This Just Adds Insult To Injury IMO

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:13 am
If I just lost a child in service of this whatever it is and the Secretary of Defense is an uncaring fvckup of major proportions like Rumsfeld...I'll take a pass on some crocodile tear stained letter signed by him personally....to me, it would be a further insult to my childs death....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/19/rumsfeld.signature/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,860 • Replies: 29
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:20 am
It's his duty, and I'm sure you know what that rhymes with.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:25 am
Rummy's on his way out, anyway, it looks like.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:26 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Rummy's on his way out, anyway, it looks like.

I'm sure someone twice as bad is warming up in the bushpen......
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:32 am
You want "insult to injury?"

Guess who Time Magazine selected as their Man of the Year?

No...not Rummy.

Hint: Bumper Sticker: Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
Don't forget -- Time magazine also once named Adolph Hitler their person of the year once, too.

Ah, isn't it sweet that Rummy is willing to risk writer's cramp in sacrifce for his country. That man is a true patriot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:12 am
Quote:
At the start of the global war on terror, Rumsfeld said, he was "determined that it is important that military families who have lost loved ones in hostile actions receive a letter from me directly."

Well, sure. It is absolutely critical to the war effort that he sit as his desk and sign his name. That way the families will always have a nice collectible with which to replace their son or daughter.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:17 am
"To whom it may concern----
----------------------------
your pal Donald"
ps. seasons greetings.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:43 am
BBB
Dear Mother and Dad of _______________

I regret that I have but one life to give for our country---your child's.

Sob,

Rummy

cc: File (top secret classified)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 02:43 pm
Well, to be fair, to many families that might well mean something - that the Secretary of Defence, or whatever he is, signed it personally. Are not many military families quite patriotic, too????

I mean, I think very little that is good of the man - but I think that is a perfectly reasonable thing that he is doing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
Oh - I see - they were using auto-signature. Hmmmmmmmm - that ain't nice - I think you need a REAL signature from whomever is purported to be signing the damn things. People need meaning after a death - an auto-signature is just plain rude - unless mebbe you are losing a lot more folk than Iraq is costing the US - like in WW II, where signing letters might have kept the war from being managed!

But - if he really signs them - I think that is fine. I hope he reads them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 02:51 pm
ms. buns I don't think patriotism has anything to do with it...I love my country and would fight to defend it....but not just to enrich it.....that's not patriotism...that's blind sheepish obedience...IMO
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:10 pm
Lol - yes, but we aren't arguing the war lovey - just how poor folk get told.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:41 am
BPB
BPB, I don't think the real issue is Rummy using authomated signatures on the letters he sends to families of troops killed. The really disgusting issue is that it is clear he is sending form letters to each of the families.

Perhaps if he had to read research about the slain troop member's background and that of his family, he could write a more personal letter. He also might begin to see these dead as real people instead of just statistics to be glossed over.

BBB
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:43 am
Re: BPB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
BPB, I don't think the real issue is Rummy using authomated signatures on the letters he sends to families of troops killed. The really disgusting issue is that it is clear he is sending form letters to each of the families.

Perhaps if he had to read research about the slain troop member's background and that of his family, he could write a more personal letter. He also might begin to see these dead as real people instead of just statistics to be glossed over.

BBB

It wouldn't matter...human beings mean nothing to rummy, bush or that whole crowd....proles, merely proles....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
Re: BPB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

It isn't the job of Rummy to send detailed letters to the families. The soldiers direct leaders should be doing that. Rumsfield is too busy to do that. Can you name a Sec. of Defense who has sent letters to families of a personal nature? I'll bet there hasn't been one who has, if so then he would be to busy writing letters to do the job he was selected for.

If he was writing letters of a personal nature to the families you would complain he wasn't doing his job, so which is it?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
you assume too much....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:57 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you assume too much....

Then please correct me, I'm not abject to being corrected.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:58 am
Baldimo
Baldimo, you must have been listening to CNN Wolf Blitzer's interview with Ann Coulter a few minutes ago. You've quoted her sarcastic response about Rumsfeld. No original thinking from you.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:02 pm
Re: Baldimo
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Baldimo, you must have been listening to CNN Wolf Blitzer's interview with Ann Coulter a few minutes ago. You've quoted her sarcastic response about Rumsfeld. No original thinking from you.

BBB

Why would you be listening to an interview with Anne Coulter?
0 Replies