This Just Adds Insult To Injury IMO

Baldimo

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:05 pm
Re: Baldimo
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Baldimo, you must have been listening to CNN Wolf Blitzer's interview with Ann Coulter a few minutes ago. You've quoted her sarcastic response about Rumsfeld. No original thinking from you.

BBB

Original thinking all the way, I'm at work with no access to watch TV. I'm going off of what I now to be people's jobs and using common sense. Are the Platoon Leaders or Company Commanders writing personal letters the families of soldiers? I would think it was their job to do so, seeing as how they know the soldiers. Rumsfield doesn't know the soldiers so how can he write a personal letter to the families?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:12 pm
I think the idea is to express personal condolences....and I also think you're bright enough to get that point and you're just taking a posture......and yues, it would be a difficult and time consuming task....the difference between leadership and great leadership....so I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:23 pm
ARMY CASUALTY OPERATIONS (AR 600-8-1)
CASUALTY OPERATIONS (AR 600-8-1)

YOUR ROLE: Assist the commander and entire chain of command to accomplish all actions required when a casualty occurs in your unit. Know the procedures and tasks and ensure they are done with dignity and sensitivity and in a timely manner.

The emotional trauma of a death in your unit must not impair or delay the actions required in response to the casualty. The following categories of casualties must be reported to the appropriate authority:

Deaths.
Missing persons.
Special category patient.
Special interest casualty matters.
Inoverseas locations, the following are also reported:
Very seriously wounded, injured, or ill (VSI).
Seriously wounded, injured, or ill (SI).

Once a casualty occurs in your unit, immediately verify the name and SSN and notify the installation/division casualty section. They coordinate with the medical or other appropriate authorities for all necessary information in order to prepare the casualty report. The casualty report is sent by the casualty section electronically to HQDA.

The casualty section also initiates notification procedures, as appropriate, to the primary and secondary next of kin (PNOK and SNOK).

CASUALTY NOTIFICATION

Commissioned officers and senior enlisted personnel in grades SFC and above may be used for casualty notification. As much as possible, officers will be used rather than senior enlisted personnel. The grade of the notifier will be equal to or higher than the deceased person or his/her spouse. The notification officer should have a similar background to the casualty to better answer any questions the NOK may ask.

Certain categories of soldiers will not be used as notifiers: chaplains, Recruiting Command personnel, students, military intelligence personnel and other people whose duties do not require them to wear a uniform. Medical Service Corps personnel may be used under unusual circumstances unless prohibited by AR 40-1.

Personal notification will be made first to the PNOK and then the SNOK of deceased and missing persons for whom casualty reports are required. Notification officers will be courteous, helpful, and sympathetic, and they will try to soften the blow, if possible. Notifiers will use good judgment in not giving gory or embarrassing details. Notification should be done promptly.

If the NOK is not fluent in English, a qualified linguist may accompany the notification officer. A chaplain may accompany the notification officer. Notification officers should be aware of telephone numbers for local ambulance and hospital services.

The following words should be used by the notification officer:

Death cases: The Secretary of the Army has asked me to express his deep regret that your (relationship) (died/was killed in action) in (country/state) on (date). (State circumstances.) The Secretary extends his deepest sympathy to you and your family in your tragic loss.
Missing cases: The Secretary of the Army has asked me to express his deep regret that your (relationship) is (missing/ missing in action) in (country/state) on (date). (State circumstances.) When we receive more information, you will be promptly notified. The Secretary extends his deepest sympathy to you and your family during this trying period.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts concerning notification procedures:

DO

Wear a class A uniform and ensure strict military bearing.

Call on the NOK promptly (normally between 0600 hours and 2200 hours).

Make the visit as inconspicuous as possible.

Try to be as natural as possible.

Watch for any adverse reactions. Ask other members of the family to help, or find out if you can call a friend or neighbor.

Tell the person a casualty assistance officer (CAO) will come later, but don't specify a date or time.

Tell the person a confirmation tele- gram will be sent. Advise that there be a 24-hour time lapse. Verify the NOK's complete name and 45-day mailing address.

If the NOK is not at home, get help from neighbors, friends, clergy, postmaster, or police chief. However, don't disclose the purpose of the mission. Once the notification action has begun, it must be continued to completion.Inform the PNOK that personal notification will be made to the SNOK if required. Inform the SNOK that the PNOK has been informed.Inform the PNOK that a letter will be coming from the commander with more details.

DON'T

Notify the PNOK or SNOK by phone.

