Woman killed for her unborn baby

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:26 am
Stolen Fetus Recovered After Mom Slain
Woman Charged; Father Reunited With Baby, Which Is in Good Health
By MARGARET STAFFORD, AP

MARYVILLE, Mo. (Dec. 18) - A baby girl that had been cut out of her mother's womb was found after a frantic search, and authorities arrested the woman they say strangled the mother and stole the child

The child was found Friday in seemingly good health in an eastern Kansas home. A red Toyota similar to a description offered earlier by police was in the driveway.

Lisa M. Montgomery, 36, of Melvern, Kan., was arrested later Friday and charged with kidnapping resulting in death.

Authorities say Bobbie Jo Stinnett, 23, was found Thursday in a pool of blood inside her small white home in Skidmore, a town in northwest Missouri.

Earlier, Stinnett, who was eight months pregnant, had been talking with her mother on the phone, and hung up saying a woman she had chatted with online had just arrived at her door, authorities said.

U.S. Attorney Todd Graves said Montgomery contacted Stinnett through an online message board, and authorities zeroed in on her using computer forensics. Montgomery was seeking to buy a dog from Stinnett, who raised rat terriers, he said.

Stinnett, married for little more than a year and expecting her first child, worked at an engine factory in nearby Maryville. Her husband was at work when she was killed, authorities said.

Montgomery is the mother of two high school-age children, but Graves said she had been pregnant with another child that was never born.

It's unclear when she lost the baby or under what circumstances, but the complaint said she had lied to her husband about giving birth. Graves declined to give a motive for the crime.

According to the criminal complaint, Montgomery traveled about 40 miles to Topeka, Kan., on Thursday to go shopping. Her husband received a call from her saying she had gone into labor and given birth.

Kevin Montgomery and the couple's two children met Lisa and the newborn at a parking lot in Topeka and drove home, according to the affidavit.

The next day, authorities say, Montgomery confessed that she strangled Stinnett from behind, laterally cut her open, removed the baby and cut her umbilical cord. She also admitted that she lied to her husband about the ordeal.

DNA tests positively confirming the child was the Stinnetts' were pending Friday.

''We're confident we have the little girl that was taken from Skidmore,'' Nodaway County Sheriff Ben Espey said.

The grisly slaying shocked neighbors in the towns where the two women lived.

''They're very normal country people,'' said Sandra Bullock, 45, who lives about a mile down the road from the Montgomerys. ''It's too hard to believe.''

Stinnetts' neighbor Bill Dragoo was equally surprised.

''It blows my mind that this happened,'' he said. ''She was such a shy person. They didn't deserve this.''

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Sheldon Lyon said the investigation was ongoing. He would not say if additional charges might be filed or if there were other suspects.

Several pregnant women have been killed in recent years by attackers who then removed their fetuses, in some cases to pass the children off as their own.

In one of the most recent cases, a 21-year-old woman was shot to death in Oklahoma in December 2003, allegedly by another woman who pretended the 6-month-old fetus was her child. The fetus died and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 15
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 09:21 pm
and the bitchhas the nerve to brag afterwords......

MARYVILLE, Mo. (Dec. 18) - A woman charged with killing an expectant mother and cutting the baby from her womb was showing the child off to people at a cafe and to her pastor hours before she was arrested, residents said Saturday.

Hours before her arrest, Montgomery and her husband showed off a newborn girl at a restaurant, said Kathy Sage, owner of the Whistle Stop Cafe.

Many customers were surprised to hear the infant was only a day old, Sage said. She knew an Amber Alert had been issued for a baby missing from Missouri but did not realize the Montgomerys' infant was connected until hearing from a reporter on Friday.

While the couple ate breakfast, another customer showed the baby off around the cafe. After eating, they took the girl to visit their pastor.

"It was a beautiful baby,'' Mike Wheatley said. "Absolutely beautiful.''

The pastor had not seen the couple since October, and everyone in the congregation was expecting her to give birth around Dec. 12.

