Good thing

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:04 am
Have I used "good thing" properly in the context below?

Context:

This morning he saw his doctor, and was given a clean bill of health.

Hearing this, we immediately congratulated him, saying that was a good thing, a good news indeed. Elated, Mr.Chen looked like a child, saying, repeatedly: Yes, good news, good news indeed!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 677 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:10 am
Looks good to me, OristarA, except that I would remove the "a" which comes before "good news indeed" because it is not needed.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:41 am
Thanks Grand Duke.

I'd like to hear more mavens' opinion.

PS. Has the colon after "repeatedly" been used properly?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:50 am
I have to admit that I'm not sure. I think it looks okay, but probably better waiting for someone to confirm.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:06 am
Okay.

I feel using two sayings in the same short paragraph sounds a bit awkward. Do you agree with me? If so, how to make the para vivid by changing one of them to a proper word?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:11 am
Not sure about the colon either, but I would remove the comma between saying and repeatedly.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:16 am
Possible alternative to the colon, and with Einherjar's suggestion about the comma:

Elated, Mr Chen looked like a child, saying repeatedly "Yes, good news, good news indeed!"

And maybe I would write "Mr Chen" instead of "Mr.Chen". Using "Mr. Chen" is perfectly okay, but in everyday usage the "." is not often seen.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:20 am
This morning he saw his doctor, and was given a clean bill of health.

Hearing this, we immediately congratulated him, saying that was a good thing, good news indeed. Elated, Mr.Chen looked like a child, saying, repeatedly: "Yes, good news, good news indeed!"

Oristar, the colon is correct, but strictly speaking, the succeeding remarks, being a quote, should be in quotation marks. However, a common usage is arising in which it would be as you had written it--that is, a colon followed by a quote, without quotation marks. That is a casual usage, however, not the formal method.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:22 am
Thanks.

But the question is that the quotation is indirect. Of course it is perfect to put a direct quotation into quotation marks.

Here I am not sure whether using "long ago" is proper:

Seeing that we were puzzled, Mr. Chen went on to explain that he has had a vein thrombus, and was in the hospital for two months not long ago.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:29 am
Perhaps "recently" would fit the bill?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:59 am
I'm afraid "Recently" sounds to close to the day of "getting the clean bill of health".
0 Replies