HIV Prevention: What you need to know?

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
Twenty three years since I first began to witness the horrific illnesses and deaths caused by HIV and still today, very few people have an understanding of HIV. The world population is ignorant about HIV! We have failed to properly educate the world on HIV. Efforts to address HIV prevention have failed miserably. In fact, in many parts of the world HIV infection, stigma and discrimination have never been as bad as it is today!

There has been insufficient time or attention given to the dispersal of proper information regarding HIV and AIDS and HIV prevention. People believe HIV infection will never happen to them and many still associate HIV/AIDS with gay people. Yet men, women and children of every race and religious or spiritual belief are being infected with HIV every day, all over the world!

- An HIV infection may cause one illness after another and a lifetime of concern for you, and you're family and friends!

- Multiple sex partners mean multiple infections can occur with the likelihood of infection with more than one HIV strain. This places an individual in greater danger of illness and or death as well as any person they infect.

In the early years we didn't know any better and people who were infected assumed it didn't matter if they had unprotected sex with someone else who was HIV positive. Now we know; not only did people become infected with other strains of HIV but an infected individual may develop resistance to all the drugs taken by the person who infected them with the disease.(Drug-resistant strain of the virus) Often leaving a person without treatment options!

- One out of every 10 Europeans newly infected with HIV has a drug-resistant strain of the virus.

- People think because we have successful antiretroviral therapies there is no need to practice safe sex or worry. They need to be aware of the risks involved and know there is no guarantee these medications will work for them!

- A person may not be able to tolerate the HIV/AIDS medications. Suffering from the side effects of the drugs and having to stop taking the medication; may put them at even greater risk of opportunistic infections, cancers and death.

- Some strains of HIV have been shown to cause illness and death rapidly regardless of immune status.

- We didn't realize the prevalence of other STD infections when infected with HIV. Being infected with HIV may also include being infected with syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, human papilloma virus (HPV), herpes simplex virus (HSV), and hepatitis A, B, and C, and others!

-In the United States, there are 980,000 people living with HIV/AIDS and 45,000 newly infected.

-In Canada, 56,000 people are infected with HIV. The rates of infection among our aboriginal population in Canada are reported to rival the worst hit areas of Africa! HIV infection among aboriginal people is twice the rate of infection in non-aboriginal people.

- Seventy five percent of the world population infected with HIV is heterosexual.

- Fifty percent of all HIV infections are women. The proportion of adults living with HIV/AIDS who are women has been steadily increasing. AIDS now ranks as one of the leading causes of death among women aged 20 to 40 in several cities in Europe, sub-Saharan Africa and North America!

- Studies show that anal sex is common throughout the world and in some countries 60% of adults practice anal sex.

- Condom usage is lower for heterosexual anal sex compared to vaginal sex.

- Many men who have sex with men do not define themselves as gay. More and more women are being infected with HIV through sexual intercourse with their male partner, unaware their partner is bisexual!

- In heterosexual relationships, infidelity is also responsible for increases in HIV infection among women.

- Everyday, 6,000 individuals between the ages of 14 and 24 are infected with HIV.

- There is the perception that if you are infected, HIV is manageable. Managing HIV/AIDS can become a full time job to manage to stay alive!

This is the kind of information that everyone needs to know if HIV infections/transmissions are to be prevented. Each person understanding and taking responsibility for their own lives and the lives of others! Even though the numbers of AIDS cases in poorer regions are growing rapidly, the problem with HIV is worldwide; people everywhere need to be aware they are at risk of infection if they have unprotected sex!

Talking about safe sex and the need to use a condom or providing condoms is not working! HIV is a global problem which demands attention yet those of us working tirelessly are unable to get articles or /letters published in newspapers, events covered, or messages conveyed to help educate the public. Snippets of news and safe sex commercials are not effective enough. The time the media gives to HIV/AIDS coverage is that of news covering a new drug or conference or a statistic. More familiar, media coverage of the sick! The media has fallen short in reaching people globally. Misconceptions continue.

HIV infection does not occur without an opportunity! HIV can be stopped, but without more public awareness of the risks involved, safe sex practices (CONDOMS!) and the realities of people living with HIV, the numbers of infections will continue to grow and more lives devastated!

This awareness cannot be provided by AIDS organizations alone! Government and the media need to play a more active role in HIV prevention. There has been insufficient time or attention given to the dispersal of proper information through the media regarding HIV and AIDS and HIV prevention. HIV and AIDS have not been made visible and clear to all. The truth about HIV infection needs to be told!

HIV needs to be in the media each and every day!

Bradford McIntyre, HIV+ 20 years
Vancouver, Canada
Edit (Moderator): Link removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,072 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:50 pm
Interesting post, Brad. Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:07 am
I started a similar post today.

Quite agree with you, there is nothing on TV/in the papers to remind people its still out there.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
Brad - glad to have you here at a2k. Thanks for the reminder and congratulations with your success at keeping your HIV controlled!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 03:48 pm
I want a cure for HIV just like the next guy, but I don't understand why it gets more money and attention than cancer, which kills more than twice as many people.

