Stem Cell Breakthrough?

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:47 am
I didn't see this posted anywhere.

Looks like doctors are being cautious in their claims, but I consider this a major breakthrough.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6727466/

Doctors report damaged bone grew back after surgery

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:01 p.m. ET Dec. 17, 2004

Surgeons have used stem cells from fat to help repair skull damage in a 7-year-old girl in Germany, in what's apparently the first time such fat-derived cells have been exploited to grow bone in a human.

The girl had been injured two years before in a fall, which destroyed several areas of her skull totaling nearly 19 square inches, the German researchers reported.

Other surgeons had failed to correct the defects, and the girl wore a protective helmet. Her brain could sometimes be seen pulsating through the missing areas of her skull.

But several weeks after the stem-cell surgery, she was able to leave her helmet behind, the researchers report in the December issue of the Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery. The skull is now smooth to the touch, the missing parts replaced by thin but solid bone, said Dr. Hans-Peter Howaldt of the Justus-Liebig-University Medical School in Giessen, Germany. The child was not identified.

Howaldt, who performed the surgery last year, said the damage was too extensive to be repaired with bone grafts from her body. He said the hope was that if bits of the child's bone were mixed with stem cells, the cells would turn into bone-building cells that would create additional bone.

That appears to have happened, Howaldt said in a telephone interview Thursday.

"I cannot prove that our success comes from the stem cells alone," he said, "but the combination of the two things simply worked."

'A very big deal'
In August, other German doctors reported growing a jaw bone in a man's back muscle and transplanting it to his mouth to fill a gap left by cancer surgery. The researchers used bone marrow, which also contains stem cells, to help grow the bone. But it's not clear whether the stem cells were responsible for the bone growth.

So Roy C. Ogle of the University of Virginia, an expert in skull reconstructive surgery who has been studying bone regeneration from fat-derived cells, said he considered the new report to be the first indicating that any kind of stem cell had been used to grow bone in a human.

"It is a very big deal," said Ogle, who called the study a landmark.

He agreed that the study didn't prove that stem cells provided the new bone. But it also indicates that the implanted cells did no harm, which has been a concern with using stem cells in people, he said.

Ogle said many surgeons would have augmented the child's bone with a mineral paste or collagen instead of stem cells. Howaldt said he believes it's better to use the body's own tissue.

Howaldt and his colleagues treated the skull in the same operation that recovered bone from the girl's pelvis and about 1.5 ounces of fat tissue from her buttocks. The bone was milled into chips about one-tenth of an inch long and placed in the missing areas of the skull. Then surgeons added the stem cells to the bone chips. The cells had been extracted from the girl's fat in a laboratory while surgeons prepared the girl's skull.

Howaldt said the bone chips appeared to instruct the stem cells to make more bone. While the new bone should grow as the child grows, she's old enough that her skull won't grow much more anyway, he said.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 842 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:57 am
That is wonderful. I think that stem cells, including embryonic stem cells, ARE the wave of the future. I think that the positive uses of these cells for the repair of the body is of a magnitude that we are only beginning to understand.

Now if science is not hamstrung by religion, I think that there will be huge medical breakthroughs in the near future.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 09:04 am
That is interesting. I wonder if bone cells, by their nature, are a different proposition from soft tissue cells in such matters?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 09:36 am
Phoenix wrote
Quote:

Now if science is not hamstrung by religion, I think that there will be huge medical breakthroughs in the near future.

Unfortunately, therein lies the greatest obstacle to innovation and progress.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:08 pm
It reminds me of one of those old spaceship movies where the highly developed humans - though not highly developed enough to have saved Earth - could instantly mend themselves.

Another case of one of those 1950's science fiction fantasies forcasting the future. Not sure I'm ready for "Beam me up, Scottie," though.

I hope this takes off and is able to quickly be applied to organ development and other areas.

Not sure I understand the need for embrionic stem cells if ones own cells can be used as this girls were.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
That is interesting. I wonder if bone cells, by their nature, are a different proposition from soft tissue cells in such matters?

I wonder if it was both the tissue (bone) and the age of the patient (7). This would be more interesting if it were an adult patient.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:12 pm
au1929 wrote:
Phoenix wrote
Quote:

Unfortunately, therein lies the greatest obstacle to innovation and progress.

More so in the US than elsewhere, I believe.

Australia, and other countries, are proceeding - though in Oz the current "lines" must be used, I think.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 02:29 pm
But, we wouldn't have to worry about which "lines" if they come from the patient, right? Doctors who are working in this area could start offering it as a possible "wanna give it a try", right? Probably not covered by insurance, but docs would do it free if they thought they would be making medical history.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 02:31 pm
Believe me, if I needed a new kidney and the doctor said "I don't know if it will work, but there's a chance I could take a sliver of your good kidney and some fat from your butt and make a new one" I'd be telling him to make as many as he likes!
0 Replies