Call for an appointment prior to notification.

Hold notes or a speech while making the notification.

Disclose the message except to the person concerned.

Leave word with neighbors to have the NOK call you.

Speak hurriedly.

Use code words or acronyms.

Touch the NOK.

Discuss entitlements.

Discuss the disposition of remains or personal effects.

Inform the SNOK that the CAD will visit them.

Commit yourself, your unit, or the Army to action of any kind.

Stop in taverns or similar places before meeting the NOK.

LETTERS OF SYMPATHY, CONDOLENCE, AND CONCERN

A letter of sympathy is sent to the PNOK of all deceased soldiers. An additional letter is sent to the parents when they are not the PNOK. If the parents are separated or divorced, a separate letter is sent to each parent. Letters of sympathy will not be prepared for those NOK who, by their presence or through some appropriate source, are fully aware of the circumstances surrounding the casualty. In such cases, a letter of condolence is prepared. It will convey condolence on a person's death, but will not describe the circumstances surrounding that death.

The soldier's commander prepares the letter of sympathy. Keep letters sincere and in simple language. Show a warm, personal interest in the soldier and the addressee. Extend condolences and describe the circumstances surrounding the soldier's death or missing status.

The installation casualty section or another authority designated by the general court-martial convening authority reviews the letter of sympathy for compassion, clarity, accuracy, and complete- ness before it is sent. Letters of sympathy are dispatched after notification of the NOK is confirmed.

Commanders who would normally send a letter of sympathy will send a letter of condolence when the NOK:

Was present at the time of death and knows the circumstances first hand.

Has been provided the details by some appropriate authority, such as, the local police.

Appropriate commanders in the chain of command (other than the commander writing the letter of sympathy), medical facility commanders, and chaplains may write letters of condolence.

The installation casualty section or another authority designated by the general court-martial convening authority reviews the letter of condolence to ensure compassion, clarity, accuracy, and completeness before it is sent.

Commanders of personnel who are VSI or SI may write a letter of concern to the NOK. The preparation and review procedures for letters of concern are the same as those for letters of sympathy.

PERSONAL EFFECTS/AFFAIRS

When a soldier dies, the personal effects/affairs must be turned over to the NOK. Personal effects of soldiers who are missing for more than 30 days or dropped from the rolls (DFR) are also forwarded to the NOK.

The following actions are taken:

Commanders forward personal effects of dead soldiers to the surviving spouse or legal representative after collecting, inventorying, and screening. A summary court officer is appointed to do this when the spouse or legal representative is not present at the installation where the effects are located.

The summary court officer collects any debts and accepts claims of creditors against the soldier's estate.

The summary court officer must complete all actions within 30 days in CONUS and 45 days in overseas areas.

The unit commander plays a key role by immediately securing and inventorying personal effects until they can be turned over to the legal representative or summary court officer.

CASUALTY ASSISTANCE

The Army provides a CAO to the NOK of a military person in the event of a soldier's death. The CAO is normally detailed by the casualty section at division or installation level. In some cases, the NOK may ask for a CAO by name. CAO duties take priority over all other duties of the appointed officer until he completes his duties as CAO. DA Pam 608-33 gives the responsibilities of the CAO.

WARTIME

For wartime casualty operations to be successful, accurate and timely casualty reporting needs to be accomplished. Casualty reporting will help to reconcile hasty strength reporting. DA Forms 1156 and 1155 will be used to report all battle and nonbattle casualties. The DA Form 1155 (Witness Statement) will be submitted for all the casualties listed as follows:

Dead. remains not recovered. If the witness knows the individual was actually killed but the remains were not recovered.

Missing (MIS). Anytime an individual becomes missing. This could happen during an attack or when the unit is not engaged. Based on the evidence. the commander must make a determination if the individual is in fact missing. AWOL. or missing in action.

Missing in action (MIA), captured (CAP), interned (INT), and detained (DET ). Only if the witness knows for a fact and was an eyewitness to the incident. If the soldier completing the forms was not an eyewitness but only believes the casualty is in one of the above categories. the casualty status will be MIS. The commander determines actual status after all available information has been received.

The DA Form 1156 (Casualty Feeder Report) will be submitted for all casualties. hostile and nonhostile.

