'Man of the Year' Redux

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:31 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/20/bush1_narrowweb__200x263.jpg

Quote:
US President George W Bush's bold, uncompromising leadership and clear-cut election victory made him Time magazine's Person of the Year for 2004, its managing editor said today.

Time chose Bush "for sticking to his guns (literally and figuratively), for reshaping the rules of politics to fit his 10-gallon-hat leadership style and for persuading a majority of voters this time around that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years," Jim Kelly wrote in the magazine.

Bush was also Time's choice to appear on the cover in 2000 after winning the presidential election despite losing the popular vote.

[quote]His father, President George HW Bush, was named Man of the Year in 1990 for what Time called his mastery of foreign policy and his wavering domestic record.[/quote]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:40 pm
Quote:
"This is a world that is much more uncertain than the past. In the past we were certain, we were certain it was us versus the Russians in the past. We were certain, and therefore we had huge nuclear arsenals aimed at each other to keep the peace. That's what we were certain of. ... You see, even though it's an uncertain world, we're certain of some things. We're certain that even though the 'evil empire' may have passed, evil still remains. We're certain there are people that can't stand what America stands for. ... We're certain there are madmen in this world, and there's terror, and there's missiles and I'm certain of this, too: I'm certain to maintain the peace, we better have a military of high morale, and I'm certain that under this administration, morale in the military is dangerously low."

Albuquerque, N.M., the Washington Post, May 31, 2000
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:28 pm
Quote:
"This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating."

New York Daily News, April 23, 2002
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:29 pm
That Albuquerque quote is priceless, Mr. S. I'm certain it is...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:55 pm
Quote:

Denver, Aug. 14, 2001
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
Quote:
"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYN's aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country."

Sept. 6, 2004, Poplar Bluff, Mo.

The Love President?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:02 am
Quote:
"It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America."

Dakar, Senegal, July 8, 2003
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:16 am
Quote:
"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat."

Washington, D.C., Sept. 17, 2004

And what did Old Europe and the UN ever do about the dangerous stockpiling of headwear in Iraq? It was clear the USA had to act to get them to cease their millinery build-up!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:03 am
I think I have herniated myself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:04 am
Not many reflexive verbs left in English - odd that that should be one of them.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:11 pm
Quote:
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:21 pm
Quote:
Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2004

Memo to Cable TV Chiefs: New concept, 'When Killers Kill!'
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Quote:
"[T]he illiteracy level of our children are appalling."
Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:30 pm
Quote:
"I was a prisoner too, but for bad reasons."

To Argentine President Nestor Kirchner, on being told that all but one of the Argentine delegates to a summit meeting were imprisoned during the military dictatorship, Monterrey, Mexico, Jan. 13, 2004

This is the most breathtakingly (real word or not Deb?) ignorant statement I have ever read. What the frickin' hell IS he talking about?
0 Replies