Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:44 pm
dauer wrote:
I'll be gone for a while anyway so I may or may not get back to anything addresses to me before monday.

Dauer

Well, Dauer...we really are not talking about perceptions of the god of the Bible here...rather we are talking about the god of the Bible.

There is a huge difference.

I will acknowledge this:

The first 200 pages of (what Christians call) the Old Testament (the Torah) pretty much detail what the god of the Bible says and does.

The next 1000 pages detail what different humans have to say about that god. (Almost time for that old joke: 3 Jews; 6 opinions!)

In any case, the Torah pretty much describes a god that is jealous, absurdly demanding, petty, violent, murderous, barbaric, quick to anger, slow to forgive, vengeful, revenge driven, oppressive and who knows what else all.

The other 1000 pages of the OT are stories of Hebrews falling all over themselves and everyone else talking about how much they adore this god...and thanking the god for damn near everything that ever happens...which mostly is the slaughter of enemies.

I am willing to test this if you want.

Let each of us go to the Torah...and pick out stories where the god is an essential ingredient in the story...and is actually on the spot doing or talking.

I will point out every instance I can find where the god is either threatening someone; killing someone or ordering someone to kill someone else; destroying something; or setting up laws that have death or torture as a punishment for violation.

You point out every instance where the god is being kind and loving and understanding of the human predicament.

Let's see who's list is longer.

Why don't you start.

I know of one you might use on your list...but I just about defy you to find a second.

In the meantime, I can probably make a list a mile long.

That is just the way it is, Dauer.

The god described in the Bible is not a very likeable god.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:57 pm
And it sounds like you've missed my point. It doesn't end there. In Judaism, the word Torah can mean all of our religious writing, sometimes including mystical texts. We are far from sola scriptura. That is why many of the views of God I named were outside of the Torah and outside of the Tanakh.

If you would take Christianity in light of the New Testament, why not take Judaism in light of its other texts?

Dauer
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:02 pm
I want to clarify something. It's not perception of the biblical God. It's perception of God, of which the biblical God is just one perception.

Dauer
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:07 pm
dauer wrote:
And it sounds like you've missed my point. It doesn't end there. In Judaism, the word Torah can mean all of our religious writing, sometimes including mystical texts. We are far from sola scriptura. That is why many of the views of God I named were outside of the Torah and outside of the Tanakh.

If you would take Christianity in light of the New Testament, why not take Judaism in light of its other texts?

Dauer

No I haven't missed your point at all.

Your point is that you want to change the point because the thing we were discussing is not going your way.

I am not commenting on any of those other gods, Dauer.

I am commenting on the god described in the Bible...in the Torah....in the first five books.

That is the god I am talking about.

I am not talking about Zeus, or Wodin, or any other gods.

Let's deal with the god described in the Torah!
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:26 pm
Not really. Do you want me to say that I disagree with the perception of God shared by the various biblical authors? I do. But what does that have to do with the Jewish God? As I have said, the Torah never stopped being written. Each generation adds their own insight. This has nothing to do with the perceptions of gods of other religions. This has to do with how each generation has seen God, God transcending all of these definitions. And that is why I named Maimonides:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maimonides

Mordechai Kaplan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Kaplan

Zalman Shachter-Shalomi

http://www.ohalah.org/rebzalman1.htm

Yehuda HaLevi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehuda_Halevi

Isaac Luria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Luria

etc.

The biblical view of God ended as soon as the bible was written down. After that the view of God continued to change as the people's perception changed. You seem unable to grasp that.

Dauer
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:46 pm
dauer wrote:
Not really. Do you want me to say that I disagree with the perception of God shared by the various biblical authors? I do. But what does that have to do with the Jewish God?

I am talking about the god described in the first five books of the Bible...not any of the dozens you seem to want to introduce. I understand that you are an enterprising person...and the Jews in general are enterprising and intelligent...and I am sure, if given enough time, they can re-invent their god in a way that makes it less disgusting.

Quote:
As I have said, the Torah never stopped being written.

Horseshyt.

The Torah is the first five books of the Bible.

If you want to bring up Talmud or any of that other stuff...do so. We can discuss that. But you are not going to pull off nonsense like "the Torah never stopped being written."

The Torah is what the Torah is.

Quote:
Each generation adds their own insight. This has nothing to do with the perceptions of gods of other religions. This has to do with how each generation has seen God, God transcending all of these definitions.

Rubbish!

Deal with what the Torah descibes...or acknowledge that you are not up to the task.

Quote:
The biblical view of God ended as soon as the bible was written down. After that the view of God continued to change as the people's perception changed. You seem unable to grasp that.

