dauer

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
Einherjar wrote:
dauer wrote:

Quote:
Rubbish!

Deal with what the Torah descibes...or acknowledge that you are not up to the task.

I think I said already that I don't agree with the biblical perception of God. I don't believe God ever interferes with the laws of physics. If it says, "God did this." I say, "Why was it written that way?"

This one is not a Jew Frank, he's a deist. He doesn't recognise the torah or any other writing as an authority on god and its actions, and he does not belive god interferes with the laws of physics. That off course makes the Tora nothing more than a collection of speculations.

I think if you stop trying to debate the deist as a jew, even though he identifies himself as such, you'll have more luck.

I am definitely leaning towards deism -- which is not a religion anyway -- but Judaism always has leaned that way, even when it has attacked the position. But I am a panentheist, believe in the possibility of a divine plan, that God engages with humans, only I believe this engagement is entirely experiential. I'm agnostic about the afterlife, but that's not so radical for a Jew. Eh, what's a Jew to you?

Dauer

Edit: Oh, and I believe that books are sacred, only that it's because we make them sacred.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 04:30 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Also, Christianity was an alternative to the militancy of the various Jewish factions at the time of the Roman occupation. It offered love as a response to the occupation, and also, more enveloping, as a way of life.

I disagree. The Sages were plenty loving, and most of them opposed war. Here's a bio of one of my favorites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillel_the_Elder

He was born before Jesus and was very popular.

Dauer
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:46 am
I don't know what, exactly, you disagree with, dauer. I was referring specifically to the militant groups of the time, e.g. the Zealots and Sicarri.

I think most Jews of the time, the loving Sages notwithstanding, supported the insurgency that eventually incited the Romans to utterly annihilate Judah (Israel).
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:56 am
By the way, thanks for the link. I'm familiar with Hillel.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:13 am
dauer wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Also, Christianity was an alternative to the militancy of the various Jewish factions at the time of the Roman occupation. It offered love as a response to the occupation, and also, more enveloping, as a way of life.

I disagree. The Sages were plenty loving, and most of them opposed war. Here's a bio of one of my favorites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillel_the_Elder

He was born before Jesus and was very popular.

Dauer

Actually, Christianity, per se, did not exist in Israel during the Roman occupation and the ensuing holocaust.
It was just another fractious cult of no particular significance.
It only gained popularity in Israel proper after Rome massacred and enslaved the majority of the Jews and Israel was depopulated.
Once it was no longer PC to be Jewish, the Romans, including the Asiatics that were under Roman control, cast about to find a more acceptable alternative to what was by then, an empty Roman religion mostly encompassing silly Emperor worship. Christianity offered the reasonable monotheism of Judaism along with the familiar Roman stories of resurrection, redemption and celebration.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:22 pm
Infra,

my point is that the claim you made on behalf of Christianity is not exclusive to Christianity. There were Jews loving peace and pursuing peace. Unfortunately, like in many political situations, it is the extremists whose actions are most loudly heard.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:25 am
The claim I made on behalf of Christianity was not stated, nor implied as exclusive to Christianity, dauer. Your inference is incorrect.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:32 am
To differentiate how Christianity was received by Jews and Gentiles is one thing, moishe, to deny its existence during the Roman occupation and ensuing holocaust is another. That Christianity was "just another fractious cult of no particular importance" in Israel during the Roman occupation and ensuing holocaust is to say that Christianity, as "just another fractious cult of no particular importance" did exist in Israel during the Roman occupation and the ensuing holocaust.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:12 am
BM
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
Quote:
Moishe3rd
How do I explain this. I am torn between my emotions and logic. In my heart I believe there is a supreme being. Is it because I was brought up to believe in God or I need the emotional support and comfort in believing that there is something more than our moment on earth. And admittedly as I grow older the need becomes greater. I do not know. As for religion itself, despite the fact that I am Jewish and am rooting for our side. I find it very difficult to believe that religion any religion is not a creation of mans fertile mind.
I should note that I have been exposed to all sides of our religion. Although I was brought up in a secular household I had a Hasidic phase while attending the Lebavitcher Yeshiva for three years ages 10 thru 13. My Mom yanked me out when she witnessed the Hasidic Simchas Torah celebration

