Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:39 am
I was recently given 3 small venison roasts....any suggestions on how to prepare them so they're tender and not gamey tasting?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,703 • Replies: 24
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
What part of the animal did the roasts come from, and was it farm-raised or wild?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:32 am
Please send them to me.

Thank you! Mr. Green
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:09 pm
cav, I never thought to ask what part of the anomal the roasts were from!! I'll find out. I know that the deer were NOT farm-raised.

Calamity, I'd be happy to if they weren't already promised as dinner for someone! I've got to find a good recipe first! I was told by friends, that I need to attempt cooking various types of game....I can see it now, opening my door to find lifeless bodies of squirrels, muskrats, etc. waiting at my front door to become part of the evening's meal!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:38 pm
chun chun, I hope you're still paying attention to this thread! I've had venison and loved it. Never cooked it myself, but here's a recipe I ran across that sounds really good:

------------

Gentleman Jim's Deer and Beer Stew

Preparation and Cooking Time: 18 to 24 hours
Servings: 12 to 16

Ingredients:
2 to 3 pounds Deer or Elk roast or stew meat
2 tbs Curry Powder
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Ground Cloves
1 tsp Ground Allspice
2 buds Garlic; minced
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup raisins
2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 pound small red potatoes
4 to 6 small parsnips
1 pound carrots
1 or 2 medium onions
1/2 pound green beans
1 Red Bell Pepper (optional)
Beer
Flour
Cornstarch or Arrowroot Powder

Directions:
Cut up meat and vegetables into small bite-size pieces. Put all the meat into the bottom of an 8qt. slow cooker. Add all the spices. Add all the remaining ingredients except for flour and cornstarch/arrowroot. Add enough beer (4 to 6 bottles) to just cover the ingredients. Cook at 275-300 degrees for at least 18 hours.

After a few hours, stir all the ingredients to mix thoroughly.

About 2 to 3 hours before serving, ladle out some of the liquid and mix with a small amount of cornstarch/arrowroot ( arrowroot is about 10 times as effective for thickening as is cornstarch) and about 1/2 to 1 cup of flour. Mix this thoroughly, adding more liquid if needed. When mixed, pour this back into the crock pot and mix thoroughly.

Serve with warm corn bread. Allow each person to add salt and pepper to taste.

----------

Frankly, I might simplify it a bit. That's a lot of ingredients! But I think the basics are sound, and it would make a really good stew.

Let me know if you decide to try it!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:31 pm
Sounds good to me, and I'm hoping chun chun keeps an ear out here, she was a loved poster on abuzz, and a key participant in one of my alltimefavorite threads, about ducks....

Have saved that thread, but want her to see it first, in retrospect.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:45 pm
dont mention the d-u-c-k word tto ratzenhofer. Hes not totally commited tto this planetts customs.

Deer meat needs all the flavors you can dump on it and liwuid to keep it moist . Otherwise it tastes like a piece of that Oasis **** thatt florists use to keep flowers from drying out. Its mealy and has a taste like whatever its been eating. If you eat a deer thatt comes out of an oak forest, itll have a tannin flavor like raw acorns.
Deer meat gags me. kinda like liver. One good way is to grind itt up and feed it to farm raised salmon. They wind up tasting pretty good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 11:06 pm
Now there are reports from the creek... that I'll listen to.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:14 am
chun chun

Venison? I know nothing! Laughing
But enjoy it anyway!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:20 am
funny, one of the things I like is deer liver... My hunting friends in NE Ohio used to give it to me once in a while.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 11:01 am
farmerman, venison doesn't have to be dry if you prepare
it right.

Put it for a couple of hours in a marinade of redwine and
bay leaves, mustard seeds and before you grill/fry/bake the venison spike it with bacon - if needed cover it completely
with bacon strips. That should be sufficient for the venison
to taste delicious without getting dry.

You'll serve either pasta, dumplings or potatoes with it
along with cooked pear halves that are filled with red currant
marmelade.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 11:40 am
I doubt they gave you the backstraps. Those are the loins, and you can either roast them simply in the oven or slice them and saute in some butter and garlic. That's all they need.

Other cuts require some longer cooking times, slow, with liquid, to tenderize the meat. Crockpots work well for venison.

Did you know that venison has only about 2/3 as many calories as beef? It's actually very good for you, high protein, low fat.
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:05 pm
Hi folks! Sorry for the lapse in communication.....preparations for the holiday left me NO TIME to be on-line! We had around 75 people at our house for our annual Christmas Eve Open House! By the way, where were all of you??? Well, I certainly hope you all had a happy holiday! (honestly, I'm glad it's over....it's really great fun until the clean-up begins!)

Wy, I printed out the Gentleman Jim's Deer and Beer Stew....looked interesting, although I'll probably tweak it alittle to eliminate the curry and cumin (I'm not a big fan of either of them). I'll let you know what I end up doing.

ossobuco, I CAN'T BELIEVE that you actually saved that duck thread!!!! That was sooo much fun! Did we ever come up with an ending? It went on for so long, I think some people were hoping the duck met it's demise by ending up on a restaurant plate somewhere in Manhattan!! Has anyone heard or reincarnation??? LOL

farmerman, I agree with Calamity Jane, it doesn't HAVE to taste like "oasis"! It sounds like you may have eaten some overcooked "Bambi"!

Calamity Jane, that marinade sounds really good. I think I'll try it, but will toss in some juniper berries and a bit of chipolte powder.

cjhsa, no, there were no backstraps, but since I began this thread, I have acquired 3 more small roasts, and about 2 pounds of stew meat! Guess I'll have to try out some of these recipes! Yes, venison is VERY GOOD for you!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:43 pm
Venison ossobuco is also veddy good. Much smaller than veal, and it can stand up to a good red wine based broth with garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme, and don't forget juniper berries.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
One of the best ways to cook a deer roast is simply putting it in a slow cooker.....season to taste and let her bump.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:37 pm
We had venison for Christmas and my guests were
at first a bit apprehensive, but dug in, once they tasted
the venison.

I just had marinated it in redwine with mustard seeds
and bay leaves.

Unfortunately, I live in a part of the country where
fresh venison is not that easy to get, and I have to order
it ahead of time, but it certainly will be on my menue
again.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
We eat Venison like the rich eat cavier..

There was 5 deer killed in November, and we are out of meat! We cut alot of ours into steaks. And usually the tenderloins are the first to go. But we love to salt/pepper and dip them in flour and fry up.

The only thing on the deer that we don't eat is the heart, liver and ribs.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:12 pm
Lucky you MMS.

As I said, we live in a state where the only thing
killed at the roadside is either a skunk or a coyote.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:14 pm
Yeah...we love it. I'd be lost without getting to deer hunt....and enjoy the prize.

Tell me, you mentioned ordering it? Is that how you get it...and what kind of venison?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:19 pm
Yeah, here in southern California we need to special
order venison and this is from a European butcher.
He said he's getting his beef and venison from Iowa
delivered.

For Christmas we had venison chops, mainly because
I couldn't spike the venison with bacon (as I usually do
with a roast), since I had jewish friends over for dinner.
The chops were perfect, and not dry at all.
0 Replies