You seem unable to grasp that I am not interested in people's perceptions of the god, because almost immediately Jews started to kiss this god's ass and pretend the god was not the monster the Torah shows it to be.

This conversation started when I wrote:

Quote:
Well....actually....anyone, Jew, non-observant Jew, and/or non-Jew who reads the Torah...and who reads it with an open mind...comes away with the impression that the god described there is a great deal more than bloodthirsty, arbitrary, silly and demonic.

The god is jealous, vindictive, quick to anger, slow to forgive, petty, murderous, barbaric, and so much, much more.

You responded:
Quote:
The God of Genesis is different from the God of the Prophets who is different from the God of the psalmist who is different from the God of the Talmud who is different from the God of the mystics of Tzfat who is different from the mystic Abulafia's God who is different from Maimonides' God who is different from Heschel's God who is different from Morechai Kaplan's God who is different from Kushner's God etc.

But God never changes. It is just these peoples' perception of God that changes.

And I responded:
Quote:
Well, Dauer...we really are not talking about perceptions of the god of the Bible here...rather we are talking about the god of the Bible.

Now we are right back to square one...and you want to pass this off on my lack of understanding.

If you didn't have anything worthwhile to contribute...why didn't you just drop it. Playing this idiotic game is absurd.

I am willing to discuss the god descibed in the first five books of the Bible. If you want to do that...let's do it. If you don't...just tell me that you don't...but don't start this "perceptions" crap...because it ain't gonna fly.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:00 pm
Quote:
Quote:
As I have said, the Torah never stopped being written.

Horseshyt.

The Torah is the first five books of the Bible.

According to Judaism Torah can mean all of the religious writings of the Jewish people. This is a thread about Judaism.

Quote:
If you want to bring up Talmud or any of that other stuff...do so. We can discuss that. But you are not going to pull off nonsense like "the Torah never stopped being written."

I did just link you to a number of pages with different Jewish understandings of God.

Quote:
Rubbish!

Deal with what the Torah descibes...or acknowledge that you are not up to the task.

I think I said already that I don't agree with the biblical perception of God. I don't believe God ever interferes with the laws of physics. If it says, "God did this." I say, "Why was it written that way?"

Quote:
You seem unable to grasp that I am not interested in people's perceptions of the god, because almost immediately Jews started to kiss this god's ass and pretend the god was not the monster the Torah shows it to be.

I would counter that it was really a matter of a change in their awareness of the world. The rabbis were very rational and understood God differently.

Quote:
And I responded:

The problem is that within Judaism, the bible is read through the lense of all of the later commentators. It is not understood on the text alone. I don't see why you have a problem with that.

Quote:
Now we are right back to square one...and you want to pass this off on my lack of understanding.

Yes. You don't seem to understand the way Judaism does things.

Quote:
If you didn't have anything worthwhile to contribute...why didn't you just drop it. Playing this idiotic game is absurd.

I think we're both just having entirely different conversations with each other. I gave you an answer about the way God is portrayed in the bible.

Quote:
I am willing to discuss the god descibed in the first five books of the Bible. If you want to do that...let's do it. If you don't...just tell me that you don't...but don't start this "perceptions" crap...because it ain't gonna fly.

That's your perception of the matter. You seem to be a concrete thinkinerr. Mine says otherwise. Even modern scholarship would disagree that what we read things as is truth. Splitting the sea could be read as the war between the deity and Ocean/Water, which in this case is settled by the deity's people walking across the defeated water.

Dauer
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:33 pm
You are carrying rationalizations to new levels, Dauer...and I don't blame you.

I made a statement.

Quote:
Well....actually....anyone, Jew, non-observant Jew, and/or non-Jew who reads the Torah...and who reads it with an open mind...comes away with the impression that the god described there is a great deal more than bloodthirsty, arbitrary, silly and demonic.

The god is jealous, vindictive, quick to anger, slow to forgive, petty, murderous, barbaric, and so much, much more.

I stand by that statement....your non sequiturs notwithstanding.

When...IF...you want to discuss this ethically rather than trying to dodge what I wrote...let me know. I'll be more than happy to accomodate you.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
I still don't think you understand my position. I've written a prayer for Amalek and all of the other nations demonized by the Jewish people.

Dauer
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:00 pm
Frank, dauer:

I really see you debating past one another.

Please, Frank, there are nuances of which dauer posts that are valid.

"Can't we all just get along?" :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:19 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
Frank, dauer:

I really see you debating past one another.

Please, Frank, there are nuances of which dauer posts that are valid.

"Can't we all just get along?" :wink:

I understand the nuances...and have argued them myself when it was appropriate, FY.