Forgive me Au, for transferring this over to this thread, but it seems to fit better here.
First of all,
Quote:
My Mom yanked me out when she witnessed the Hasidic Simchas Torah celebration

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yes, I can see that that might cause some consternation to those that are, uh, unfamiliar with the combination of an observant Simchas Torah (in which ordinary religious Jews dance with the Torah scrolls for several hours, first in the evening, and then the next day, all the while singing and throwing their children up in the air and carrying on like mad; some of them possibly, well probably, imbibing alcoholic beverages) and the even more unrestrained chaos that is Chabad. Laughing

Here's the thing.
So, religion is a creation of man's fertile mind.
So what?
The US Tax Code; Britney Spears; Fear Factor; and Islamic Fascist Death Cults are all products of man's fertile mind too. I gotta live with them. I don't like them (well, okay, I like looking at the Spears invention), but I gotta live with them. And these things are no fun at all.

Now, I do not believe that Judaism is a product of man's fertile mind, per se. But what I know is that Judaism is fun. It's a blast. It's interesting. It keeps me on my toes - and believe me, after a hard day of work; after trying to pay bills; after dealing with people, friends and family, I do not need another damn thing to keep me on my toes. But it does.
Shabbos is a incredible invention! No one else ever thought it up. Not before, not after, not never. That alone is enough to make one go 'hmmmm?"
G-d says no workee; no car; no telephone; no cooking; no lights; no shopping; no spending; no nuttin'; EXCEPT.... pray; spend time with your family; sleep; eat; drink; learn; read; talk; sleep some more; spend some time with your friends; go for a walk; drink some more; eat some more; sleep some more....
Try as I might, I can find no fault with this particular Mitzva from G-d.
None. Smile
And then there are my children who do not indulge in sex, drugs and rock and roll (translate rock and roll as "popular culture").
I did.
To great excess. Child of the sixties and everything in it.
All of my indulgences have not equalled the joy of even one day of seeing my children reject such indulgences as stupid; ungodly; and even incomprehensible. Even my youngest, who loves the Matrix and has memorized -
Quote:
Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you do it? Why? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? Something more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose. And all as artificial as the Matrix itself, although, only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. There's no point in fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?

Even he, who is not happy with parental restrictions on his ability to watch movies, considers the "ordinary" world a world of narishkeit - foolishness.

There is joy in G-d.
And there is great joy in being Jewish.
We are unique in the history of mankind.
But it is the Torah that makes us unique, not we who make the Torah unique.
Israel is a joy because Jews are a joy and Jews are a joy because G-d says so in the Torah.

Understand. I am an "intellectual." I require "proof" of G-d's existence. I study the odds. But, I also study history. And history alone proves the Jews are unique. Are different. From then until now.
It is utterly "a-historical" that the Jews, this minority, utterly persecuted people who have been overwhelmingly supplanted by both Christianity and Islam to the point of statistical insignificance, should have any effect whatsoever on mankind.
But we do. Every day. In every way. In every part of the globe (I just sent a tsunami disaster donation to a Chabad house in Thailand. In Thailand??!!). In every field of endeavor. In every part of history....
That's amazing.
So, whether G-d is our construct or we his, so what.
Study Torah. Live. Learn. Fly. And have some fun too.
Okay. Where do I sign up!
Very Happy
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:26 pm
Reply to Dauer,
Vis a Vis Whom I am.
Or, as the Catepillar said, Who are You?
I am an Orthodox Jew living in Minnesota.
I am also a convert to Judaism, having been brought up well churched and involved in Epicopalianism. One older brother is a recently ordained Episcopalian minister and my uncle for whom I was named is the retired Episcopalian Bishop of Alabama and the Gulf Coast.
However, my wife of 25 years was born a secular Jew and, unlike many of our friends and various co-congregants over the years, we just became more Jewish; more observant; more Orthodox as the years passed by.
Until today where we would fall into the "Ultra" Orthodox camp by anyone outside of Israel. (Some of the Chassidim in Israel might look upon us as goyish, but ehhhh... Rolling Eyes oy.)
We learn Torah; daven three times a day; keep Shabbos; Kashrus; and Tahara Hamishpacha; fast on Taanis Esther and get drunk (at least I do) on Purim.
The whole megillah.
My eldest son is in kollel in Lakewood; my daughter is learning in seminary in eretz Yisroel; and my youngest son is in yeshiva in Pennsylvania.
So, no, not exactly haredi... more Agudah maybe.
Shteiging away; trying to be better...
Very Happy
(Haredi are pretty much defined by living in Israel itself. I might be considered haredi if I lived in Israel, but probably not. I never could not be just a little bit out of synch of those who are absolutely, fervently "sure" that they, and only they, are "right.")
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:42 pm
Hi Moishe I did indeed read your response but I'm not always good at small talk so while I put off formulating a reply while I thought about it and then I forgot about it.

