Boston, why bother w/ January when you can have a SuperJuly?

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:28 pm
(thanks nimh)

All right, all right... I've started the "I'm coming to Boston" thread already.

Why?

Because I am moving to Boston in january (Cambridge, to be precise).
YaaaaaY! First time in town aaaand since you guys are a bunch of super cool folks (and many from the Boston area), I'm asking you...

How is the nightlife? What clubs are hot spots and with all the graciously handsome straight men? (BTW, what's up with these places shutting down at 2AM anyway? Pfffffff! Rolling Eyes )
How far from Montreal is it?
How far from NYC is it?
Is there a decent ski resort around the area?
Where to go, what to do, what to see, what to know...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,405 • Replies: 27
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:31 pm
Wowsa! I live in Cambridge. Where ya moving to? Can you send PMs (I can't figure out where the line is for those who can and those who can't PM)?

I can't tell you much about hot nightlife as I'm a bit of a home body. It's maybe 8 hours to Montreal and about 4 hours to NYC.

There is skiing in MA, NH, VT and ME.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:45 pm
No, I can't send PMs littlek... :\ That just ain't fair! (you hear that A2K administrators??? IT AIN'T FAAAAAAAIR!!!)

I'm staying at the dorms at first until I get comfortably acquainted with the city. <sigh> Just the thought of living in college dorms again makes me wanna screeeeam!

How far from downtown is Cambridge anyway?
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:52 pm
Li'lk can send july a pm, that's no problem.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 04:09 pm
hey lips,
the first thing you should do is learn the proper pronunciation: bahstin
the -bah- part is like how scrooge'd say it... them noo yawkers like to say "baw-stun".
that won't do...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 04:44 pm
there's a heap of great A2kers in Boston. You'll have a blast.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:04 pm
I'm only looking foward to it panzade. :wink:
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:35 pm
be sure to meet them, I've met some A2Kers on my trips to the States, last year once, and this twice. It was nothing less than awesome.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:29 pm
Well, Boston is 2.5-3 miles from harvard square (that's a guess). But it takes quite some time to get there and more time to find parking. We do have a good subway and bus system. Basically, Cambridge is just across a relatively narrow river from Boston.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:03 pm
I'm envious, I want to meet the Boston folks too, plus spend about a week there checking it out. (My mother was born in Watertown, in 1901.)

In the meantime, I am reading the Dennis Lehane books - detective stories set in Boston environs. A tad gory, but hey.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:26 pm
I don't know how you drive, littlek, but I can make it to Montreal in about five hours. It's not that much further than NYC, really, if you cut straight up through NH and a corner of Vt.

Cambridge and Boston are sort of like Minneapolis and St. Paul -- just walk across a bridge. I'm not much into nightlife, either, but I'm told the hot clubs are all on Lansdowne Street or that vicinity. Since I'm into jazz much more than rock. I'm more likely to be found at the Regatta Bar or Sculler's or Wally's than the Lansdowne Street pubs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:27 pm
I was just guessing, Andrew. I thought about it later and figured it was a shorter drive.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:35 pm
Cambridge to Montreal (according to MapQuest): Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 25 minutes Total Est. Distance: 308.47 miles
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:38 pm
Re: Boston, why bother w/ January when you can have a SuperJ
superjuly wrote:
(thanks nimh)
How is the nightlife? What clubs are hot spots and with all the graciously handsome straight men? (BTW, what's up with these places shutting down at 2AM anyway? Pfffffff! Rolling Eyes )
How far from Montreal is it?
How far from NYC is it?
Is there a decent ski resort around the area?
Where to go, what to do, what to see, what to know...?

What do you like for nightlife? Bars, pubs, clubs? Cambridge is a pretty cool spot for laid back bars and live music. That area isn't as pretentious as some of the downtown spots, and you're walking or cheap cab ride to a lot of bars.

Downtown from Cambridge....you're pretty much right there. 10 minutes tops in a car.

The sections of Boston for nightlife pretty much breaks down like this:

-Fanueil Hall: 90% Irish bars, fairly young crowd, with a couple of more upscale places. The Rack is a big bar where people are dressed up a little more, is expensive, and crowd is mixed between 20 and 30-something professionals. Ned Devines, is a really fun place. Huge, big dancefloor, 20's yuppie-ish crowd. Then there's some cheesier bars, but can be fun. There's ALOT of bars in a small area, this is THE place to go for barhopping.

-Newbury St and Boylston St: they run parallel to each other, and is about 1 mile of bars, really good restaurants, and is for the most part expensive/swanky. Well, Newbury St. is where the designer stores are, so they have a lot of maritini type bars. Alot of Europeans hang out there.

Boylston St. has some more laid back bars, but a couple are pretty fun. Foggy Goggle re-creates the spring break scene, very loose, loud place. Whiskey's is a "beer drinking" bar, then "Vox" is a little more upscale.

Fenway Park/Landsdowne St: Fenway has, obviously, some sports bars. Cask N' Flagon, Copperfields, Who's on First. I would stay away for the most part, unless you're going to watch a game.

Landsdowne has "clubs." Avalon is probably the most popular. I just saw DJ Tiesto there last weekend. Insane sound system. Tequilla Rain is a very cool place. Very big, usually a decent crowd, big dance floor, top 40.

Theatre District/Alley: theatre district has the Roxy, which is another house music club. Little different from Avalon, this place is filled with young, gorgeous people. Women get slutted out, and there's a lot of muscle heads. Good music, pretty fun place. Then there's Aria(haven't been in years). Euro-crowd, extremely expensive. I remember about 5 years ago a martini was $10.

Alley: Big Easy, or we locals call "Big Cheesy." You go here if you want to get absolutely hit on by 299 hammered college guys. Big dance spot, either live bands or top-40/hip hop. Then a couple other places that suck. Pravda is kind of cool, very Euro-crowd, posh bar with a nightclub in the back.

Skiing. There's sugarloaf about 45 minutes away. I haven't been, but it's supposedly "ok." It's a small mountain. You can hit good ones up in NH/VT in a couple hours.

Montreal is actually only about 4 hours from car. NYC in little as 3.5 to 4 hours.

Let me know if you have any other questions...I've been known to tear it up, just a little bit.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:39 pm
Having been born in and attended college (undergrad) in Bahstun, I found myself in New Hampshire for a first job. The plan was to spend a few years here and move back to Mass.

Something went terribly right, and I have been here in the sticks for 31 years. I now have a 10-year-old and I'll take NH any day! She may not have all the cuktural offerings, but she's doing just fine!

Winters are another story....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:44 pm
Actually, 90% of all bars in this entire area are Irish Pubs. And, my experience with Irish Pubs is not that they are upscale. Not the ones I go to anyway....

You can oackage deals for skiing. You buy bus fare and ski lift passes as one package. You have a ride up and backand can ski your little heart out in between (with stops at the lodge for cocoa and schnapps).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:45 pm
Ooops, Bermits, I have cousins who were raised in NH. They have kids now and one (cousin) is now moving back to the Boston area because her daughter asked her "why does that man have such dark skin?". It may have been the first black man she'd ever seen (at age 4).
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:48 pm
NH is still 94% white.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
Mapquest, I don't believe Mapquest since the time it told me it would take me something like 11 hours to get to Tomales Bay. Nah, five and a few minutes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:50 pm
It gives you direction as if you're going the speed limit. Big mistake.
0 Replies