But my statement was very specific...and goes to the written words contained in the first five books of the Bible.

All of the other stuff Dauer has brought to this discussion has been non sequitur to that.

And he attempted to explain his position by ending two posts with comments about how I do not understand. He might just as well just as well shove burning shish kabob skewers up my nose in an attempt to explain!

Yes...we can get along. :wink:
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:25 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Yes...we can get along. :wink:

YAY ... speaking Agnostic to Agnostic here! :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:29 pm
I believe that we ALL can get along.................Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, atheist and agnostic, (have I left anyone out?) if we all learn to respect a person's right to believe as his/her own conscience dictates.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 04:00 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I believe that we ALL can get along.................Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, atheist and agnostic, (have I left anyone out?) if we all learn to respect a person's right to believe as his/her own conscience dictates.

You left out Nazis...which is why I do not agree with you on this. But...we have discussed this before.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 04:08 pm
Frank- Oh, have a great holiday, Frank, and lighten up! Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:25 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Frank- Oh, have a great holiday, Frank, and lighten up! Very Happy

You have a good holiday, too, Phoenix. :wink:
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:55 pm
Re: On Judaism
dauer wrote:

Quote:
And, for most non-observant Jews, G-d can't be the G-d of the Torah, because that indicates to them that G-d is bloodthirsty and arbitrary and silly and even demonic.

I've never come across an educated Jew who feels that way. For me, all of the different views of God are just different ways people have come to understand God. They can offer insight, especially midrashically. The Torah is a living text.

No, most of the educated Jews that I knew acknowledged that god was oftentimes petulant and violent. They chalked it up as A. and example that was made extreme to be a demonstrable point B. something funny, to be laughed off and not considered or C. The truth, and that god can be cruel and kind.

Under B, is the "God will only show us his ass, for anything else will kill us," "Don't kill your brother, even if god says so. Or at least ask me first," "God wants us to be incredibly drunk on passover, so I will be!"
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:59 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
dauer wrote:
I'll be gone for a while anyway so I may or may not get back to anything addresses to me before monday.

Dauer

I will acknowledge this:

The first 200 pages of (what Christians call) the Old Testament (the Torah) pretty much detail what the god of the Bible says and does.

The next 1000 pages detail what different humans have to say about that god. (Almost time for that old joke: 3 Jews; 6 opinions!)

In any case, the Torah pretty much describes a god that is jealous, absurdly demanding, petty, violent, murderous, barbaric, quick to anger, slow to forgive, vengeful, revenge driven, oppressive and who knows what else all.

The other 1000 pages of the OT are stories of Hebrews falling all over themselves and everyone else talking about how much they adore this god...and thanking the god for damn near everything that ever happens...which mostly is the slaughter of enemies.

I am willing to test this if you want.

Let each of us go to the Torah...and pick out stories where the god is an essential ingredient in the story...and is actually on the spot doing or talking.

I will point out every instance I can find where the god is either threatening someone; killing someone or ordering someone to kill someone else; destroying something; or setting up laws that have death or torture as a punishment for violation.

You point out every instance where the god is being kind and loving and understanding of the human predicament.

Let's see who's list is longer.

Why don't you start.

I know of one you might use on your list...but I just about defy you to find a second.

In the meantime, I can probably make a list a mile long.

That is just the way it is, Dauer.

The god described in the Bible is not a very likeable god.

All of this was why there was a need for the new testament. It's like a five thousand year old game of "good cop, bad cop"
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:15 pm
Portal Star wrote:
All of this was why there was a need for the new testament. It's like a five thousand year old game of "good cop, bad cop"

You really believe that?

All this time, I thought the "need" for the new testament is to pretend that Jesus, the Jewish rabbi, was actually the son of God.

That was how Christianity originated, right? So that, since Jesus died for the sins of all who accepted him, nobody ever need take responsibility for bad behavior on earth again? I mean the essential difference between the 2 religions is that Judaism believes in personal responsibility whereas Christianity believes that all one need do is ask Jesus' forgiveness and all is right with the world.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:21 am
dauer wrote:

Quote:
Rubbish!

I think I said already that I don't agree with the biblical perception of God. I don't believe God ever interferes with the laws of physics. If it says, "God did this." I say, "Why was it written that way?"

This one is not a Jew Frank, he's a deist. He doesn't recognise the torah or any other writing as an authority on god and its actions, and he does not belive god interferes with the laws of physics. That off course makes the Tora nothing more than a collection of speculations.

I think if you stop trying to debate the deist as a jew, even though he identifies himself as such, you'll have more luck.
0 Replies