I think America is taking a big step back in HIV prevention by teaching abstinence-only sex ed classes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:41 pm
Um, cancer isn't contagious.... maybe that?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:43 pm
portal, I'm still puzzled by your post. Do you have stats for funding? Are you talking about federal funding? I think there is tons of money in cancer treatment research.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 03:04 am
Sadly I still think there is a stigma attatched to HIV, it may still be seen as a self induced illness(due to things like supposed 'unacceptable' promiscuity)therefore people may give more to cancer as they are more like victims.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:58 pm
littlek wrote:
portal, I'm still puzzled by your post. Do you have stats for funding? Are you talking about federal funding? I think there is tons of money in cancer treatment research.

Time magazine ("The AIDS Political Machine," January 22)
The Federal AIDS budget of $1.6 billion is greater than that for cancer ($1.5 billion), although cancer killed 12 times as many people last year.

12 times!!!
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 06:53 am
No need to get agitated...

AIDS is a highly contagious virus that affects 38 million people worldwide, 2.2 million of them are children. Also, it is still the only disease that is fatal one-hundred percent of the time, while many cancer victims can be cured. The number of people with the disease is increasing as we speak, it is estimated that by 2010, 47 million will be infected. There's also the fact that at the end of 2003, 15 million children lost parents to AIDS.

I think AIDS definitely takes precedence over cancer. I am not sure if there's been any significant increase of people with cancer, but it would never equate to how fast AIDS is spreading. That alone, makes it more dangerous.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 07:43 am
material girl wrote:
Sadly I still think there is a stigma attatched to HIV, it may still be seen as a self induced illness(due to things like supposed 'unacceptable' promiscuity)therefore people may give more to cancer as they are more like victims.

many times it is a self induced illness. Do not think i am saying people deserve it. NO ONE ever deserves it. Regardless. But it doesn't detract from the fact that unlike cancer, AIDS is a preventable disease. At least in most cases. Note, I did not say all cases.

What I don't get is that we can send people to the moon, build an electric car, develop technology like the iPod, the internet and computers but no one can manage, in all this time, to find a cure for two of the worst diseases out there. Why is that?

Eryemil, you obviously have never seen someone wither away and die from a cancer that is eating their body away, if you think that AIDS takes precedence. I think they both equally need attention and a cure. As does Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Lou Gehrigs....the list is nearly endless. With such an educated and "civilized" world we live in, it amazes me that we haven't managed to cure some of these horrible diseases.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:33 am
Bella Dea- I wasnt crtitisising you.I dont think people deserve to live with such illnesses either.It just annoys me that there is no cure and people wont help themselves with ways of prevention.
On reflection to my earlier comments,its well known that smoking is a big contributor to the cause of cancer so maybe it can be seen as self induced.

Re HIV/AIDS- I dont understand why people STILL have a problem with using condoms!!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:07 am
One stat I'm not sure I've ever seen: if you have unprotected intercourse with a HIV infected person, what's the chance of you contracting it? For both men and women 1 out of ?

I thought I saw this once, and it was still pretty low, which seemed strange.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:36 am
Slappy:-

You are probably right.It may be more to do with immune systems than anything else.

"I got mixed up confusion,
Man it's a killing me."

Bob Dylan.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:38 am
material girl, I didn't think you were. I just wanted to mention that it is a self induced disease, in most cases.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:46 am
Bella-Cool.
Slappy-Somewhere I heard that its more likely a woman(or gay man) contracting it from a man than the other way around as the 'carrier' is going directly into the person.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:50 am
It really doesn't matter if it's self-induced or not. The more people that contract AIDS, the more chance there is of it being spread to others, including us.

Some people think that just because you are in a relationship, you are safe. For all you know your husband/wife may be cheating on you. And do not say that something like that would never happen to you. Cases like these are quite common.

Also there are many other ways of contracting the disease; though the virus does die when it comes in contact with the air, any exchange of body fluids is a risk. Semen and blood have the highest concentration though.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:00 am
Eryemil wrote:
Semen and blood have the highest concentration though.

Which is why it is much more likely to be transmitted from man to woman than the other way around. In order for a man to get it from a woman there needs to be blood to blood contact meaning her blood must mix with his. Whereas he only needs to deposit his semen and have it enter her through an internal tear for her to get it.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:02 am
I worry about my friends.If I ever get a boyfriend it never happens without protection(I pray to J it doesnt break)
Sometimes they tell me things about their private lives and it screamingly says to me that they sometimes dont use a condom with a new partner because of one reason or another.
It scares the heck out of me.
I know im a complete contradiction as Ive never had a test but as they are getting older some are getting married and I feel like asking them 'have you had a test to make sure your ok' coz at some point Im assuming they will want to have unprotected sex to have kids.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:11 am
I worry about my friends.If I ever get a boyfriend it never happens without protection(I pray to J it doesnt break)
Sometimes they tell me things about their private lives and it screamingly says to me that they sometimes dont use a condom with a new partner because of one reason or another.
It scares the heck out of me.
I know im a complete contradiction as Ive never had a test but as they are getting older some are getting married and I feel like asking them 'have you had a test to make sure your ok' coz at some point Im assuming they will want to have unprotected sex to have kids.
0 Replies