Got any sure-fire laryngitis cures?

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:37 pm
I can't make a peep. I'm home from work resting my voice, drinking hot tea with honey and sucking on throat lozenges like they were candy. I need my voice back. Do you have any tried and true cures for laryngitis?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,764 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:46 pm
Early bedtime tonight--sleep is a great healer.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:06 pm
Well, goodnight then Wink
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:13 pm
Yes - the prayers of others.

When I am unable to talk (rarely) I smack people upside the head in morse code so I can communicate. Since that peeves people, they spend their day praying I get my voice back real soon.

Plus they quickly run and do what I want them to.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:46 pm
LOL! Heeven, that sounds enjoyable, too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 06:11 pm
A Woman with an Ailment needs something to look forward to. Why don't you suggest to your Near & Dear that when you wake up tomorrow, you'd like to find that all the windows had been washed, inside and out?

And that your car had been vacuumed? And waxed?

I'm sure you have your own little list....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:19 pm
Zinc lozenges and Buckley's.

Laryngitis is a seasonal staple in my life. Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:23 pm
I can follow you around and do reverse oral interpreting -- lipread, then voice for you.

No?

(Sympathy!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Freash sage leaf tea is good for throats.

And, Swimpy, you just HAVE to not utter a peep!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:55 pm
Betheh ~ What is Buckley's?

Soz ~ We'd be a formidable team!

Deb ~ I was doing pretty well being home alone all day, but then an hour or so ago, my very hard of hearing mother called. That was a telephone conversation I wish I had recorded!

Mom: Hello?

Me: [size=7]I can't talk[/size]
Mom: hello? Are you there?

Me:[size=7]I have laryngitis[/size]

Mom: What's wrong with you?

Me: [size=7]I'll call you when I get better[/size]

Mom: I can't hear you

Well you get the picture. I'll have #2 son call her when he gets home. Oy.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:05 pm
And with that, I will take Noddy's advice and go to bed. I'll be home again tomorrow, I'm sure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:23 pm
((((((( Swimpy )))))))))

sleep well
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
http://www.buckleys.com/images/b_adultliquids_off.gif

When it comes to being sick, there are two kinds of people in this world. Those who want comfort, and those who want to get better. We make medicine for the second kind.

What makes it taste so bad? Find out about the unique herbal ingredients found in Buckley's liquids.

http://www.buckleys.com/products/index.htm

Herbal Ingredients found in Buckley's line of adult liquids:

Camphor
Camphor is a mild expectorant and respiratory stimulant. It also has mild anesthetic and antiseptic properties. Camphor helps to relieve chest congestion associated with colds and influenza (flu).

Menthol
Menthol decreases nasal congestion through local anesthetic action and stimulation of cold receptors. When inhaled, Menthol can relieve coughs and the sense of oppression in the chest. This ingredient is used to relieve symptoms of bronchitis, sinusitis, and nasal congestion.

Canada Balsam
This is a liquid oleoresin from Abies Balsamea (Pinaceae). This plant is found in Canada and Northern U.S. from Virginia to Minnesota. Balsams have traditionally been used as an expectorant for coughs and sore throats.

Pine Needle Oil
Pine Needle Oil has historically been used as an expectorant for the treatment of coughs and chronic bronchitis.

Tincture of Capsicum
Capsicum has been traditionally used as a counter-irritant to soothe conditions of the throat.

Quote:
Buckley's is available at Rite-Aid and Eckerds pharmacies nationally and at Duane Reade stores in New York.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:28 pm
It truly has an impossible taste - what you imagine eating Vicks must be like.

I entered one of their contests to win a winter cold care kit - and won one. hamburger suggested that second prize would be winning two of the kits. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:38 pm
That Tincture of Capsicum might just work. Really hot chillies do, but I mean, so hot you will swear you are blistering your mouth, and tears run down your cheeks. I had this cure in spicey food, and can't guarantee results if it's taken in a capsule form.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:42 pm
I swear at, and by, the stuff, Roger.

I've worked out a sort of shooter routine to get the potion down.

One shot glass of Buckley's on the counter. Next to it one glass of o.j. that's been in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Buckley's.
slam
o.j.
slam

Their website has some funny stories about their advertising - they kind of have to mention that it tastes, errrrrrr, strong.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:43 pm
Swimpy, not only must you NOT speak at all, but try (hard) to not cough or clear your throat. The vocalizations you make when you do those things are worse than speaking. Oh, and whispering is harsh on your vocal cords too. Paper and pen is the way to go is you need to communicate! Or take Soz up on her offer.

You're in my thoughts - I wish you quick healing...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:22 am
Thanks, mac. I'm trying not to talk. Today I made a peep, well more like a croak. I'll keep the croaking to a minimum.

Beth, I don't think we can get Buckley's around these parts. I have some Tylenol Sore Throath & Cough medicine. It's like Nyquil. Knock-out drops. Slept like a rock last night. I'm sure I'll be better soon.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:37 am
Sleep is definitely a good thing.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:48 am
Luckily I don't get laryngitis very often, as least for me... the rest of the world ain't so lucky.. he he

mac's right on...I sing, doctors have told me not to utter a word could be very damaging. Did you ever hear Miles Davis speak? He had throat surgery, doc's told him to be quiet, he yelled and well, for the rest of his life he had to be quiet.

I was working in a bar several years ago, as the night progress I could make less and less sound, 'til not even a whisper would pass my lips. What I found funny was...everyone treated me like I was deaf. Just cause I couldn't speak. I finally had to make a sign and hang it around my neck.
People are dumb.
0 Replies