It sounds like you've been on a journey. That's the type of journey it would be nice if more people took. I'm not talking about journey into a heavy religiousity specifically, but any spiritual searching. Was all of the reading you did a part of it?

Dauer
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:57 am
dauer wrote:
Hi Moishe I did indeed read your response but I'm not always good at small talk so while I put off formulating a reply while I thought about it and then I forgot about it.

It sounds like you've been on a journey. That's the type of journey it would be nice if more people took. I'm not talking about journey into a heavy religiousity specifically, but any spiritual searching. Was all of the reading you did a part of it?

Dauer

Oh yeah. You betcha. 100 per centy.
What is interesting is that whereas I learned and studied the most under teachers and writings that did not take Judaism in account at all - that is to say that the philosophies I studied were not aware of any Judaic influence, I found that the Torah and Judaism was indeed the Grandaddy of them all.
And, based on the ideas that I have studied, I can prove this (for my own purposes) using their system of philosophy.
Life is beautiful. Smile
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:56 am
The Shas is the Talmud.
There is a program called Daf Yomi, where a Jew reads a page of Talmud every day and finishes the entire Shas in 7 1/2 years.
Daf Yomi was started in 1923 to try and help Jews to revitalize learning Torah. The finishing of the 11th 7 1/2 year cycle was yesterday. It is called a Siyum Hashas.
And the point?
This is why Jews have survived for two thousand years, without a country; without a government; without the Holy Temple; persecuted and despised; driven from country to country; exiled and murdered by all -
Because they Learn. And because they are still Learning today.

Today begins a new cycle. Start with Berachos 2A.... Smile

Quote:
Orthodox Jews Celebrate End of a True SabbaticalBy ANDY NEWMAN

Published: March 2, 2005

Like Orthodox Jews the world over, Simcha Friedman, a supermarket owner from Borough Park, reads a page of the Talmud every day. And every seven and a half years, at the end of the synchronized reading of the 2,711-page text of Jewish law and lore, Mr. Friedman joins thousands of Jews at a huge celebration.

In 1982, at the age of 9, he was in the crowd at the Felt Forum in Madison Square Garden, praying and dancing. In 1990, he celebrated in Israel. In 1997, when the event, known formally as Siyum HaShas, was held upstairs in the much larger main arena at the Garden, he was there.

But last night, Mr. Friedman and two of his sons had to settle for watching the festivities on a video screen at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. All the seats at the Garden were sold out, as well as those at the Continental Airlines Arena in the Meadowlands.

"It's a shame," Mr. Friedman said on the subway to Manhattan. "Maybe next time if they build a stadium on the West Side we'll be able to go."

With every repetition of the cycle, begun in 1923, the crowds seem to grow. Last night's, the 11th installment, was the biggest yet, according to the organizers, with more than 100,000 Jews packed into arenas and auditoriums in North America and about that many more around the world. Names of cities flashed on the overhead screens at the Garden - Calgary and Caracas, Cleveland and Columbus, Bethlehem (the one in Pennsylvania) and Buenos Aires.

