The Evil Continental Airlines ExpressJet Fleet

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:02 am
I flew to Chicago from Detroit yesterday on Southwest Airlines for a business lunch with my boss. I don't like to fly but the trip was good and I was feeling quite ok about it. I have never gotten airsick. I always get a bit sweaty and white knuckled but never ever have I gotten sick, and I'd never even consider the possibility of it. I don't have a weak stomach.

Our flight back to Detroit departed at 5:15p and because of hideous Chicago traffic and Midway Airports slow as molasses in January security, we missed our flight. We ended up having to take a later flight. 2 options were presented to us: Take Continental from Chicago to Cleveland, connect in Cleveland and then to Detroit. We'd have 20 minutes from touch down to get to the connecting flight and if we missed it, we'd have to drive the rest of the way as that was the last flight to Detroit that night. OR we could wait until 9:50p and take a direct flight from Chicago to Detroit. Considering the hour time difference, we didn't want to hang around the airport for 4 hours and then get home at midnight. (it's a 1 hour flight + one hour for time change) We decided to hope for the best and take the Chicago to Cleveland to Detroit. Well, I thought, all will be well until I saw the little tiny ExpressJet ERJ-135 we were going to fly in. Hm. I didn't feel very secure. Well, the plane took off and it went ok...until descent. The last 10 minutes of the flight were a terror. The plane was hitting turbulence, fishtailing in the sky, banking left and right and it felt like we were rolling around in the air. I wanted to die. I exited the plane feeling less than settled and we ran for the next terminal to catch out connecting flight. While handing my boarding pass to the guy at the gate, I felt my stomach heave and my lunch building up in my throat. I needed a bathroom. So, I handing my stuff to my boss and began walking to the bathroom in the lovely Cleveland airport. Half way there I had to break into a sprint and almost didn't make it. Try standing, holding long hair back, puking and aiming at the same time. Yikes. Well, forturnately I had a bottle of water with me and so I rinsed my mouth out and went back to the gate. My boss offered to drive but I thought, naw, I can make it. Not considering that yes...the next flight might be another of the dreaded ExpressJet ERJ-135 planes. And it sure was. The flight from Cleveland to Detroit was only 28 minutes in the air but apparently it isn't the airtime that gets me. I was fine for 18 minutes of that flight but the last 10 minutes or so, upon descent, I started feeling a little bit nauseated. Frantically trying to hold back the bile and think happy thoughts, I didn't consider that if I should barf 1)- I couldn't get up from my seat and 2)- I hadn't located a barf bag. Then I remembered my boss had mentioned at the beginning of the flight that he had one in his seat pocket. So, yup, you guessed it, round two. That was fun. I've never puked on a plane. I had my face in this barf bag and was being as discreet as possible and the guy next to me is actually unaware that I am throwing up. He's chatting away and offering me pretzels, which makes me want to barf more. Let me mention that it is incredibly difficult to puke while sitting up. Things do not want to exit as easily as they should. But the man is still talking and I am still hoarfing. Finally, I lift my face from the bag after he says, "Want some pretzels?" and say in a gravely voice, "God no..." Then he caught on and stopped talking to me. We finally touched down and I practically jumped out of the plane.

I HATE little planes. I will never again fly Continental for fear that I will get a small plane again. If I ever come across a small plane, I will promptly return my ticket and refuse to fly. What a miserable business trip. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,006 • Replies: 23
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:10 am
Oh no!

Poor you.

Hubby travels a lot and delivered a similar rant about a little scary plane a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it was the exact same one.

Sounds awful.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:15 am
we took a puddle-jumper (Delta i think) from RI to NY a few years ago, and had a similarly horrible ride -- minus the ralphing.

see, i get air & sea sick, so dramamine is my best friend on travel days.
but the turbulence that day was so bad that the dram. wasn't working.

i remember how non-chalant the flight attendant was, almost like she was enjoying sitting there and watching paople suffer.

so that day we vowed no more little planes for short trips. ever!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:37 am
I think I've booked my mom for one of those for her Xmas visit. Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:07 am
I seem to be in a minority here, but I much prefer the little planes to the enormous ones. I suppose I'm irrational enough to believe that a small plane isn't nearly as heavy as a large one and not nearly as likely to crash.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:13 am
Me and another person were sick on one flight. I can't take dramamine because it knocks me out. Cold. I will just never take one of those horrid planes again.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:31 am
one time i forgot to take dramamine -- for a NY-SF flight Shocked

i was stuck in the middle seat of the middle row on a packed flight for 5 hours.
i think i was the only passenger that refused dinner.

when i get airsick, i experience nausea, dizziness and i get overheated.
(thank gawd for those adjustable air vents!)

the dram makes it tolerable, but not great...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:35 am
Region Philbis wrote:

when i get airsick, i experience nausea, dizziness and i get overheated.
(thank gawd for those adjustable air vents!)

yup....holy cats....I've never gotten airsick...but this is just how I felt. First time for everything.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:10 pm
instead of a pillow, i wish they'd hand out a big rock (to crawl under...)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:18 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I seem to be in a minority here, but I much prefer the little planes to the enormous ones.

