Equalization of funding is desirable for Texas public school

hyper426

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 01:00 pm
StUpIdJEANIOUS:
about ten or so pages back, a link to the texas legislative library is posted, go to it, and find the reports to the legislature from the joint-select committe on public school finance. There is an March 2004 report that is 52 pages long, and a december 2002 report that is 234 pages long. They are both extremely useful for both cases, poviding graphs and statistics to back up your case pragmatically.

and Silverpoopoo:
just becareful, because i would argue that equal funding does not necessarily mean an equal opportunity to an equal education, because small school are shown to need more money to function
0 Replies

Silverpoopoo

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 06:43 pm
I've written almost my whole AFF now, and I think I can handle it.
In one part of it, I said that how a school uses its funding is not a responsibility of the State but of a school board\the school itself. Basically I said that a school's use of the funds to improve education (whether or not the school uses the money to improve its education or not) is irrelevant to the fact that no school can be expected to allow the same opportunities to its students as another school without an equalized amount of funding.
It might sound a bit confusing or maybe, to some, just plain stupid. But I think I worded it convincingly enough in my case.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:20 pm
know how that is, it is always alot different when you are speaking it. Good luck!
0 Replies

debatergirl

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:24 pm
ok, so i debate tomorrow afternoon at 3:30. it is currently 11:17 p.m.. i had an outline for my cases, that i created with my coach, but a friend of mine totally just tore it apart. i'm stressed. i can't come up with any ideas how the poor's needs can be met w/o taking from the rich. HELP!!!

i don't really blame you guys if you don't help me. i mean, i could be debating you tomorrow. but anything would be greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:19 pm
umm...look into the fact that the legislature is currently looking to close franchise loopholes, which could provide around 1.6 billion dollars. This money could be used to bring the small schools to the tier of the large schools, without any recapture
0 Replies

AirKevo880

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:20 pm
So I am going to my first UIL tourney next week on this topic. What have been the trends? What have people been running? Anything major? If anyone has any example cases, could you send them to me?

email: [email protected]
0 Replies

drunkpunk

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:00 pm
man i went 2-2 at UIL yesterday, i lost in quarters. but thanks to the stupid tournament people i wont get my ballots for awhile so i dont know how the judges responded to any of my args.

though i lost in quarters b/c i finally hit a neg that focused on equalization not being desirable, and my aff only focuses on the desirability of equalization.

anyone else here at the lamar uil one, cuz it was so far behind that i didnt get home until after 10, that sucked. really sucked.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:18 pm
Hey, AirKevo880, try to remove your e-mail, or, atleast put it in the form of

screenname at place dot com

so that no spam will be e-mailed to you. Just trying to look out for all ya'll newbies Laughing
0 Replies

Silverpoopoo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:43 pm
Arrg...I've had no time so far this week to prepare. Is it common for people not to finish their cases till the day b4 the competition? I hope so, cause that might be the case with me. Hey, has any1 found a good site with listings of school stats and stuff set out on like a table to compare? I'm tired of going to each so-and-soisd.org and seeing if they have info; then seeing if I can use it in my case. I just need a site that lists schools in comparison with eachother; not the individual info that you have to go out and compare yourself to see if it's even worth using.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:50 pm
well, about being unprepared. My best case ever was written on the bus ride up to the tournament. I ready bad handwriting all day, and got 3rd at a TFA tournament, as a 2A debater
0 Replies

gatsby121

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:33 pm
serious lack of negative arguments
FreeDuck wrote:
Wouldn't it be desirable for all public schools? I'm not even sure what the counter argument could be.

i'm with FreeDuck on this one. The only thoughts i have for the negative side of this is that the management of funds is more the problem than funding itself. Also, that taking from anyone can not be justified...i know these arguments aren't exactly gold so if anyone has any sugestions rsvp...
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:44 am
the taking from some1 is good if you can prove it, because of "life, liberty, and property" as locke put it. No mention of education, equal or otherwise is mentioned. You can also say that it costs MORE to run a small school, so equalized funding would actually be detrimental to them, plus it would take from big schools, so everyone is detrimented.
0 Replies

whatsername

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:08 am
Silverpoopoo wrote:
Is it common for people not to finish their cases till the day b4 the competition?

I usually never care enough to do it until about 11pm the night before. I have an almost complete neg and an aff that needs major revising. I've been half working on my neg in class for about a week. I just need to finish it up. I have Districts on Saturday and I probably won't even look at my cases until Friday night. I seriously lack motivation.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:26 pm
naw, the adrenaline rush motivates us to accompish great thing!
0 Replies

nikki djor69

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:18 pm
i have a kick-butt neg. nobody is gonna touch it. Smile it's going to be funny. if ya'll need help feel free to ask. i have competition tommorrow but maybe yours is later and i can help you. oh and as for night before writing get this- it's my first year and i wrote both my aff and neg on the way to a practice debate and actually won first over people who actually worked on it previously. i'm just good at discrediting people and showing that what they say about me is wrong b/c they have no direct source stating what i claimed was false thus no support of their refute. wonderful... i got to go sorry! stay safe and GOOD LUCK to all. see ya at state maybe!
0 Replies

MariahK

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:41 pm
Question
Hey you guys, I'm new and we just started our debate class this semester. I enjoy it alot since I love to prove I'm right(sometimes I am)but for UIL our topic "Equilization of Funding is Desirable for Texas Public Schools" we need a quote and I'm having a hard time trying to find one. If anyone could please help me I'd appreciate it. [email protected]: Thank You.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:14 am
it totally depends on your angle. I put quotes in a couple of pages back, if ya look. otherwise, google for a certain type of quote, like education or something
0 Replies

drunkpunk

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:00 am
Silverpoopoo wrote:
Arrg...I've had no time so far this week to prepare. Is it common for people not to finish their cases till the day b4 the competition? I hope so, cause that might be the case with me. Hey, has any1 found a good site with listings of school stats and stuff set out on like a table to compare? I'm tired of going to each so-and-soisd.org and seeing if they have info; then seeing if I can use it in my case. I just need a site that lists schools in comparison with eachother; not the individual info that you have to go out and compare yourself to see if it's even worth using.

i wrote a case in 45 minutes the night before a tournament and never dropped a round on that case. i never even had to revise it.
0 Replies

nikki djor69

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:39 pm
who advanced to regionals? i want to know who i might be seeing, I'll be there the night before b/c we live too far away to drive in the morning- i dunno if any of u are in my part but if u are- maybe i'll see u! stay safe and good luck!
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:14 am
I am going!!!! I don't quite know if i am in your region, though.
0 Replies