Does hair change color from repeated shaving?

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:20 pm
I beleive it does, because i've seen it with my own body hair, leg hair....lol....it was blonde when i started then after shaving for awhile it started getting darker. Now my bf says that it changes colour because of some kind of maturity thing......anybody have an answer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,721 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:30 pm
I've never noticed that my facial hair has become any darker since I started shaving around 14 years ago, but it may be different for boys, who knows?!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:33 pm
If you don't shave the hairs may also get bleached by exposure to sunlight or chemicals (soaps, shampoos, etc..) so it wouldn't really be your "natural" color either. Shaved hairs might appear to be a darker color because they wouldn't have as much exposure.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:57 am
That's interesting, but I don't think the sun has much time to bleach my hair. All I know is it was blonde when I started, which was quite a few years ago now, but I rememeber thinking about it when I started shaving too. Me and my girlfriends used to talk about it....lol
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:08 am
I'm with fishin'--age and sun and personal chemistry.

If you cut your hair, the stubble wouldn't change color. What's left after shaving is just stubble under the skin.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:07 am
Hair gets darker as you get older.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:14 am
Quote:
I beleive it does, because i've seen it with my own body hair, leg hair....lol....it was blonde when i started then after shaving for awhile it started getting darker. Now my bf says that it changes colour because of some kind of maturity thing......anybody have an answer?

I believe this might possibly qualify for the "A2K Question of the Year" award, pess.

Let me get in contact with the necessary people and submit your entry.

I feel very confident that we have a winner here and I would like to be your agent.

Deal?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:56 pm
lol...sure gus!!
0 Replies

chevyrocks89

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:47 pm
well
well let me ask you this then, my facial hair was the same as the hair on my head when I started shaving, but once it started coming in thicker I noticed it really wasnt getting darking but it was turning red, I also noticed not only is it turning red its turning black and white so I dont know
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:57 pm
Kristie wrote:
Hair gets darker as you get older.

...and then it starts to turn gray Sad
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
...and then it starts to fall out...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:24 pm
Well.......I like 300 hours taking my stateboard test for cosmotology.

We never did study this, but I think I might can help.

Of course the hair on your legs and face, when it starts to come in is probably lighter, depends on your natural hair color.

You shave it, it gives it blunt tips...which makes it coarser and darker looking.

More exposure to the sun...the lighter it gets.

There are 10 levels of hair color. Starts out as a true black and goes to a white blonde. Anything that says its a level 11 or 12 is not a natural color. ITs a man made color.

The darker your hair..and the more exposure to the sun, your hair starts going through the 10 levels...of course going from 1 and moving up the scale on the hair color. ( I know, its backwards)

Thus...the reason for the red tones in some peoples hair when they have been in tanning beds, sunlight etc...

Also.......medication and age plays a role in hair color, texture etc... and the soaps and shampoos you use.

Read the back of a shampoo bottle and you'll see what all is in it. Usually it starts out with a listing of Water. That means the largest amount of ingredients in that bottle is water and so on. When you get to the last ingredient...it has the least amount. You'll see the color listed there.......exp: Yellow 5 and Red 4...thus your orange shampoo.

That has alot to do with hair color too. Especially if your hair is porous. It soaks up that lil bit of color...even though a lot of hair dresser would probably disagree, but take it from someone that is bleached with porous hair, it WILL soak it up.

You'd be surprised what hair color some people have after they strip thier hair with baking soda or a clarifying shampoo, they wash that build up off and then wonder why they have a different color hair. LOL

So........maybe that has helped.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:47 pm
Wow!! Thanks for all that info, it's greatly appreciated!! Now, my question is: Why do people wash their hair in baking soda?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Wow!! Thanks for all that info, it's greatly appreciated!! Now, my question is: Why do people wash their hair in baking soda?

Never heard of this Surprised
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:35 pm
Baking soda would neutralize acid in the water.

The Bronze Age Irish used to bleach their hair with lye and tease it to alarming proportions, the better to cow the enemy.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:23 pm
Baking soda will strip the cuticle.....it will take all the build up off the hair from shampoo's, conditioners, hairspray etc...

Alot of times, you wash, condition and then use products to tame your hair..hold it, etc. After a period of time... your hair will have a build-up on it and it will become lifeless...kinda dull, won't fix...etc. If you will strip it, it will bring it back to life..so to speak.

I strip mine about once a month. Then condition it heavily. Usually...just use a conditioner and a hot towel..leaving it on for about 30 minutes or longer, than rinsing with cold water. The heat opens the cuticle up and will absorb the conditioner, the cold will close the cuticle and close up with some of the conditioner and help keep it soft.

Also, you can use a daily clarifying shampoo.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
I soppose it would help to explain that your to use the baking soda mixed into the shampoo...about half and half.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 02:26 pm
Seeings how I don't die my hair, or use product, baking soda really wouldn't benefit me I guess.....lol.....interesting still though...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:17 pm
Aww, but SOFP, you'd be surprised by whats in a shampoo or conditioner alone. There is loads of wax in each one of those. It does need stripped off at times. Thats why conditioners soften, it loaded with wax.

But I have to strip mine. I use products that are targeted at African American women...they are stronger and have more hold to them. Besides they are cheaper than the so called name brand ones and work better.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:19 pm
Perhaps i'll try it out, I just wanna make sure I won't damge my hair in the process!!
0 Replies