pick up a choice

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:45 am
In education there should be a good _____ among the branches of knowledge that contribute to effective thinking and wise judgment.
a distribution b balance c combination d assignment

The American dream is most ______ during the periods of productivity and wealth generated by American capitalism.
a plausible b patriotic c primitive d partial

I have _____ three terrible english examinations this week.
a castigated b accosted c undergone d suffered

Just check the standard answers: b a c, but why?

Anyone here can help me?Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 737 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
I'm not sure what you're asking, but the prose in the questions you cite is very stilted and ungraceful.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:47 pm
The answer b, a, c are quite correct. I had jotted them down because I thought you were looking for answers. Now I see you are looking for the reasoning behind those answers.

Well, the simple answer is because those are the only choices that make any sense. On the first one, one might hedge a bit and say that 'distribution' and 'combination' fit almost as well as 'balance.' But if you look at the apparently intended meaning of the sentence, the writer is speaking of an educational ideal which balances several disciplines.

On the other two, I wouldn't know where to begin. The other choices given simply make no sense in the context of the sentenes. (On the third one you might say that 'suffered' would fit. But that would be mock-humorous. One might feel that an exam causes suffering, but it's not a generally accepted way of describing it in idiomatic speech.)
0 Replies