As

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:06 am
Is the sentence fine?

Well, I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chern and myself two years before, as I interviewed him, and put it in the very middle of the bookshelf.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 480 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:03 am
oristar--

I would ask, "Is the sentence acceptable?" As an answer "fine" can mean acceptable, but as a question, "fine" has undertones of "refined", "elegant".

Quote:
Well, I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chern and myself two years before, as I interviewed him, and put it in the very middle of the bookshelf.

Three quibbles here:

Why "soon"? If your actor is acting quickly say "quickly" or "immediately". "Soon" in this sense usually suggests US Southern speech.

Instead of "as" I would use "when".

Instead of "put it" you can get a little colorful with your vocabulary. Did your actor arrange the picture? Display the picture? Plunk the picture down?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:23 am
Thanks Noddy.

Originally, it has used "when", not "as", but the first sentence has used "when". To make the second sentence vivid, so I decided to use "as", and posted the thread to see if it is acceptable. Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:31 am
I'd repeat "when".

When you use "as" you create a picture of the photographer hovering during the interview snapping the camera. The photographer doesn't come into your story--just "you" and "Mr. Chern".

The photograph is important. Taking the photograph is not.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:36 am
Oops!

I've made a mistake.

But thank you Noddy.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:39 am
Eh eh, wait...

Could not that be someone else taken the photo, as common sense?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:58 am
Re: As
oristarA wrote:

By "I soon dug out the photo" I understand "it did not take long before I dug out the photo". If that was what you were expressing I see no need to change it.

Was the photo taken of you interviewing Mr Chen two years before, or did you dig out the photo and place it in the bookshelf while interviewing Mr Chen? "as I interviewed him" expresses the latter, "when I interviewed him" the former.

Additionally "I soon dug out the photo of Mr Chen and myself, taken when I interviewed him two years before" sounds better to me than "I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chen and myself two years before, when I interviewed him".

Perhaps "taken two years before when I interviewed him for this or that newspaper/channel/whatever" or "about this or that subject" would be a nice touch?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:02 am
oristarA wrote:
Eh eh, wait...

Could not that be someone else taken the photo, as common sense?

What noddy meant to say was that "taken as I interviewed him" would convey that you were in the middle of interviewing Mr Chen in the picture, rather than posing with him before/after the interview. (hoovering is sometimes used to mean hanging around, not taking part in any activity)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:10 pm
Yes, Einherjar, "I soon dug out the photo of Mr Chen and myself, taken when I interviewed him two years before" is clearer and better!

And your analysis also has inspired me.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:03 pm
Glad I could be of assistance. Very Happy
0 Replies