"You read about this stuff,'' she said. "It blows you away when it's here. This stuff is supposed to be in New York City or Los Angeles.''

Sometimes, I really dont understand people. I know there are serious mental disorders that take away peoples ability to be humans. But this woman has no trace , no history and was not diagnosed with any sort of disorder.
People who can literally steal a baby from thier mothers, at the sake of the mothers life, really boggle my mind. It is sick. It is sad . And unfortunatly, it is a popular thing to do.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:20 pm
It's not a popular thing to do. How can you state that it is?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:48 pm
Shewolf, I understand what you were saying. I hope they hang that bitch with a new rope.

I saw the report on the news tonight and the picture they showed of the woman that was arrested for it was actually SMILING in her police station photo.

My question is......How did the husband not realize that his wife had lost thier baby? And secondly, when she placed the call about giving birth, did he not expect to find her in a hospital...instead of a parking lot waiting on him? How smart was this man?

SICK.......SICK SICK!
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 12:39 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
I saw the report on the news tonight and the picture they showed of the woman that was arrested for it was actually SMILING in her police station photo.

Was it this photo? http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=343429 According to the caption, it's an undated photo which shows her holding a dog. i don't think it was taken at the police station, but I could be wrong...
Quote:

My question is......How did the husband not realize that his wife had lost thier baby? And secondly, when she placed the call about giving birth, did he not expect to find her in a hospital...instead of a parking lot waiting on him? How smart was this man?

SICK.......SICK SICK!

Some people are out of touch with their spouse... And she claimed to have given birth in a birthing clinic, but why he didn't expect the call to come from the facility, well I dunno... Shocked People just don't expect their spouse to behave so wonky, kwim?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:31 am
The above case was an anomaly, but killing pregnant women apparenty is not. The Washington Post did a study, complete with demographics, which showed that young, pregnant women have been killed, usually by boyfriends, spouses or lovers, at a rate that surprised the researchers.

Apparently, there are men who do not want the responsibility of paying for and/or caring for a child. The way some of them deal with the situation, is to kill the mother-to be.

Quote:
A year-long examination by The Washington Post of death-record data in states across the country documents the killings of 1,367 pregnant women and new mothers since 1990. This is only part of the national toll, because no reliable system is in place to track such cases.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10074-2004Dec18.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:56 am
That is more my point phoenix. Sorry purple.. I didnt meant it to sound like i was saying it is popular in a GOOD sence.
What I mean is that the murder of pregnant women, either by spouses ( as phoenix said) or other people searching for a baby is becoming more and more common. Sad thing, it isnt in the new as much. It , for some reason, is swept under the rug alot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:08 am
Geez... you can meet some really creepy people on the Internet....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:17 am
Pretty sad huh.
It makes you think that you cant really do anything in your life.
All this woman was doing was selling dogs, and someone decided to take her baby instead. :-(
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 02:33 pm
This "human being" if that is what she actually is should be incarcerated for the remainder of her life, I suspect that she will be declared unfit to plead due to mental illness.

It must be frustrating beyond understanding to ordinary people who are the victims of such horrendous crimes.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 09:07 pm
I was telling my husband about a case I'd heard of in Chicago a few years ago. He couldn't believe that this had happened before.
Does it get much worse than this?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:10 pm
It's really a shame these sorts of people don't reap what they have sowed.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:14 pm
I feel certain that they will. The shame is, we're not always privileged enough to hear about it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 01:36 am
This story just shocks me beyond belief. It's amazing how easily some people can take an innocent life. This is so sad for the family of the woman that was murdered and even for the family of the woman who killed her.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:02 pm
I cant understand the desperation that the perp would have felt to JUSTIFY in her mind the murder of that woman.
I dont think there is a thing in the world that would ever make me feel like murder was ok. So what happened for her? How / why did she think it ok to kill someone? AND take her baby? GRRR!!!! it angers me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:06 pm
She's obviously out of her mind and your heart breaks for everyone involved. It's just such a shame that a woman as mad as this was allowed on the streets, free to roam.
0 Replies