The meaning of education: Message from an American College Dean

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 09:37 pm
He's a survivor of Nazi concentration camp, now an American college dean. He would send a message to every new teacher who just enters the school that he's witnessed that gas chambers were built by specialized engineers, women were poisoned to death by knowledgeable doctors and children were killed by well-trained nurses; that he thus doubts the meaning of education; that he wants the teachers to return to the root of education to help students grow up to be humane (people); that the efforts of the teachers should not help students to become a well-learned monster, or a versatile pervert, or a well-educated slaughterer...(The above is a translation by me from a newly published Chinese message (see attached pic))

Who is this American college dean (or school master)? My Google search failed to help me find him for the time being.

If you would like to, please help find out who he is.

Thanks in anticipation.

http://img.ziling.com/forum/201709/11/150732dlfed3ddjjewpjlc.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,157 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 05:05 am
@oristarA,
Perhaps its Michael Shinagel who used to be the dean of continuing ed at Harvard. Hes recently produced a memoir that discusses his life through the holocaust. However, Theres the other side of the coin I got from The Death of Expertise wherein Tom Nichols book talks about how "institutionalized denial" is affecting our country.

We should read their thoughts , try to understand and perhaps take away things from a bunch of sources. Ive always hoped that's what education is all about.
Remember, it also took the field engineers to defeat Hitler. I'd be more scared of those masses who deify their leaders unconditionally and dont question anything.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:23 am
@farmerman,

Wow, this English of your is refreshing! It is almost perfect standard English except "ed"(Ed.), "Ive"(I've), "dont"(don't) and "theres"(there's).

Michael Shinagel's story is impressive. His Holocaust Survivor to Harvard Dean:: Memoirs of a Refugees Progress should be read.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:49 am
@oristarA,
I jut try to help your pitiful scholarship skills. My spelling is organically deroven,(with a touch of humor that apprently goes right over yer hayid)

Still working on understanding what science has to say about when evolution begins?
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
PS in the US, Ed is a contraction of the name Edward or, when used together with a B ,M, or D is a level of degree attainment. However ed,(as I used it) is a perfectly acceptable contraction for Continuing education . In such a use, (ed) considered the terminal word in a phrase where only the introductory title word is capitalized.
oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 07:24 pm
@farmerman,
The fact is that I worte Ed., not Ed.
The renowned Longman Dictionary defines Ed. as:

Quote:
ed., Ed. /ed/
1 the abbreviation of education
Higher Ed.

Source: Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

It is better for you to swallow down your bullshit.

Langman Dictionary is trustworthy.
oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 08:53 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The fact is that I worte Ed., not Ed.

Typo: wrote, not worte.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 11:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

However ed,(as I used it) is a perfectly acceptable contraction for Continuing education .

Search ed in Cambridge Dictionary:
Cambridge Dictionary: abbreviation for erectile dysfunction
0 Replies

cameronleon

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2017 07:30 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
...that he wants the teachers to return to the root of education to help students grow up to be humane (people); that the efforts of the teachers should not help students to become a well-learned monster, or a versatile pervert, or a well-educated slaughterer...

Excuse me, OK? but pardon me...

Is this individual who claims has witnessed imaginary events trying to teach what?

Do you think that remembering past events will "teach" you to be "humane"?

How?

Provide an example that remembering the forcing of thousands of American aborigines hundreds of miles walking thru desert areas to a Reservation in New Mexico, will "teach" you to become "humane".

I think that your main intention is not about teaching others to be humane but your topic is just another attempt to promote the propaganda that gas chambers existed in Nazi camps.

Please, after reading my reply, don't play of being the victim that I am a Holocaust denier and similar incongruousness.

The plain truth is that scientifically speaking, there is not a minimum possibility that those gas chambers ever existed in Nazi concentrations camps.

The plain truth is that no one learns to be "humane" by listening stories of imaginary atrocities, or even if the stories were real.

Being humane is learned thru good examples, like mercy on others, helping the one in need, working for the common good, etc.

If that dude has spent his life spreading lies about events that never happened, I can tell that such is the saddest and miserable life ever lived by someone.

Teachers must teach students about "compassion" on dudes like that WW2 survivor, who deserves being in a mental institution rather than promoting being humane thru the spreading on nonsense.

0 Replies