Photo

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 09:21 pm
Is the sentence okay?

I soon dug out the photo I'd taken with Mr.Chen two years before.

"I'd taken with Mr.Chen" referred to that "Mr.Chen and I were in the photo", which might be taken by an automatic camera or by someone else.

But I don't know whether I've used "I'd taken with Mr.Chen" properly to express what I wanted to express.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 09:53 pm
I think so.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:13 pm
The way the sentence is written, it implies the narator and Mr. Chen jointly had taken the photo. If you mean to convey the idea the photo was a picture of the narator and Mr Chen, it might better be phrased : "I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chen and myself two years before". If you wish to convey that the photo had been taken at the narator's direction, the phrasing could be "I soon dug out the photo of Mr Chen and myself I'd had taken two years before"

Something you might find helpful is the arcane, and all-but-lost-and-no-longer-taught art of Diagramming Sentences
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 12:56 am
Tlhanks Timberlandko and Ticomaya.

Timberlandko, I think ""I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chen and myself two years before" is excellent. But I don't get the grammar of "I'd had taken...". Wow, "I had had taken?" Why should there be two "had"s?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 01:04 am
I thought the same thing when I first read Timber's post. But then I re-read it, and it sounded right.

The reason there are two "had"s is because you are wanting to say you "had the photo taken." Take out the second "had" (after the contraction) and see how it sounds: "I soon dug out the photo of Mr. Chen and myself I'd taken two years before." That DOES NOT convey that the photo was taken by someone else at the narrator's direction.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 01:51 am
Yes, I got it. Thanks!

Would you like to explain another question for me?

To elicit facts or statements from others, a reporter has to interview his interviewees. But I feel that the word "interview" should be used as a VIP to interview his visiters. It seems improper to say "the reporter interviews the President of the United States, rather, you have to say "the President interviews the reporter". Am I on the right track?

So I rewrite the sentence "Well, I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chen and myself two years before, when I visited him as a reporter, and put it in the very middle of the bookshelf" as " Well, I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chen and myself two years before, when I was interviewed by him as a reporter, and put it in the very middle of the bookshelf. "

Am I okay?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 02:54 am
oristarA wrote:
Yes, I got it. Thanks!

Would you like to explain another question for me?

To elicit facts or statements from others, a reporter has to interview his interviewees. But I feel that the word "interview" should be used as a VIP to interview his visiters. It seems improper to say "the reporter interviews the President of the United States, rather, you have to say "the President interviews the reporter". Am I on the right track?

So I rewrite the sentence "Well, I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chen and myself two years before, when I visited him as a reporter, and put it in the very middle of the bookshelf" as " Well, I soon dug out the photo taken of Mr Chen and myself two years before, when I was interviewed by him as a reporter, and put it in the very middle of the bookshelf. "

Am I okay?

No, that doesn't work. I see nothing improper by the way about a reporter interviewing a VIP.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:11 am
You're right, Einherjar.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:47 pm
I think I've figured out what you're trying to do, how about "when he granted me an interview"?
0 Replies