is it possible to be allergic to marijuana?

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:57 am
I dont smoke marijuana . I have not about 10 years.
I also dont have asthma.
I have visited my aunt many times. She smokes weed . And i usually dont have a problem. The past 2 times I have visited her home, I have left with what my husband and I both think is an asthma attack. Both times, she was smoking. We have thought about it being something else in her home , but the problem is that I have house sat for her for several days in a row.. and nothing.. no breathing problems nothing.
I was ok at her house for a few hours.. until she started smoking. Then , it was about 30 mintes before I felt my chest caving in and it was getting hard to breathe.
I have never heard of people having allergic reactions to marijuana. But it seemed to trigger me? Maybe? maybe not?
I have researched all my medical books, school books etc. and found nothing about asthmatic reactions to marijuana.. only type of allergic reactions my books speak of is the psychological addiction.
So this doesnt make sence to me..
Anyone ever hear of people having asthma attacks being around marijuana?
Just so the specifics are covered.... No I wasnt sitting close to her, she was in the other room. Nothing else was burning.. candles, incense etc.
There was cigarette smoke in the house, but I know that doesnt bother me. No new animals, plants etc.. No aerosol sprays. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just the marijuana smoke. And with in 30 mintes.. I cant catch m y breath.
??? strange???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,646 • Replies: 16
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:07 pm
From what I understand you can't be allergeic to anything that doesn't have proteins (smoke, perfume, etc.)

You can certainly be bothered by it and have a reaction to it though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:08 pm
Hey!

You might be allergic to the actual plant itself though.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:09 pm
Interesting question, shewolf. I have asthma, but don't seem to be bothered my pot smoke. (Pretty much everything else is a problem for me, though.)

Some good links on the subject:

http://www.everydaywarriors.com/teens/art_allergicpot_forreal.htm

http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/q&a/recent.htm (4th question on the page)

http://www.rxmarihuana.com/lisa.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm
It's got buds, it's got pollens, it's got smoke.
It's not a rare allergen.

Some people get contact dermatitis from handling the plant itself. Lots of opportunities for reaction.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm
wow, i didnt know this.
i find it strange that none of this is referred to in my medical books. I wonder why the studys are not popular?
>hmm<
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:43 pm
That's why I recommend hash brownies....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:45 pm
I don't know about smoke not being allergenic - I remember sitting in the (something) Saloon on Pico Boulevard sneezing my fool head off from the blanket of smoke.... that was after I quit smoking myself.

So I can imagine one kind of smoke being allergenic for you, shewolf.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

I don't know if it's an allergy or not, but when I smoke it, I get real hungry, and I laugh a lot. Should I be worried?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:46 pm
Allergies can come up at any time of your life...your body continually changes. A
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:46 pm
truthfully , the best way to get high from marijuana is to eat it..
but..
I dont know nuttin bout no weed. Uh huh.. no way.
Im as clean as a whistle. Angel even. ;-)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:14 pm
I have a buddy who is just a few years younger than me...and still smokes every day like we did in the seventies...and this guys a freakin accountant!!!

I don't see how he does it....these days two hits and I can't find the doorknob to get out of the house....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:09 pm
I actually think that I'm allergic to marijuana.

I'm allergic to most species of grass and weeds, so this is unsuprising.

So, doc, could you eh, include cannabis in my allergy shot?

Not that I've ever tried it. Ahem.
0 Replies

Ives

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:26 am
I'm a pot recreational user, ( three times a week average). In a couple of occasions after smoking, I've had an allergic reaction, sneezing and itchy eyes, it is quite unconfortable; the last time we're having people over and after dinner and after a couple glasses of wine, a joint went around as it has always in the past, after 15 minutes I started sneezing like crazy and my eyes got so red an itchy...that was the end of the party for me.

Now the question, can somebody develop an allergy to pot after being using it for a while?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
Hi Ives!

Like Kristie said, allergies can come up at any time in your life.

I had an episode of a severe allergic reaction to shrimp about 6 months ago. It was bad... fancy hives, vomiting and the so dangerous throat shutting crap collapse (oboy! was that f*ed up).

Not in a million years did I imagine I was allergic to shrimp. I ate shrimp (and a lot of it) my entire life. Shrimp, lobster, crab, oisters, etc...

Funny thing is that I still eat shrimp quite frequently (pretty stupid of me, huh? hehe) and all I feel is a little funny itch in my throat.

So maybe you don't become allergic to it. You can be allergic and not have much of a reaction...
0 Replies

Ives

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:54 pm
I guess...and also Allergies come an go. Like you superjuly, I am a seafood fanatic; and I've had a couple of episodes like you, once I ended up in the hospital looking like the incredible "hulk". However, becoming allergic to pot suddenly, I find it a little strange...
0 Replies