Equalization of funding is desirable for Texas public school

PDiddie

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:46 am
You're going to have to try to aim higher, edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:33 am
Says you.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:18 pm
nah! I respect the opinions of both of ya'll, and am really, really, really, thankful that you two contribute to this mainly high school post. With ya'll we can get a more learned perspective that is vital if we are to prepare a winning case.

I tip my hat to all you old geezers Laughing
0 Replies

ahhs debater06

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:11 pm
hi i'm new to this fourm and i need help on my neg case.... any ideas? I looked through the whole thing and i could not find anything, and i have to write a neg case by tomorrow to qualify for district.. anyideas please help.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:43 pm
sorry i am late, and welcome(good luck at district quals)

did you look through this post? there is some stuff in the middle about a philosophy of my stuff, I keep (in caveman terms, of course) check that out
0 Replies

drunkpunk

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
ya i coulda helped you. but i havent even thought of this topic cuz ive been focusing on state congress stuff, but ida helped you out. most of the good stuff is in the middle of everything.
0 Replies

ahhs debater06

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:57 pm
thanks ya'll!! ran a really bad case(neg) the value was tx const. (bad) and i qual. yeah for me.... not really i'm scared about going, and well lets just say my aff is good but my neg is BAD. i need a neg by monday, what do ya'll think about (for a neg cont.) that education is not a right? that we dont have to be educated... let me know please.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:32 pm
NOOOOOO!!!!!! It may be good in theory, but that will be shot down by any opponent who pulls quality of life. woops, gtg, I will get back to this if possible.
0 Replies

whatsername

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 09:48 am
drunkpunk wrote:
thats funny whatsername, im reading locke currently. but also Nozick has some good stuff on that as well. his stuff is pretty good for the neg if you have a conservative/libertarian judge. but most of the time those kind of arguements can be a trap were you are pinned as against taxes and then basically against the security of our nation(actually happened to me).

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about completely revamping both of my cases. I don't like them anymore.

I'm a girl like that.

Quote:
on neg, all i do is prove that equalization is NOT desirable. thats easy enough with a little research, so ill let yall all do your own research.
then as affirmative all you need to be able to do is counter your own arguements and prove that equalization is desirable.

Not necessarily.
0 Replies

prestochango

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm
hey guys im done with debate for the year so i dont mind showing what i know to you guys cause you aren't competition anymore lol. If you're going to district and dont have aset AFF case then you should give me your spot to district cause you dont deserve to go lol. If you need more NEG cases and/or ideas then maybe i can help.

my value was justice and value criterion was constiutional rights. i used the HISD and wilmur hutchins ISD in my first contention as examples of schools with money that have crappy schools (HISD) and ISD's that recieve money and spend it on crappy things (wilmur hutchins). Contention two has atricle 7 section 6 of state constitution and shows why robin hood doesnt work, i support them both with it's certainly not desirable to waste money on lost causes and it's not worth changing our constitution for something that doesnt work. it's not JUSTIFED hence my V.

For counter arguements if they use social or economical advancement just use meritocracy as the system for advancement not throwing money at the problem but the persons own personal ambition to succeed. Then argue the obs of not having to provide a source of funding with if you're going to provide a advantage of more funding then you also have to include the disadvantages then they probably wont have other sources of funding and will have to concede to your sources of funding which would most likely be robin hood which contention one and two fit very well.

This is good cause the counter arguements show equalization isn't desirable and that we should promote capatalizm through meritocracy and not throwing money at kids who's parents didnt provide it. Also the constructive (V,VC,Cont. 1 &2) provide examples of what happens when funding is equalized and that it's not desirable to want to change our contsitution for something that doesnt work.
0 Replies

ahhs debater06

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:54 pm
ok so has anybody won a negative round? When i went to Mansfield, there was no way to win a negative round, if anybody has anything that helped them please let me know send me an e-mail... thanks for any help... PLEASE I NEED HELP ON NEGATIVE....

S.
0 Replies

prestochango

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:33 pm
ahhs_debater06 wrote:
ok so has anybody won a negative round? When i went to Mansfield, there was no way to win a negative round, if anybody has anything that helped them please let me know send me an e-mail... thanks for any help... PLEASE I NEED HELP ON NEGATIVE....

S.

im a debator from mansfield and i just gave you my entire neg case.... lol

please read all the posts and if you did simply so they didnt help
0 Replies

whatsername

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:54 am
prestochango wrote:
hey guys im done with debate for the year so i dont mind showing what i know to you guys cause you aren't competition anymore lol. If you're going to district and dont have aset AFF case then you should give me your spot to district cause you dont deserve to go lol. If you need more NEG cases and/or ideas then maybe i can help.

omglolryt?

I'm going to rebut or something. Sorry if this is totally not what you were taking about, but there wasn't much elaboration, so I had to just go by what I think you were talking about.

Quote:
my value was justice and value criterion was constiutional rights. i used the HISD and wilmur hutchins ISD in my first contention as examples of schools with money that have crappy schools (HISD) and ISD's that recieve money and spend it on crappy things (wilmur hutchins).

