Ski or Skee

Seed

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:23 pm
So english... what an interest language. there is Ski, which when you look at it you want to say sky.. Why? cus a I sounds like a Y. but they spell it Ski. the I isnt a long I or a short I... does it make it a middle I? yet skeet sounds like ski, but is spelled with a double e... so why not spell ski with a double e? Skee... that what i think....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,472 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:27 pm
Yes and fish should really be spelt ghoti. Smile
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
please do explain that to me.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:35 pm
Heh heh, it's a good one.

The "gh" in enough is pronouced "f"
The "o" in women is pronounced "i"
The "ti" in emotion is pronounced "sh"

Fish Laughing
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:38 pm
ah is ee... stupid english language
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:49 pm
The word has been borrowed from Old Norse (Norwegian) and there is a strong 'nasalisation' (according to my Chambers) on the vowel. This probably didn't work so well with English (such as it was) speakers and they've adopted the 'ee' sound.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:00 pm
No, skee wouldn't work at all. If you're at all into phonetics, you realize that 'skee' should be pronounced 'skeh' (a double e equals a long e).
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:02 pm
well that just proves that english is stupid....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:26 pm
Seed wrote:
well that just proves that english is stupid....

Only the brand your mob speak.... :wink:
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:27 pm
this is probably true...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:34 pm
M. Andrew, isn't a "long" vowel pronounced the way we pronounce the letter when reciting the alphabet?

So I say: ay, bee, cee, dee, ee, eff, gee...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:07 am
Maybe so, Wy. But the sound of the letter we call 'e' isn't 'ee.' It's most commonly 'ay.' Not 'aye', 'ay'. In most other languages that use the same alphabet we do, it's not even called 'ee.' If you are now thoroughly confused, don't worry -- so'm I.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:21 am
Wait a minnit -- we're on opposite sides of the pond, ain't we? Yew say tomayto, I say tomahto...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:28 am
skaying is fun
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 01:33 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
The word has been borrowed from Old Norse (Norwegian) and there is a strong 'nasalisation' (according to my Chambers) on the vowel.

Not in this century it isn't

Quote:
This probably didn't work so well with English (such as it was) speakers and they've adopted the 'ee' sound.

Actually the "ee" is there in norwegian as well, written "i" which is how that sound appears in all our words (exept perhaps some imports). Also "s" followed by "k" is pronounced "sh" in norwegian. I think it's always been that way.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 06:12 am
Wy, we do mostly say 'tomayto' except in some backwater provinces, e.g. Maine. (But I do agree that the spelling would indicate it should be 'tomahto.' No one pays any attention to how a word is spelt nowadays anyhoo.)
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 06:26 am
Seed,

You got this idear from the "English is Crazy" thread started 9 hours before this one, huh?

Come on: 'fess up. :wink:
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 10:45 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
Seed,

You got this idear from the "English is Crazy" thread started 9 hours before this one, huh?

Come on: 'fess up. :wink:
actually no, i was looking at a friends shirt that had ski on t and i was doing a poor publich school job at pronounicing it...(i know how to say ski) but i was trying to it phenticly...(sping is horrible for me) and it just blew my mind is all
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:51 pm
Seed, I was only funnin' you. Sorry: I should have made that plain. :wink:
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
i take no offense at all miss young. just thought i would let everyone know how i came across it
0 Replies