Acupuncture 'works for arthritis'

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:49 am
Acupuncture 'works for arthritis'

Arthritis patients given acupuncture showed a 40% decrease in pain
A major study of the effect of acupuncture on osteoarthritis of the knee has found it can both relieve pain and improve movement.
The US National Institutes of Health study concludes acupuncture is an effective complement to standard care.

Acupuncture patients showed a 40% decrease in pain, and a nearly 40% improvement in knee function.

Details of the study, which involved 570 patients, are published in Annals of Internal Medicine.

These therapies are probably much less damaging than non steroidal anti-inflammatories.

Dr Madeleine Devey
The patients who took part in the study received either acupuncture, sham acupuncture or guidance on self-help, alongside standard drug treatment.

Sham acupuncture is a procedure designed to prevent patients from being able to detect if needles are actually inserted at treatment points.

Researcher Dr Stephen Strauss, director of the US National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, said: "For the first time, a clinical trial with sufficient rigour, size, and duration has shown that acupuncture reduces the pain and functional impairment of osteoarthritis of the knee.

"These results also indicate that acupuncture can serve as an effective addition to a standard regimen of care and improve quality of life for knee osteoarthritis sufferers."

'Extremely encouraging'

By eight weeks into the study, the acupuncture patients were showing a significant improvement in knee function, and by 14 weeks their pain levels had dropped sharply compared with the sham acupuncture and self-help groups.

Dr Madeleine Devey, of the Arthritis Research Campaign, said: "It is extremely encouraging to see a well conducted clinical trial on a complementary therapy for OA that demonstrates a positive effect.

"We are also funding a couple of acupuncture trials in the UK and I know that these trials are extremely difficult to undertake.

"Of course these therapies, which appear to alleviate pain and thus improve mobility and function, do not cure or prevent OA, but nevertheless they are a very useful adjunct to other therapies and probably much less damaging than non steroidal anti-inflammatories."

Acupuncture - the practice of inserting thin needles into specific body points to improve health and well-being - originated in China more than 2,000 years ago.

It is based on the idea that energy, or Qi, flows along channels called meridians in body.

Practitioners say the use of needles can block or stimulate these channels.

Some experts believe that the technique may influence the body's electromagnetic fields.

Professor Anthony Woolf, an expert in arthritis at the Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, Truro, said previous evidence on the benefits of acupuncture had failed to draw any firm conclusions.

"The finding here suggests acupuncture may be useful as a complementary therapy for people who are already on standard treatments, but not getting full relief," he told the BBC News website.

Sham effect

A separate British study also published in the Annals of Internal Medicine indicated that both genuine and sham acupuncture appeared to help reduce neck pain.

Researchers at the University of Southampton compared genuine and sham treatments from the same therapist on 124 patients with chronic neck pain aged between 18 and 80.

Over 12 weeks, patients from both groups reported a decrease in pain levels of more than 60%.

Dr George Lewith, who co-led the trial, said: "Our study implies that most of the improvement gained from acupuncture was not due to the needling process itself but due predominantly to the non-specific yet powerful effects which are probably part of the treatment process."
[/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4111047.stm

Ain't brains grand!!!!!

I have always said it doesn't matter to me whether the benefit I receive from treatments such as acupuncture are placebo, or "real" - BOTH are real - and acupuncture is far safer than most drugs!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:57 am
Great, Deb. My husband can hardly walk, and I refuse to get any of the products that have been suddenly exposed as dangerous to heart patients. Pfizer has ceased advertising Celebrex, but has NOT taken it off the market. The FDA here needs to get out of bed with the big pharmaceutical companies. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:58 am
Related articles:

Acupuncture helps heart patients
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1656262.stm

Acupuncture helps to calm the nerves

Acupuncture can improve the prospects of people with severe heart failure, research has shown.
Researchers found the ancient Chinese practice has the potential to dramatically reduce the pressure on the heart.

This is because it can reduce activity in the sympathetic nervous system, which regulates involuntary movements such as heartbeat and blood pressure.

Acupuncture has been used successfully and with long-range results in improving hypertension, and it may also be beneficial in lowering sympathetic nerve activity

Dr Holly Middlekauff
Over-activation of sympathetic nerves is common in heart failure patients............

Acupuncture fights morning sickness

Acupuncture is becoming popular among GPs

Acupuncture helps relieve morning sickness for pregnant women, a study shows.
It is hoped the findings will give wider recognition of the medical benefits of the ancient Chinese art.

The research follows a previous study which showed acupuncture's success in treating sickness in women recovering from breast surgery, including mastectomies.

Women now have an additional option to manage their morning sickness

Dr Caroline Smith
"Our results have shown that as little as one acupuncture treatment can significantly change the way these women feel," said research co-ordinator Dr Caroline Smith.

The study involved nearly 600 women who were less than 14 weeks pregnant with symptoms of nausea or vomiting.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1842196.stm
(Interesting because "seabands" supposed acupressure devices did NOT help in a trial conducted at the hospital I work for)

Acupuncture 'beats headache pain'

Acupuncture is used to treat pain
Acupuncture is an effective treatment for chronic headaches and should be more widely available on the NHS, experts say.
Writing in the British Medical Journal, UK researchers said patients who were given acupuncture had fewer days of headaches than those who were not.

They also saw their GP less and were not as reliant on painkillers.

The government said doctors could decide to fund the therapy locally, if they felt patients would benefit.

Researchers analysed 401 patients from across the UK who reported several days of severe headaches each week.

They were randomly allocated to receive up to 12 acupuncture treatments over three months or to a control group offering other types of care, typically medication.

This should help to lift acupuncture out of what is seen to be alternative to mainstream medicine

Dr Mike Cummings, British Medical Acupuncture Society
All patients completed a diary of headache and medication use for four weeks at the start of the study and again at three months and 12 months.

They recorded the severity of their headaches on a six-point scale to produce an overall score.

Patients receiving acupuncture experienced 22 fewer days of headache per year, used 15% less medication, made 25% fewer visits to their GP and were absent from work through sickness 15% less than the control group........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3506400.stm

And, no, I am NOT an acupuncturist!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:00 am
dlowan wrote:
I have always said it doesn't matter to me whether the benefit I receive from treatments such as acupuncture are placebo, or "real" - BOTH are real - and acupuncture is far safer than most drugs!

Yeah, and considering the problems that Vioxx, Celebrex and Bextra have been having lately, I think that patients ought to consider alternative treatments.

A few days ago, I treated myself to a shiatsu back massager. It is heavenly. A few minutes on that machine, and I am totally relaxed!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:01 am
waiting for anyone who has an acupuncture experience
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:01 am
In the Western World we train our children to accept and use placebos:

"Mommie will kiss the booboo all better."

Even high-calorie comfort food works to lift gloom until you notice all the new fat cells on your fanny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:08 am
husker wrote:
waiting for anyone who has an acupuncture experience

I use it Husker - for neck/back and immune type stuff - plus the dreaded hormones.

I went from having to use damned antibiotics every month or so for horrible sinus infections, to maybe once every few years.

My GP has begun referring folk - it is also used by pain clinics here very widely.

That is MY kind of placebo.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:09 am
It also cleared an ear of mine that has been half blocked for years in a day - but THAT needle hurt so much, I have been reluctant to have it done again!
0 Replies