Um... Edgewood vs Kirby? "[Kirby] fouind that educational programs in poor districts were not only inferior to wealthy districts, many did not even meet state standards." (Deborah A. Verstegen)
We need to at least offer them equal access to funds. If the money isn't there, they don't even have the opportunity to make things better and help their students learn more and have a better oportunity. With egalitarianism, it is believed that everyone should have equal rights in society, economics, civility, etc. We have to give them the opportunity and the rights that they deserve, not simply take away the chances of the many because of the few.

Quote:
Contention two has atricle 7 section 6 of state constitution and shows why robin hood doesnt work, i support them both with it's certainly not desirable to waste money on lost causes and it's not worth changing our constitution for something that doesnt work.

Who says that Robin Hood will be put back in place or something similar to Robin Hood will be placed? We're not arguing policies. We're arguing whether the funding itself is desirable.
Quote:
it's not JUSTIFED hence my V.

For counter arguements if they use social or economical advancement just use meritocracy as the system for advancement not throwing money at the problem but the persons own personal ambition to succeed.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. So are you saying that only those that are "better" should get more money? Also, it's hard to have an ambition to do well if you don't have the opportunities to. How about the schools with (again) programs that either don't exist or don't meet standards? I know if I were going there, my ambitions would be limited because there wouldn't be many things I could aspire to do. People aren't very driven if they don't enjoy what they're doing or what they're doing is inadequate. How do we fix this problem? Oh, funding.

Quote:
Then argue the obs of not having to provide a source of funding with if you're going to provide a advantage of more funding then you also have to include the disadvantages then they probably wont have other sources of funding and will have to concede to your sources of funding which would most likely be robin hood which contention one and two fit very well.

I had to read that three times and I barely understood what the heck you were saying. Like I said before, we're not talking about taking money away from the rich. There are more methods of equalizing funding than bringing people down. We could bring others up to the level of wealthy schools without hurting them. We're not discussing about how to do it. We're simply talking about is equalizing the funding (in any manner, which the affirmative sets out) is desirable.

Quote:
This is good cause the counter arguements show equalization isn't desirable and that we should promote capatalizm through meritocracy and not throwing money at kids who's parents didnt provide it. Also the constructive (V,VC,Cont. 1 &2) provide examples of what happens when funding is equalized and that it's not desirable to want to change our contsitution for something that doesnt work.

About your value and criterion... You didn't elaborate much on them in this post, so I'll just go on the basics of what they are.

Value- Justice:
Justice: jusĀ·tice ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jsts)
n. The quality of being just; fairness. The principle of moral rightness; equity.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=justice

Criterion- Constitutional rights: In the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Which applies to everyone) we are given a right to an education. The right exists.

Woo.
0 Replies

The ferret

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:55 pm
whatsername can you help me with my AFF case please my v- equal opportunities and c- egalitarianism

im using hobbes as my philosopher and i believe that if i can get a strong aff i can make it somewhere

plz plz help me
0 Replies

FreshmanDebater08

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:33 pm
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need help I cant find any Neg arguments Please help Confused
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 03:12 pm
wow, I have never seen such clamering for stuff! Laughing I haven't even written mine yet, and I have it in a little over a week, and i started this post!

ahhs_debater, did my stuff on the Democracy topic help? You never replied, did your coach like it?
0 Replies

prestochango

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 05:10 pm
whatsername i suppose i didnt explain everything very well and/or we have a difference of opinion.

my neg did very well for me and out of the 7rounds i've won this year (out of 13 rounds i mean come on this is my first semester ever in debate) 5 of them were with my neg case so atleast i can argue it pretty well.

and i wont argue my points again simply cause the people reading all this dont bother to read all the other topics and it'd be a waste of my time.

but basically success and personal ahievment should be based on how hard someone works. At good schools you have to compete with other good kids, at bad schools you have to deal with poor materials and teachers so it's even same level of difficulty.

and if you equalize funding the good teachers will still go to the good schools so it'll just give the crappy teachers more money
0 Replies

whatsername

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:39 pm
prestochango wrote:
but basically success and personal ahievment should be based on how hard someone works. At good schools you have to compete with other good kids, at bad schools you have to deal with poor materials and teachers so it's even same level of difficulty.

and if you equalize funding the good teachers will still go to the good schools so it'll just give the crappy teachers more money

Not necessarily. Don't excellent doctors go to poor areas in other countries to help people, regardless of their pay?
0 Replies

prestochango

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:29 pm
well of course they're no for sures in anything.

But 1/3 or 2/3 of the new teachers in poor schools quit after their first year i heard. kinda a sign, and remember these are generally ungrateful kids not poor people who are getting a little extra help in there lifes but steryotypically speaking people who'd rather buy weed then books
0 Replies

drunkpunk

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:07 am
ahhs_debater06 wrote:

S.

ive won all but one neg round on this topic. but then again i havent debated my revised case yet. cant wait to though, im gunna kill on it.
0 Replies