i was crazy. So in the end he ended up calling his mom and finding out that he talked to him mom for a good 30 minutes and had no memory of it...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:56 pm
LOL! I love doing this with my daughter.

A couple of years ago she had gone to bed and fallen asleep. A few hours later, as I am coming up the stairs to go to bed, she comes out of her room ans asks "Well?"

I said, "Well?"

She said, (huff first and then louder) "Well? What di you decide?"

Decide about what, Honey?"

"You Know! Gosh! Are you going to let them or not?"

"Let Who what?"

(Now she's really frustrated with me) "The people!"

"What people, Honey? I don't understand. You will have to tell me what you are talking about."

"The people that were here earlier. Did you tell them they could adopt me or not?"

(Mom really surprised, but recognizing she isn't awake) "Well, what did you want me to tell them?"

"I don't know. I don't care. I just have to know so I can go back to bed."

"Honey, I wouldn't let the Pope adopt you. I wouldn't give you up to anyone or allow anyone to take you from me."

"Okay." (slight smile but eyes heavier just as I get to the top of the stairs to direct her back to her bed)

"That's good, cause they were kinda weird." she laughs as she settles back into sleep.

The next day she had no recollection of our conversation or any dream about the topic of her being adopted.

She does this alot. I've warned her that one day her husband will be the one dealing with her midnight chatter, so be sure to keep a clean conscience!

"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Interesting how what was quite possibly an anxiety just came bubbling to the surface like that.

And nimh, ha, great stuff! There was some sort of internal logic going on there.

Seed, wicked you for passing the phone over. Twisted Evil Then again, I'd've probably turned on a tape recorder by then.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 07:28 pm
eh i thought he would be attentive... but i should have none better
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 07:59 pm
For the last six months or so Mr. Noddy has been on a combination of meds that seem to encourage nightly babble.

I'd guess that about 20% of his dreams involve impassioned shouting. Unfortunately these beleagured dreams take place in the wee hours when I'd rather be a sleeper than a spectator.

Another 30%-40% of his sleeping conversations seem to involve explaining either the current political situation or engineering problems. He's much more excited about the engineering problems.

The rest of the babble time is devoted to re-enactment of situations I recognize. Frequently his dreamtime reenactment is much more organized and puissant than his original performance.

The wall between his dream talk and his conscious mind is high and wide and absolute. If I wake him he does not remember dreaming--and wants to argue about I heard him say.

For better and for worse and in the beginning, middle and end of the nightly dark....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
Retrieved an old Abuzz post or two ...

Quote:
no-itsme, habibi Quick stats
Added on Thu, Oct 17, 2002 5:26 AM

"we have to push them across the border"

a. is talking in her sleep. i'm all, when did she get xenophobic? so, i'm sitting with her, going - to the border?

"yes, into mexico"

i'm all, nodding, uh-huh, no -

"cause perhaps there they will work again. we have to make them work again!"

a. has this cute habit, or mannerism, of becoming a bit impatient - talking as if she's becoming a bit impatient - if you don't get her point, much like a seven-year old would. so i say: o-oh, sounding as if i might understand what she's saying. still, i'm wondering when she turned buchanan.

"the cars! if we push them across the border, they might work again."

ah! the cars. that makes a lot more sense. or, well, ehmm ...

"do we have cars?" <yes> "how many cars?" -seven!

no doubt there. seven cars. "any jags?" -OK.

when she's very tired a. sometimes also has this habit of saying "OK", much like a seven-year old would, if you suggest something she doesn't, being half asleep, understand, but is willing to accept on your word - or who knows, perhaps just wants to get out of the way. i try again - "any jaguars?" - "OK."

<nods>. that's cool.

what are we going to do in mexico? -"look at the water". that's nice, it's beautiful on the beach. she agrees. "but not drink it" . cause it's not good, you see. i see. "keep pushing!" she adds, gesturing curtly. by now i'm not *quite* sure anymore whether she might not already have (half) woken up, and now be taking the piss at me.

the conversation continues, however, according to a dreamtime logic encompassing the exchanging of names and remarking on how mine is "cosy" - cause "it sounds like toast". i grimace - I remember that one from primary school. melba toast. but "no - that's not cosy", she corrects me. her "i love you too" sounds very sleepy again now. in the end i think i asked her about having toast, or probably it was something else i asked, and it was then that she answered conclusively: "perhaps when i am awake". and fell silent.

<nods>.
<smiles>

0 out of 0 people found this Response valuable.

Quote:
no-itsme, habibi Quick stats
Added on Thu, Nov 7, 2002 1:46 AM

I'm sitting on the couch, Anastasia is sleeping in my lap, duvet wrapped over her. I stroke her head, looking at her, and sometimes at nothing in particular. Sometimes she is quiet, breathing a calm, steady beat. Sometimes she starts moving, shaking her head uncertainly, seemingly reaching for something, whispers or whimpers ... but when I stroke her hair intently, being recalled from my daydreaming, she usually quiets down quickly, falling back in a peaceful sleep, just like when she has a bad dream and I return from the computer to sit by her a while, and her sleep turns quiet almost under my touch. Sometimes when I whisper, "I love you", in her sleep, she whispers it back.

I'm listening to the music, pondering the Inspector Morse episode and listening to the music. The Abyssinians and 'Rally round the west indies'. I think of a calypso memory and smile. Bran Van wondering about LA, her hometown. American. Image of a man, sitting in a roadside cafeteria, also looking at nothing in particular, the world moving around him like so many sets of carlights and flickering neon signs. Then Solomon Burke comes on, 'Don't give up on me'. That is such a beautiful record, the whole CD, this song in particular. He croons, pleads, moans, whispers. "Don't give up on me ... please, please ... don't give up on me." And, reaching and beseeching further still, he implores, positively, heartfeltly, "promise me ... promise me". Anastasia moves, her face speaking an emotion. She mouths a word, then whispers, in her sleep, "I promise ..."

Five minutes later, she's woken up, for a moment, smiling, unaware.

0 out of 0 people found this Response valuable.

There was also this one ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
Squinney's story is sweet & moving too ...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:27 pm
Oh, Lord, Noddy, can I ever identify with that. The other night when I went to bed, Mr. Letty said. You'd better not get in here cause my wife Letty will be coming to bed in a little while. Shocked

When I was little, my older sister and I shared a bedroom with twin beds. I heard her say quite plainly. Letty, turn over on your side. You're snoring. I heard and remember exactly what she said, and I heard my dad downstairs so I yelled: Daddy, am I up walking around? He replied in his deep voice: No, darlin'. I told my sister: See, you were wrong. Clever little Letty. I was talking in my sleep but the words came out right.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:54 pm
Letty--

Isn't it exasperating to be sleeping with a man who has a rich fantasy life right in the marital bed?

Us highly verbal types suffer more than other women do with this sort of creative babble.
0 Replies