Do you mind ?

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm
Hi, look at the sentences below, give me your view Smile

1)

- Do you mind open / opening the window ?

- Do you mind me / my opening the window ?

- How often you say ; can I open the window ?

2) Do you mind if I somke ?

- No, I wouldn't mind that.

-No/ not at all.

3)

- I don't mind what you do after leaving school.

- I don't mind what you will do after leaving school.

4) I got in late , and..

- I missed the news.

- I missed seeing the news.

- I missed to see the news.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,701 • Replies: 13
No top replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 12:29 pm
Here are my preferred choices an comments in [BRACKETS].

1)

- Do you mind opening the window ?

- Do you mind me opening the window ? [This is what is usually said.]

- How often you say ; can I open the window ? [Fine - it's just more "direct" and therefore perhaps a little less "polite"]

2) Do you mind if I somke ?

- No, I wouldn't mind that. [Good]

-No/ not at all. [Simple "no" could mean "don't smoke", which can confuse, but is should mean "I don't mind"]

3)

- I don't mind what you do after leaving school. [Implies regular "post schoolday" activities - i.e. everyday, after school]

- I don't mind what you will do after leaving school. [Implies after you have finished your school career...and in this case the words "don't care" seem to appear in my head, rather than "don't mind". Alternatively, "I don't mind what you CHOOSE to do after leaving school" may carry the same meaning, in a more specific manner.]

4) I got in late , and..

- I missed the news. [Yes]

- I missed seeing the news. [Yes but...implies repeated activity, so would be more appropriate after being away for some time: While I was on holiday, I missed seeing the news about home.]

- I missed to see the news. [No - not English usage]
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 12:49 pm
I agree with Pete on all of the above. (Hi Pete!)

Also, "Do you mind opening a window?" would be a polite way of asking someone else to open the window.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:17 pm
Thanks kitchenpete..Thanks mac11 :wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 03:11 pm
1)

- Do you mind open / opening the window ? "OPENING THE WINDOW" IS CORRECT

- Do you mind me / my opening the window ? SHOULD BE "DO YOU MIND MY OPENING THE WINDOW>"

- How often you say ; can I open the window ? SHOULD BE "HOW OFTEN DO YOU SAY, 'MAY I OPEN THE WINDOW?'"

2) Do you mind if I sMOKe ? OK

- No, I wouldn't mind that. OK

-No/ not at all. OK

3)

- I don't mind what you do after leaving school.

- I don't mind what you will do after leaving school. THE CONTEXT ISN'T CLEAR. IF THIS REFERS TO WHAT SOMEONE DOES AFTER THREE O'CLOCK (OR WHENEVER SCHOOL IS OVER FOR THE DAY), THEN THE FIRST SENTENCE IS OK. IF THE SECOND SENTENCE REFERS TO WHAT SOMEONE WILL DO AFTER GRADUATING, THEN THE WORDING IS AWKWARD. IT WOULD BE BETTER TO SAY, "I DON'T MIND WHAT YOU WILL DO AFTER YOU LEAVE SCHOOL."

4) I got in late , and..

- I missed the news. OK

- I missed seeing the news. OK

- I missed to see the news. WRONG. THE INFINITIVE IS NOT APPROPRIATE HERE.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 03:43 pm
1. I would say "do you mind me opening the window" rather than "my" - in that case it doesn't mean "my opening (of) the window" as a gerund, but "opening" is a participle modifying me. ("do you mind me - me, opening the window") I think the use of the gerund rather than the participle is much more formal than the other.

"May I" rather than "can I". As our teachers probably failed to teach us in third grade, "can I" means "am I able to" whereas "may I" means "am I allowed to".

Far more common than either of those though, is "do you mind if I open the window" as you used in #2.

2. Most people answer "sure" as a negative to questions starting with "do you mind if I...." just to avoid confusion with "no".

3. With the "will" it just sounds wordy.

4. "Missed the news" could mean a number of things - you missed watching the news, you missed hearing some peice of gossip, you missed hearing the news on the radio. That's mostly due to the ambiguity of the word "news" though and not the sentence structure. If it's obvious from the context, it shouldn't be a problem.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:22 am
kitchenpete wrote:
Here are my preferred choices an comments in [BRACKETS].

-No/ not at all. [Simple "no" could mean "don't smoke", which can confuse, but is should mean "I don't mind"]

I am always confused :wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
rufio wrote:
1. I would say "do you mind me opening the window" rather than "my" - in that case it doesn't mean "my opening (of) the window" as a gerund, but "opening" is a participle modifying me. ("do you mind me - me, opening the window") I think the use of the gerund rather than the participle is much more formal than the other.

The principle you cite is valid, but the application of this principle in this particular sentence isn't. If the person being addressed in the hypothetical question is going to object to anything, it's going to be the opening of the window, not the person doing the opening.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:18 pm
Roberta wrote:
Do you mind me / my opening the window ? SHOULD BE "DO YOU MIND MY OPENING THE WINDOW>"

Roberta,

Can you tell me why you use "my"? It sounds clumsy, and in this instance, is it really a possibility?
God help me! My study of grammar is getting out of control... too much information. I can't find any information about gerunds anywhere in my grammar books. What exactly is it? Someone was talking about the French equivalent in class the other day, and I have completely forgotten what it is.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:09 am
ben, A gerund is an "ing" verb that functions as a noun. Examples: I like to go FISHING. The DANCING was wonderful; the SINGING, not so hot.

Generally, when a noun or pronoun modifies a gerund, the noun or pronoun should be in the possessive. Eg.: What do you think of our asking for more? Our (possessive) modifies asking (gerund). Sometimes (yes, there's always an exception), the context requires that the possessive not be used. Eg.: What do you think of us asking for more. (This is what Rufio is referring ot above.) The focus is on us as the object of the verb think. It is not modifying the gerund. Do you see the difference in the meaning?

My advice: When in doubt, use the possessive.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:16 am
goodness!
Thank you.
I will need some time to absorb that information. I have crammed so much French and English grammar in my head of late... it is a little frustrating. I am in constant awe of people who know the rules (generally) backwards.
I will get there. Thank you for the advice on the possesive.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:10 pm
No awe necessary. My English knowledge is strictly practical. I learned on the job (I'm an editor). When I need to answer a question like yours or Navigator's, I look stuff up. And I'm friends with a grammar maven, which doesn't hurt.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:01 pm
thank you all the same Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:50 am
You're welcome. :-)
0 Replies