Should I call him or not?

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 09:27 am
I had a summer job for 1,5 months this summer. I had to do polls with random people. The poll was quite long(30 minutes). The computer called people automatically. I talked to a man. We got on well really easily. I have never felt like this before. We talked and laughed quite a lot despite it was a political questionnaire. I felt a spark between us. At the end of the poll he asked me out. The problem is that I am 17 and he's 30. When I told him, I could tell that he was really sad. Neither of us wanted to hang up. After a long pause I said good bye and hung up. My problem is that I have been thinking about this boy like 7/24. I can't get him out of my head. Please tell me what should I do. Should I wait until I become 18 and call him or I shouldn't call him at all?

maxdancona

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:09 am
@Rachel00,
I vote for not call him at all. It is creepy for a 30 year old guy who has a crappy job to be hitting on 17 year old girls. He is scamming you.

There is nothing wrong with having a fantasy... talking with someone for 30 minutes on the phone doesn't mean you know them. Your mind is making up a fantasy of the magical man who will randomly call you up and wisk you away on some fairytale adventure.

But know the difference between fantasy and reality. Don't call him.

0 Replies

Rachel00

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:13 am
@Rachel00,
He is a doctor. He didn't call me, I called him. I know that he is older, but I just really felt connected to him.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:26 am
How do you know his number? You said it was a random number. Did you read it off the screen and write it down? There may be some rule about not keeping the data and/or using it for personal purposes. He says he is a doctor, and even if he is that does not make him a saint.
0 Replies

Rachel00

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:30 am
@Rachel00,
No, I didn't see/write down his number. He told me his name and I found his number.
0 Replies

Rachel00

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:34 am
@Rachel00,
He has a unique name.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 02:31 pm
Are you in the US?
Rachel00

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 02:45 pm
@PUNKEY,
No.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:08 pm
@Rachel00,
If you are in a country where 17 year olds date 30 years olds , then call him.

In the US, this would be discouraged. But I know in come countries, this scenario is not unusual. Be sure to meet him in a public place.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:17 pm
@Rachel00,
Rachel00 wrote:
At the end of the poll he asked me out.

you do realize that some people make a game of toying with telemarketers. I have a friend/former colleague who loves to mess with telemarketers/poll takers minds.

it might have been authentic. it might have been a game.

go out and meet people in the real world. scarier, but also saner.
0 Replies

Rachel00

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:19 pm
@PUNKEY,
Don't get me wrong. I am not into older men, I have never even had a boyfriend before. But it was really good talking to him and I had a feeling like never before. Should I wait and call him maybe in 1 or 2 years? But I just can't get him out of my head.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:35 pm
@Rachel00,
Rachel00 wrote:
Should I wait and call him maybe in 1 or 2 years?

why aren't you meeting men in real life?
Rachel00

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 11:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Because I have never met someone I like before. And he is something special.
jespah

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 06:51 am
@Rachel00,
Maybe you're not trying hard enough to meet men who are available.
0 Replies

Rachel00

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:24 pm
So you say I shouldn't call him? But I feel like I have to, I mean I think if I don't do that I will miss out something, a big chance to be happy.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 11:47 am
@Rachel00,
Quote:
Because I have never met someone I like before. And he is something special.
You haven't met him either. So you really cannot say that he is special.

As others have said, you have created a fantasy from a simple phone call where both you and the guy were laughing and talking while you conducted a survey. If you call him in a year or two he will have no idea who you are. In fact, if you call him next month I doubt he will have any idea who you are.
centrox

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 11:52 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:
In fact, if you call him next month I doubt he will have any idea who you are.

If she says "Hi! I'm that seventeen year old girl who phoned you, and I'd like to meet you!", he might just say "Oh! Yes! I remember you now! Come on over!"
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:19 pm
@centrox,
Or maybe his wife will be in the room and he feigns ignorance when she calls.

This could really go so many different ways.
Rachel00

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:33 pm
@CoastalRat,
He doesn't have a wife, I know that for sure. If he had a wife, I wouldn't even think about it.
0 Replies