I'm with you, Noddy. I'd much rather be in a little plane than a big one. My bad flying experiences have been on large planes.

I always figger I can keep the little ones in the air if I flap hard enough. Big plane, I haven't got a chance.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
My favourite little plane flight was from Victoria BC to Seattle at about 9 o'clock at night. There was a full moon and the Straits Of Juan below had little silver white caps everywhere...I never wanted that flight to end.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
I wanted my flight to end before it started.

**BARF**
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 03:37 pm
eBeth--

Thanks for the public agreement.

Why if the two of us were on the same flight, the pilot could probably forget all about engine trouble and rely on Positive Thinking.

The direct connection between the closest airport here and Logan in Boston is a little puddle jumper. I've tried to explain to booking agents that I feel much safer in the small plane--booking agents are not people of trust and imagination.
0 Replies

captain truth

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:31 am
Well first of all I am sorry you had a "bad" experience on an Embraer Jet. I'm a captain on one of those type of planes. Let me first tell all of you that there are several things that are totally misunderstood by air travelers. First of all we fly these jets so the public like you do not have to pay thousands of dollars for flights. Sorry we do not run Boeing 777s between small cities..that would be a waste of money. You will have to get use to the RJs. They will be doing most of the domestic flying in the U.S. Next thing is the RJ product has a very good accident / safety record. You can look through NTSB reports and I am very confident to tell you all that you have nothing to be worried about. Just because a plane is smaller, does not mean it is unsafe. If your ride was a bad, the rides on a 747 were bad too. I just get sick and tired of hearing whiney passengers stating..."this thing is so small" If you wanted to pay a lot more money, I am sure they airlines would be happy to put a 737 or something bigger on the route. But since the 37 or 50 seat aircraft aren't even filled to capacity most of the time (as is the larger aircraft) do not expect anything larger to be put on those routes. Again sorry you had a bad ride, but we cannot control the weather. I try to make the ride as smooth as possible for my passengers as so does my fellow pilots. Good luck. Driving is much more unsafe than flying ever will be!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:37 am
captain truth--

Thanks for your informed comments and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:12 am
captain truth wrote:
Well first of all I am sorry you had a "bad" experience on an Embraer Jet. I'm a captain on one of those type of planes. Let me first tell all of you that there are several things that are totally misunderstood by air travelers. First of all we fly these jets so the public like you do not have to pay thousands of dollars for flights. Sorry we do not run Boeing 777s between small cities..that would be a waste of money. You will have to get use to the RJs. They will be doing most of the domestic flying in the U.S. Next thing is the RJ product has a very good accident / safety record. You can look through NTSB reports and I am very confident to tell you all that you have nothing to be worried about. Just because a plane is smaller, does not mean it is unsafe. If your ride was a bad, the rides on a 747 were bad too. I just get sick and tired of hearing whiney passengers stating..."this thing is so small" If you wanted to pay a lot more money, I am sure they airlines would be happy to put a 737 or something bigger on the route. But since the 37 or 50 seat aircraft aren't even filled to capacity most of the time (as is the larger aircraft) do not expect anything larger to be put on those routes. Again sorry you had a bad ride, but we cannot control the weather. I try to make the ride as smooth as possible for my passengers as so does my fellow pilots. Good luck. Driving is much more unsafe than flying ever will be!

That's all fine and dandy but you don't get airsick. There is nothing to "get used to". If you get airsick, you can't just talk yourself out of it.

You might want to get used to people throwing up on your airplane. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:13 am
And to avoid an experience like the one I had, I would be willing to pay more money.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:56 pm
Kristie--

Sometimes paying your money doesn't guarantee infinite choice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:00 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Kristie--

Sometimes paying your money doesn't guarantee infinite choice.

No but one point Captain Truth made was that "First of all we fly these jets so the public like you do not have to pay thousands of dollars for flights. " I just said I would be willing to pay the extra dough to have the option to fly in a plane that didn't make me sick.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:18 pm
Kirstie--

Thanks to the small planes, I can get a direct flight from ABE to Logan. During the holiday season you 747 might be solidly booked. During the rest of the year there are only 25-30 daily passengers--not enough to rate a jumbo no matter how much you are paying for your ticket.

Rather than paying out of your pocket for a 747 on sidebar routes, you might consider chartering a plane.

Being in a minority can be uncomfortable. I sympathize.
0 Replies