And all around the Garden, beneath the retired basketball jerseys of Frazier and Reed and the signs reading Bud Lite and "This Is Our Town" (the slogan of the MSG television network), thousands of men and boys in black sat rapt as Orthodox Judaism's most prominent rabbis took turns on the dais singing the praises of the Talmud and Torah. Women, who do not usually take part, were confined to the upper tiers.

In the hallways, clusters of latecomers called out to passers-by "mincha, mincha" (afternoon prayer service), hoping to get together a 10-man prayer group, or minyan, because they had missed the prayers at the beginning of the program.

On stage, the mood was defiant and celebratory. "It's delicious, but we want more!" shouted Ephraim Wachsman, a rabbi from Monsey, N.Y. "We want to daven with millions!"

Another speaker, Rabbi Yaakov Perlow, noting the imminent publication of a 73-volume English translation of the Talmud, predicted the further spread of the teachings.

The Talmud, a vast and dense compendium of laws expanded with commentary, covers every conceivable aspect of observant Jewish life, "from cutting your toenails to menstruation," said Rabbi Avi Shafran, public affairs director for Agudath Israel, the event's organizer.

The entire last book of the Talmud is devoted to descriptions and proscriptions regarding impurities, many of them involving bodily fluids. Yesterday's final teaching addressed the question of when a woman is considered unclean. Shortly after 7 p.m., as silence fell on the Garden, an aged rabbi named Chaim Stein read the last lines of the Talmud: "Whoever learns the laws every day is assured that he is destined for the world to come."

Then with a great flutter of black coattails and program pages, the congregants stood and recited a prayer that addresses the Talmud directly. "We will return to you, and you will return to us."

Soon - in about half an hour in fact - the 2,711-day process would start again, with the reading of the first page of the Talmud.

But first, it was time to rejoice. "Siman Tov, Mazel Tov" ("Good sign, good luck"), a song often played at weddings, boomed over the speakers, and men and boys linked arms and danced in the aisles.

Some were too moved to dance. "I cannot express my joy at seeing this," said Michael Jacobovits, 79, a retired steel worker who fled Germany and France during the Holocaust. "I remember a time when Jews could not walk in the street."

Mr. Jacobovits stood unmoving by his seat, taking in the spectacle. Finally, he said, "This makes me cry."

Source

Quote:
Thousands Worldwide Finish Talmud - Then Start it Again
17:41 Mar 02, '05 / 21 Adar 5765

(IsraelNN.com) The Daf-Yomi daily-page celebration of siyum finishing the Babylonian Talmud (Oral Law or Shas), Judaism's most important compendium of law and much more, has already gotten started at locations around the world.

Here in Israel siyum celebrations are taking place in many cities. More than 6,000 are expected at perhaps the largest tonight, the English-language Siyum HaShas of Daf Yomi, in Jerusalem's Binyanei haUma Convention Center. From the media statement we read:

"The Siyum, which will feature several addresses by leading Torah luminaries, the actual Siyum HaShas and the beginning of the new cycle of Daf Yomi, musical intermissions and other special features, are being planned and organized by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Jerusalem, producers of the Daf-yomi Advancement Forum (DAF). Headed by Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld, the scholars of Kollel Iyun Hadaf prepare study material on every page of Gemara, in both English and Hebrew, which is distributed free of charge to subscribers around the world. More than 2,500 subscribers in 30 countries receive the Kollel's material, and many others avail themselves of the archived material, available on virtually all of Shas.

"While not all of those coming to the Siyum are subscribers to the Kollel's prodigious resources, many are. One subscriber is flying in from California to celebrate this milestone event in the Jewish world and in his own life with his brother, with whom he has been learning Daf Yomi over the phone, relying on the Kollel's comprehensive study material to help him understand the Daf (page). Another participant, from New York, is a Maggid Shi'ur of Daf Yomi who uses the Kollel's resources to help him prepare his daily Shi'ur. Other beneficiaries of the Kollel's Harbatzas Torah are coming from cities such as Chicago, London, and Johannesburg, as well as from all over Israel."

