Cannabis and saliva testing

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:33 pm
Random drug testing for drivers is to be brought in where I live soon - and any trace of THC or speed in a driver will bring punishment.

The will be doing some sort of saliva screening thing first (takes about five minutes, apparently) - with more rigorous testing if you show positive.

Does anyone know how long after smoking THC can be detected in saliva?

I have this feeling it is for a looooooooong time......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,695 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:42 pm
Some poor bozo in Vic now has the dubious distinction of being the first person IN THE WORLD to be busted by this test!!

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/13/14n_detector_wideweb__430x279.jpg

Quote:
The world's first roadside drug screening unit took just 15 minutes to claim a scalp yesterday after police set up their new drug-testing bus at Yarraville.

The fourth driver stopped and tested by the 12-strong unit returned a positive saliva test for methamphetamines. His second sample also tested positive.

Presumably unaware that he was making history, the driver was left to phone a friend for a ride home.

source
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:45 pm
Now, just say.... hypothetically.... f'rinstance..... a friend of mine wants to know.... if you had like saturated yourself with cannibinoids in the 80s (there were 80s weren't there? Everyone tells me..... errr him, they did happen) - would this still cause the dial to..... say, red-line?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:56 pm
Not a chance bunny.

The test only detects what's in your saliva, not what's in your blood. It can detect canabis for a couple of hours after smoking.

Even a blood test wouldn't find anything from the 80's. There might be some trace quantities left in your fat cells but nowhere near enough to test for.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:46 pm
If they don't also do an alcohol test at the same time, they are being blatantly hypocritical.

I've heard that cannabis stays in fat for a long time, thus making drug tests for pot more risky, but that only applies to blood tests, as far as I know.

Damn.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
Re: Cannabis and saliva testing
dlowan wrote:
Random drug testing for drivers is to be brought in where I live soon - and any trace of THC or speed in a driver will bring punishment.

The will be doing some sort of saliva screening thing first (takes about five minutes, apparently) - with more rigorous testing if you show positive.

What country do you live in? If it's America it's in violation of just cause.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:39 am
Diane wrote:
If they don't also do an alcohol test at the same time, they are being blatantly hypocritical.

I've heard that cannabis stays in fat for a long time, thus making drug tests for pot more risky, but that only applies to blood tests, as far as I know.

Damn.

They are alcohol testing at the same time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:40 am
Re: Cannabis and saliva testing
Portal Star wrote:
dlowan wrote:

What country do you live in? If it's America it's in violation of just cause.

Australia.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:41 am
Adrian wrote:
Not a chance bunny.

The test only detects what's in your saliva, not what's in your blood. It can detect canabis for a couple of hours after smoking.

Even a blood test wouldn't find anything from the 80's. There might be some trace quantities left in your fat cells but nowhere near enough to test for.

Lol - were Stilly who asked about the "friend".

So - only for a couple of hours, eh? You telling me true?????
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:56 am
Watching with abstract interest - wouldn't ever apply to me. Wink
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Not a chance bunny.

Embarrassed My apologies to both you and the grinch.

Yeah it only picks up residue from the smoke left over in your saliva so it only has a small window.

Can you believe that the very first person they catch has lawyered up and plans on fighting it all the way? Imagine if everyone they catch does the same thing?

The court is adjourned. Trial date is set down for 23rd october 2007!?!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:56 pm
I believe that it only shows up in urine for about 2 weeks, contrary to the popular myth that is is three months. A drug counselor told me this, so I wouldn't worry about saliva.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:12 pm
3 months??? I've heard of taking 1 month...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:03 pm
Adrian wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Not a chance bunny.

Embarrassed My apologies to both you and the grinch.

Yeah it only picks up residue from the smoke left over in your saliva so it only has a small window.

Can you believe that the very first person they catch has lawyered up and plans on fighting it all the way? Imagine if everyone they catch does the same thing?

The court is adjourned. Trial date is set down for 23rd october 2007!?!

Yay!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:14 pm
Found this...

Quote:
The FDA has recently given Epitope, Inc approval to begin manufacturing saliva drug testing. In a study using RIA (Radioimmunoassay) test, cannabinoids were detected in saliva 4 to 10 hours after subjects smoked a single marijuana joint. Epitope has recently developed a test which detects drugs or their metabolites in saliva. However, this sort of drug testing is limited to detecting very recent drug use. In one study, saliva testing was only able to detect cannabinoids 4-10 hours after the subjects had been smoking. It is likely that this drug testing will be confined to detecting current intoxication only.

Saliva Drug Testing
0 Replies