went broke

bubu

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 06:28 pm
Hallo,

I found this sentence in story called 'acorn'

The mania for tulips ended a long time back. Way back in the sixteen-thirties, to be exact. Back in the 1630s, people were paying hundreds, thousands of dollars for a single tulip. (Well, guilders, actually, since this was a Dutch thing.) Then the market crashed and everyone went broke. Even so, if you have a flower shop, here, today, you still need tulips.

How common is this expression "went broke"?
Is it grammatical?
Is the word 'broke' and adjective [verbal adjetive]here?

THanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 617 • Replies: 7
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 07:50 pm
And hello to you, bebu. Welcome to A2K, and I will try to craft an answer tomorrow. It's a bit more complicated than you might expect. May I ask where you are in the world? Thank you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 08:17 pm
"Went broke" for "Lost all his money" is still common usage.

Confusingly, "To go for broke" means to go all out, put everything you own into the effort--and you may win.

"Went broke" is informal, idiomatic English--acceptable slang. In formal writing, "lost all his money" would be more appropriate.

"Broke" would be a noun, "broke" standing for a place of insolvency. Besides you need a noun for the verb, "went".

You might possibly make an argument for 'broke" as an adverb, but it think that reasoning is a bit specious.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 10:25 pm
'Went broke' is a very common idiomatic expression in English. A similar common expression is 'I am broke,' meaning I have no money. I think Noddy is probably right in saying that 'broke' here is a noun, alhtough my gut impulse would have been to label it an adverb. I'm often guilty of such specious reasoning. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:35 am
Merry Andrew--

Your specious reasoning is worth much more than many ponderous expositions of impeccable logic.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:58 am
Well done, Merry Andrew and Noddy. A related idiom is "gone missing" or "went missing." I heard (not for the first time) a reporter for NPR use this phrase: "(everyone's luggage) had turned up missing." It makes a certain sense of course but it always strikes me as odd phrasing.
0 Replies

bubu

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 07:44 pm
went broke
Hallo realjohnboy,

I find this site very interesting. I am an indian and live in india. I teach as well as study english.

Happy new year

bubu
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 08:15 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Well done, Merry Andrew and Noddy. A related idiom is "gone missing" or "went missing." I heard (not for the first time) a reporter for NPR use this phrase: "(everyone's luggage) had turned up missing." It makes a certain sense of course but it always strikes me as odd phrasing.

"Odd" is the right word, all right. The lugagge was either missing or it turned up. I don't see how it can be both at the same time. It's a Britishism and NPR in recent months has adopted a lot of them.
0 Replies