PROCEDURES

The casualty reporting procedures in your unit should function as follows:

a. Each individual soldier should carry a blank DA Form 1155 and 1156. Squad leaders and platoon sergeants are encouraged to carry a booklet of 1155s and 1156s. Soldiers will report all casual- ties they witness or find, to include American civilians, soldiers from other units or services, and allied soldiers. If forms are not available, casualty information will be written on blank paper. These reports and witness statements will be forwarded via company headquarters to the company commander/first sergeant.

b. The company commander/first sergeant or a designated soldier will collect the casualty feeder reports and witness statements. He will verify as much information as possible and update the battle roster and casualty log. The reports and statements will then be forwarded to the Sl forward or main depending on the way the Sl is deployed.

c. The Sl forward will manually post all casualty data to their casualty log, PSR, and PRR. The Sl will keep the commander and the S3 advised of the battalion's casualty posture. Casualty reports and witness statements will be forwarded to the Sl rear as soon as the tactical situation permits. The Sl rear and Sl main will need to schedule periodic reconciliation's of casualty input. This will enable them to account for all input and status changes.

d. The Sl rear will maintain a casualty log as a manual backup to the Army Casualty Information Processing System-Light (ACIPS-L) report. Daily reconciliation of casualty status will be effected with GRREG, the battalion aid station, and the provost marshal. The Sl forward will reconcile with the aid station if it is located nearby.

e. The Sl rear will continuously monitor and try to resolve all open casualty cases. They will seek additional information from all potential sources such as GRREG, hospital admissions and dispositions sheets, EPW interrogations, and straggler reports.

NOTIFICATION STANDARDS

For KIA, the primary and secondary NOK will be notified.

Notification includes an explanation of the circumstances of death or injury.

The PNOK is notified if the injury or illness is serious.

Medical notification is accomplished by the attending physician if the soldier is stateside.

REFERENCES:

AR 600-8-1: Army Casualty Operations/Assistance/Insurance
FM 12-16: Personnel Doctrine
DA Pam 608-4: A Guide for the Survivors of Deceased Army Members
ACIPS-L Slide Presentation
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:39 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think the idea is to express personal condolences.... and yues, it would be a difficult and time consuming task....the difference between leadership and great leadership....so I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.....

Do you really want the Sec. of Defense to write personal condolence letters to families, when they know he didn't know the soldier? I would be more insulted by the cheap attempt at a personal letter then a formal one.

Quote:
and I also think you're bright enough to get that point and you're just taking a posture

Isn't everything just a posture when it all comes down to it. I mean you like anything that makes the admin look bad regardless of what an admin would do that you like. If it was a lib in charge doing this would you have the same posture about it?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:41 pm
If a "lib" was in charge and tkaing the cavalier approach that rummy takes he wouldn't be a "lib" now would he?

As far as liking whatever makes the admin. look bad....I hate all of it and wish they'd stop doing it....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:51 pm
Secretary of Defense? There are several instances on record where President Abraham Lincoln took the time to sit down and write a personal note of condolence to persons bereaved by the War Between the States.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:08 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Secretary of Defense? There are several instances on record where President Abraham Lincoln took the time to sit down and write a personal note of condolence to persons bereaved by the War Between the States.

Ok looking forward a hundred years, have there been any other instances of this happening?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:12 am
Baldimo wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Ok looking forward a hundred years, have there been any other instances of this happening?

Gives new meaning to the term they don't make 'em like they used to doesn't it? Maybe we had more "patriots" back in the day because more of the citizenry felt in partnership with government instead of being used by government....felt like the government was serving them instead of being made to feel like servants of a few nest feathering politicians and business men...like Lincoln said.."You can fool some of the people all of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time".
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Gives new meaning to the term they don't make 'em like they used to doesn't it?

You can say that again, that goes for every politician!

Quote:
Maybe we had more "patriots" back in the day because more of the citizenry felt in partnership with government instead of being used by government..

I don't think it has anything to do with being a patriot then or now, I think it has to do with the level of work one has to do in the modern times. I don't know about you, but the "being used by the govt" is a subjective feeling and maybe even a posture as you stated before.

Quote:
felt like the government was serving them instead of being made to feel like servants of a few nest feathering politicians and business men...like Lincoln said.."You can fool some of the people all of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time".

I still feel as if the govt is serving me and I don't feel used. How is it that you feel as if you are serving the govt? Could you please explain this?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:03 pm
I'm ( along with every other citizen except the super rich ones) financing corporate bail outs...fat cat no bid reconstruction contracts....a costly, useless and draining "war" in Iraq.....enough pork to build a sausage to the moon....are you shitting me?
0 Replies