Period after an identifying numeral

rlaid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 04:46 pm
I have a list of product types based on symbols on a drawing. Each symbol includes a numeral identifying the type "1", "2", etc. of a particular product. My question is, should the numerals in my list that cross-references to the symbols be followed by periods, as in a sequenced list? I am going to try to write an example:

T: (where "T' represents the type number of a part for cross-reference to this list)
1 -- Part XYZ
2 -- Part ZYX
Should these numerals be followed by periods?

My inclination is to say "no," but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure I've asked the question in an understandable way.

(If you are still reading, in the first paragraph, I've used commas-vs-quotes the way I think it looks best without regard to what may be correct. Sheesh, you're such a tough crowd.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,250 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 04:58 pm
@rlaid,
If I understand the situation, only use the period if the part number is at the end of a sentence.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:20 am
There is no single "correct" way to punctuate that type of thing. For academic or scientific papers there is usually a style guide. If this is your own publication, choose a style you like and stick to it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 04:00 pm
@rlaid,
If you use the . You won't need the ---
0 Replies