Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,567 • Replies: 23
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:15 pm
Using it? I drink it occasionally.
0 Replies

ZedSquared

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:19 pm
I heard of this a few years ago as an aid for minor illnesses.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:20 pm
Well, it's tea. Tea has some good stuff in it. It has anti-oxidants. It is a warm liquid which is good for digestion.
0 Replies

ZedSquared

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:23 pm
I recieved this site from a patient
http://www.earthcalls.com/kombucha1.shtml
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:25 pm
I did a little google search and found out some new info to me. The tea they say promotes health is a fermented concoction (takes two weeks). Here's the link:

Kombucha
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:26 pm
"Bioelectric Energy Field"????
0 Replies

ZedSquared

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:26 pm
Great thank you !!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:30 pm
"lactic acid is a ferment of the friendly bacteria lactobacillus acidophilus (Tom Valentine): If you walk into a health food store, you can buy a bottle of acidophilus capsules. The specific purpose would be to promote the growth of flora in the intestinal tract, flora that is destroyed by such things as alcohol, street drugs and a wide variety of pharmaceutical drugs to include antibiotics."

The above bit (^) sounds really really out there.

The below bit (V) sounds a bit more to what I understand about l. acidophilus. Whether l. Acidophilus has anything to do with kombucha tea I can't really say myself.

"Without that flora, your digestive system is incapable of absorbing nutrients through the walls of the intestines, because it is the flora that "grabs" those nutrients and passes them through the cellular walls. This is why people can come down with all sorts of afflictions when they appear to be eating well: They are eating and starving to death at the same time. Any competent Naturopath, Nutritional Consultant or Physician who practices holistic medicine will have the substance lactobacillus acidophilus or something similar very high on their priority list in terms of making sure the patient in question has sufficient intestinal flora. It follows that any identified illness condition that can result from starvation can result from a severe lack of the intestinal flora."
0 Replies

ZedSquared

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:35 pm
I recommend yogurt, it has little negative and big in the positives, this a seems to be something that should be drunk only occaisionally.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 09:38 pm
Zed, can I ask what your patient's ailment is?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 10:28 pm
A friend turned me on to a tea that I've found to be highly therapeutic. A mug of lapsang souchong with a generous splash of single malt whisky is just the thing. I highly recommend it!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 11:33 pm
Spunds potent D'art.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:30 am
It's pretty darn good, Joanne, especially on a dreary afternoon.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:33 am
I found my box of individually wrapped kombucha tea. The ingredients list "Chinese herbs" containing, among other things, kombucha culture.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:37 am
Littlek, regular green Chinese tea also contains lots of anti-oxidants, and it can be consumed warm or even hot as well. Its main advantage: it is much cheaper than kombucha.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:25 am
Well, yeah. My vet recommended plain yogurt when my kitten was on anitbiotics. I tried some myself and it was really better than that flavored crap, though not as good as TCBY.
0 Replies

ZedSquared

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:14 pm
Yes the yogurt is recommended for the aftermath of anti-biotics and cancer therapy, too. The tea sounded good, minus the hootch, he has the sniffles so I thought the warmth and moisture would sooth the throat. Green tea sounds easier to recommend, the nursing supervisor should be getting back to me tomorrow.
Thank you all!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:38 pm
Actually, any tea - green or black - has the anti-oxidants. As long as the caffiene isn't an issue, tea can't be anything but good for you (in my opinion).

TCBY....TCBY.... why can't I remember what TCBY is....? This'll drive me nuts.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:38 pm
I used to enjoy lapsang souchong, mostly for the aroma, but never found any medicinal benefits. Didn't try the hootch though. That must trigger the effect.
0 Replies