This poor baby was born without a face

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:22 pm
Apparently if you watch the video, I was told by someone else, you can see that she can see.

She can also breathe (lungs aren't damaged) and her digestive system works fine. It's just she is injected with food (something she can do herself) and breathes through a tracheal tube.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:23 pm
i thought she had no eye sockets developed? that's what the article said anyway, perhaps not true.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:26 pm
I truly don't know. Just that she responds to things in the video. I haven't clicked on the video. I've been saying this for several months now, but I still haven't hooked up my new computer. hehe ...so I'm afraid of crashing.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:29 pm
OOh... Sad This is so sad.

My heart goes to her... I can't imagine what it'll be like growing up "without a face".

and she's got my name too. Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:36 pm
i watched the video. she can see and she can hear. other than the severe deformity of her face, she is apparently a happy normal child. her parents hope that one day she will be able to talk as well. my bad. i should have watched before i formed an opinion.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:36 pm
BTW, they were only told she probably has a cleft lip (sp?).

I just downloaded the video to see for myself. She can see. They show her responding to her dad, and she knows sign language. She has eyes too.

They're spreading out her jaw, so I assume she can one day talk and eat. The ONLY thing stopping her is not having the bones. I don't think this affected her brain at all.

edit: sorry, we posted at the same time! Smile
I wish I would have watched it first too. Someone else had to tell me about the video. Smile
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Im torn on this. Part of me wants to do the ' oh poor baby thing too. The BIGGER part of me wants to do the oh poor parents thing. This child will never see/hear what people say about her. How they look at her or thier reaction to her. Her disease is a shelter from those things. But as she lives, her parents will see all , hear all and feel all.

I couldn't imagine putting myself through that either. They've put themselves in a rather potentially regretful situation.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
yup. i stand corrected.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:57 pm
as humans we fight to survive and make the best of the circumstances we are in
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:12 pm
Embarrassed
I just watched the video as well......
Embarrassed

O-K!
So........ shall we start this thread over? hehehhe
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:22 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
Apparently if you watch the video, I was told by someone else, you can see that she can see.

She can also breathe (lungs aren't damaged) and her digestive system works fine. It's just she is injected with food (something she can do herself) and breathes through a tracheal tube.

From the video, she has no developed eye sockets, they just appear to be held on by skin . Sad

When i say she cant breathe on her own.. i mean just that. With out surgical intervention, she cant breathe. After words.. she can .
She has what is called a gastrointestinal tube. It is a tube that goes directly to the stomach through the skin. OR in come cases, it can go down the nose. Those are called Nasal GI tubes. I dont think she has that?
. It has a small ball of liquid in the end of the tube that inflates to keep it from coming out with pressure and stomach spasms.
You pour liquids into an empty 4oz syringe at the other end and that is how she eats. Sort of like.. slim fast. ( NOT literally. ) Laughing
Those things cause some problems with the stomach but people live with them all thier lives.

I still stand by the - poor parents- statement.
This little girl knows nothing else. She isnt deprived. This is how she knows life there for she is content and happy. There is nothing missing to her as there is for us when we look at her. She doesnt know the taste of food so she isnt missing anything. She doesnt know how to talk and CANT so nothing has been taken from her. She doesnt know her self any other way. There for there is nothing wrong in her little world.
The hard part for the parents is to not TEACH her that there is something wrong. Not to allow her little mind and heart to know the deprivations she has. THAT is a job I would not want.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 03:54 am
your last para says it all

where is the video?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:50 am
vivien, you must see the video. Smile

There's a little video camera icon right above the article in the link I posted.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:12 am
thanks - I hadn't noticed that video link - watched it - weepy - what an incredible family

Lets hope that her surgery is even more successful than the boy David's
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:55 am
What an incredible story.

Beautiful family. That little girl will grow up to be something great.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
Video link:
Video

I have to say that despite the love i should feel for my own child, I know the trecherous path that child would have to embark upon each and every day--not to mention her deplorable state of health.

Once born, parents are placed in a precarious position of responsibility. We have been conditioned to value each and every life as if they are all equal, and this is clearly a case of inequality.

This child will never grow up to be on par with societal standards, whatever they may be, and despite the fact that she may "grow up to be a very nice person" is beside the point.

Would you willingly bring a severely disfigured, physically handicapped, and terminally unhealthy individual into this world?
I wouldn't.
But she's here....and what can you do but care for her?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:35 pm
Quote:
up to par with societal standards

there are a lot of eating and behavorial disorders due to this
0 Replies

winterwolf1965

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 05:46 pm
cjhsa wrote:
This is a child who should not have been born. As you can tell I am not part of the religious right. Such a shame.

Who died and made you ruler of the world, saying who lives and who dies? If you had a child that was born like this, what would you do?

Who was it that said: Better to be an angel on earth than an angel in heaven.

My daughter has cerebral palsy with paralysis down the left side of her body. Not once have I thought about giving her up or giving up on her.

With years of physical, occupational, speech therapy and surgery behind her, she is now a straight A student and plays a mean game of soccer.

It is evident that these people love their daughter and want to give her every chance in life, as I have tried to do for my daughter.

As I have found, God never gives us any more than we can handle.
0 Replies