Boston, why bother w/ January when you can have a SuperJuly?

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:14 pm
oh, SuperJuly, you're Brazillian, right? I know a woman who is as well, maybe she can tell you where Brazillian grocers are located and stuff. What was that tapioca/cassava/mantioc stuff you and craven were talking about....?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:14 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
What do you like for nightlife? Bars, pubs, clubs?

What I like for nightlife? A DJ/dancefloor/bar combo will do. I'm not so much into the "bar" bar and pub scene. I get bored very easily (or super drunk and me not like it!) unless I'm with a group of friends or sth and since it won't be the case in Bahstin (at least not at first) I'm just looking foward to the dance clubs. I love to dance and you'll usually find me at the dancefloor when I'm out. Sooo... some of the places you mentioned sound like fun to me. I did manage to find a couple of them on Citysearch and Avalon does sound like a great place!

A 2hr drive for a ski trip doesn't sound bad at all. And Montreal and NYC are definitely in my itinerary. I'm veeery excited being surrounded by things other than corn fields and the highly polluted lake michigan waters. Some days I just need to be 2-5 hrs away from something spectacular in order to keep my sanity. Boston will surely give me that.

littlek wrote:
oh, SuperJuly, you're Brazillian, right? I know a woman who is as well, maybe she can tell you where Brazillian grocers are located and stuff. What was that tapioca/cassava/mantioc stuff you and craven were talking about....?

Yes, I'm brazilian and I know for a fact that the largest brazilian community in the US is in the Boston area. They're mostly concentrated in Framingham and Somerville, but I'm sure they're everywhere. I have a friend in Boston that I used to work with in Chicago, and although not brazilian, he knows where to find this stuff. Thanks for the thought.
That stuff we were talking about is mandioc starch. It came up when Craven asked for a recipe of this one brazilian dish and I didn't know the equivalent to "polvilho" in english. Any mandioc related dish is very popular out here and sooo delicious!

Thanks for mentioning the excellent public transportation system. That's something I was wondering about too, since I'll be using it. I can't wait to be freezing my arse off at a bus station. I'll be heading to Boston from a hot and humid 85ยบ+ 365 days/year weather. It sure sounds like I'll be catching a major bug when I get there. Sounds like fun already! Shocked

BTW, thank you guys. I noticed my rude arse didn't say thanks on the initial post. Hehe... ooOoops!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:20 am
Brighton/Allston is a big Brazillian community. Couple of good restaurants, "Cafe Brazil" is one of the best in Boston, and "Cafe Belo" is decent, buffet style.

When Brazil won the World Cup a couple years ago, that area was nuts.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Brighton/Allston is a big Brazillian community.
Couple of good restaurants, "Cafe Brazil" is one of the best in Boston,
and "Cafe Belo" is decent, buffet style.

When Brazil won the World Cup a couple years ago, that area was nuts.

It sure was.

I went to the Fire Bull Brazilian BBQ in Peabody (city north of Boston)
when Brazil won the cup and I wore my Brazil national team jersey.
People kept trying to talk to me in Portuguese (I don't speak a word of it).
I was amazed by how many cars were draped in Brazilian colors.

You'll love Cambridge! My daughter goes to school there and I don't
think she'll ever move back to Stoneham.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:55 am
Yes... I remember getting a lot of calls from Brighton and Allston when working as an interpreter too.

And that day... I was in Chicago. The brazilian community out there is much much smaller, but there was a lot of partying going on as well from the night before because the game started at 4:30 I think. I got out with a flag on my car's rooftop and met up with a bunch by the Lake Shore Dr. The cops busted our victory partying... We took the party home that day.

I'm sure I'll be feeling much more like home this time, specially with the food! Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:58 pm
Good sized Brazilian community in Everett as well. Most upscale Brazilian-French restaurant in town: Bamboa, hidden away on Stanhope St., a back alley, really.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:09 pm
hmmmm, I should try a brazillian restaurant some day.

SuperJuly. There are 2 heavily used boston-based websites you should know about: boston.com and phoenix.com
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:57 pm
Lips wrote:
Bahstin

perfect pronunciation! Smile
0 Replies