Is this news style?

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 01:20 am
Hi, do we have to use a specific jargon when speaking about news or politics.Like choosing my words.This is annoying sometimes, isn't it ?

which one is right here,

1)

- The blast at the gate to a major Shia shrine.

- The blast at the gate of a major Shia shrine.

2)

how often do you use walk off.Here ,

- They walked off the bus with their hands above their heads.

I mean when I got out of a car or a taxi.I should say , get out or get into ( I guess ).Or I can say climb if you are inside a car.I found this in a movie script.

Thanks everybody.

Hi stuh :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 517 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:58 am
In both cases, either of the two expressions is acceptable. In the first case, the two prepositions -- of and to -- are interchangeable without changing the meaning of the sentence. In the second example, 'walk off the bus' is actually a somewhat unusual way of saying it although not incorrect. 'Got off the bus' or 'came out of the bus' would be more common constructions.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:08 am
Hi Merry Andrew.I wonder why they use such unusual expression.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:23 am
For 'off the bus', my guess would be that it is used because we often say 'get on the bus' when speaking of embarking. By our logic then, disembarking is called getting 'off the bus'. I hear this alot with respect to school children getting off the bus.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:45 am
If someone said "walked off the bus" in a movie rather than "get off the bus" or something more common, it was probably just a dialectical difference or a personality quirk of the character who was speaking. That's really what a lot of those really minor differences in English come down to.
0 Replies