Further updates as the joyous celebrations develop.

Source
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:59 am
I actually want to try doing daf yomi but I don't know enough Hebrew or any aramaic, and I have nobody to study with. Maybe next time.

Dauer
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 03:18 pm
dauer wrote:
I actually want to try doing daf yomi but I don't know enough Hebrew or any aramaic, and I have nobody to study with. Maybe next time.

Dauer

In the immortal words of the little fat guy on "Car 54, Where Are You?"
Ooo, ooo, ooooo
Have I got the sight for you:

Daf Yomi online sight

Very Happy
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:23 pm
wow. I would have thought the apocalypse had come before I saw an episcopalian convert to Judaism.

Funny how people usually stick to the religion they are born into, and act like its some kind of absolute truth, when its really random chance. Its always nice to stumble upon someone whos made a conscious choice of religion.

Unfortunately, many religious folk distrust converts from out of their country/race boundaries. For example, Richard Gere as a Buddhist seems odd. non-deity sects of Buddhism and Daoism, particularly Zen Buddhism is/are my favorite religion. But I'd feel out of place in a buddhist monestary.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:48 pm
Ps,

Buddhist centers don't seem very imposing. They're not big and ancient looking. Long as you don't mind sitting on a cushion. Plus, there are retreats sometimes that are at retreat type places.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:50 pm
M3, (there's something fun about abbreviating names)

Thanks! I just watched the video for today. But I have nothing to follow, which is a little confusing. Do you know if there's anywhere that has questions that go along with each day's daf?

The guy on the video sounds like my Zaide, what with the Litvak. Why does he do singsong for the Hebrew and English sometimes? It sounds like my Zaide davenen quietly to himself. He says it's a British accent on his Hebrew, but it's clearly Litvak.

It actually makes it a little difficult to understand the Hebrew of the daf guy. Do you happen to have a Litvak-Modern Hebrew dialect translator handy?

Thanks again.

Dauer
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:08 pm
dauer wrote:
M3, (there's something fun about abbreviating names)

Thanks! I just watched the video for today. But I have nothing to follow, which is a little confusing. Do you know if there's anywhere that has questions that go along with each day's daf?

The guy on the video sounds like my Zaide, what with the Litvak. Why does he do singsong for the Hebrew and English sometimes? It sounds like my Zaide davenen quietly to himself. He says it's a British accent on his Hebrew, but it's clearly Litvak.

It actually makes it a little difficult to understand the Hebrew of the daf guy. Do you happen to have a Litvak-Modern Hebrew dialect translator handy?

Thanks again.

Dauer

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Noo, but I can translate it to Minn-eh-sotan (See the movie Fargo).
I skipped around a bit on the web and could not find the English that you are looking for.
So, the only logical thing to do is to pick up the Schottenstein Artscroll Tractate Berachos, Volume I. This is what I have.
It translates the page, phrase by phrase, including the explanatory English that makes the Hebrew or Aramaic sentences make sense; plus it has extensive footnotes of commentary from Rashi and others.

Example: Today's Daf - Berachos 2a - Chapter One:
Mishna (English explanation and then - )
Hebrew From when may we fullfill the obligation to recite the Shema in the evenings? Hebrew From the time that Kohanim who were tamei may enter to eat their terumah; ie at nightfall.

The bold words are the literal translation of the Hebrew - the rest is the implied English that makes the sentences make sense.
The whole Talmud is available written this way
(It also has the untranslated page with Rashi and Tosefos and other explanations along with the translated page).
If you enjoy this kind of thing, it is well worth the forty or so dollars a Tractate Berachos, Volume I will cost.
If you do not have a friendly neighborhood Jewish bookstore, try Eichlers.com - Hmm, they seem to be having trouble with the site - Okay,
Eichlers via Yahoo - Welcome to Eichlers
Good luck!
0 Replies