cuss words

Seed

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:37 pm
hey can someone help me find the origin of cuss words? i've been googling for a while now and cant find anything... anyone care to help me out? for the love of god please %#@$$^ help me out!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,063 • Replies: 28
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:40 pm
the origins of the phrase 'cuss words' or of all the individual naughty words out there?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:43 pm
well i guess how words become cuss words...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:43 pm
Re: cuss words
Seed wrote:
hey can someone help me find the origin of cuss words? i've been googling for a while now and cant find anything... anyone care to help me out? for the love of god please %#@$$^ help me out!

Laughing
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:44 pm
what it takes to make a word a cus word
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:44 pm
Seed, that'd be a thesis for someone getting a doctorate in linguistics.

Want to pare it down to one or two cuss words?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
well i was having this convertation tonight and trying to figure out just what made a cuss word a cuss word and we couldnt come up with an answer...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:50 pm
I like cuss words sometimes. It's good for the soul :-D
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:54 pm
I always use the "cuss light" version Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:55 pm
How about Jackass. Is that a cuss word? It's just a donkey, right? But it's right on the line, isn't it?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:57 pm
but it still hasnt answered my question... i mean just like kicky said its ont he line... justl ike b*tch is a female dog...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:02 pm
bastard used to be called a child of an unwed mother.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:27 pm
It's a matter of concensus. If enough people (the majority) consider a particular word or phrase offensive, it is considered a cuss word. Generally speaking there are three categories: 1)those that are obviously intentionally insulting; 2) those that are descriptive bodily functions, including sexual and anatomical terms; and 3) those considered blasphemous by the majority (although this latter category is fast becoming accptable in many quarters).

As for (1), bitch is just a female dog, true, but to call a woman a bitch is obviously meant to be insluting. A bastard is a person born out of wedlock (original legal meaning), but to accuse one of being such is, again, meant to be insulting. In the second category, many people feel uncomfortable hearing explicit descriptions of a sexual or scatalogical nature. Thus, euphemisms are devised and the plain old Anglo-Saxon words become socially taboo, i.e. cusswords. Thirdly, it's a cultural thing. There's a Biblical injunction against taking "the Lord's name in vain." Thus religious folk find it offensive to hear exclamations e.g. 'Goddamn!' or 'Jesus Christ!'

You can go to sleep now, Seed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:05 am
Cussing or cursing, using "forbidden" words is an attempt to take the power of taboo language and use it to enhance your message or your emotions.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:58 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

As for (1), bitch is just a female dog, true, but to call a woman a bitch is obviously meant to be insluting.

That makes me wonder if Freud wasn't right after all. Laughing Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
Yep. It took me quite a while to notice that typo, FY, and, without your post, I prob'ly never would have noticed it.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:32 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Yep. It took me quite a while to notice that typo, FY, and, without your post, I prob'ly never would have noticed it.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:33 pm
Hell, no. It's a good thing. I mean, your pointing it out is a good thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:37 pm
There's also the form of the word itself, aside from meaning -- cuss words tend to have the sharp, explosive sounds.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:46 pm
Try this link

http://www.satanosphere.com/story/2003/4/26/144947/440
0 Replies