I need natural remedies for depression. ( my update )

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:43 am
Great!
Thanks a bunch! :-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:45 am
shewolf, I was in exactly the same position (and for that matter am not far from it right now, again), having arrived in Naperville at 6 months pregnant, not knowing anyone at all, and not really meeting anyone before baby was born and I was all the more housebound. Recognized that I was spiralling downwards, and started volunteering when she was about 2 months old, made a huge difference.

Looks like mac found a great resource for you!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:46 am
two things i would bring to your attention;

one; depression, in your case from comments is not a malady, but a rational grasp of your situation, and you should concentrate on improving your life (i know, easier said than done), rather than trying to medicate yourself into submission.

two; medication is a vicious circle. changing the chemical balance of your body is a slippery slope that is very hard to climb back up later if the situation pressing you toward a personality modification solution changes.
as others have said, any sensible combination of healthy eating, and exercise will serve to increase your general health, leading to more energy, and a better outlook to solving your immediate life challenges; searching for a miracle cure from natural sources, is a waste of resources, and marginally better than looking on street corners in seedy parts of town!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:52 am
BoGoWo wrote:
two things i would bring to your attention;

one; depression, in your case from comments is not a malady, but a rational grasp of your situation, and you should concentrate on improving your life (i know, easier said than done), rather than trying to medicate yourself into submission.

Ok.. ouch.
That statement hurt. But damn.. you are so right. I NEVER thought about medication that way. It really is a mind number and does bring you to submission as you just get happier in a place that you would normally hate. I am crawling out of my skin in this place.
( little background info.. I live with mother in law, who is newly widowed and is also a touch on the controlling, manipulative side. .. really.. it makes for wonderful family atmosphere.. Rolling Eyes Laughing )
Normally in this situation I would have moved out.. BUT financialy, that isnt an option now. To take medicine would be the equivalent of rolling over and playing dead. I refuse to do that.
Very good point. You have really made me think. Confused
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:54 am
sozobe wrote:
shewolf, I was in exactly the same position (and for that matter am not far from it right now, again), having arrived in Naperville at 6 months pregnant, not knowing anyone at all, and not really meeting anyone before baby was born and I was all the more housebound. Recognized that I was spiralling downwards, and started volunteering when she was about 2 months old, made a huge difference.

Looks like mac found a great resource for you!

What did you do for child care? Or did you just volunteer around your family's schedule?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:58 am
Around my family's schedule, and made sure a lot of it was home-based. There were usually actual committee meetings once a month or once or every couple of months, and then activities that could be done from home. Depends on the kind of volunteering you do. One example of what I did was to try to get a charter school for Deaf kids up and running, so that involved a lot of online research, a lot of emails, etc.

Hubby had to watch the kid for maybe 6 hours a month, the rest was just at home around her schedule (while she napped, while she played nearby, etc.)
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 12:25 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Being a semi new resident in austin, unfortunatly I dont have a social life yet. I am positive that plays into the depression as well. Volunteering is a great idea . That will give me some responsibility ( outside the child rearing Laughing) that I have just for me. I never thought of that.. Just down the block is a goodwill. I may go see them this evening. ;-)
is there a website or a company I can contact that will give me alist of places to ask about volunteering in my city??
I did a google search.. the only thing I found is places like goodwill, salvation army etc.. but nothing on how to or where to go??

Two words: Alamo Drafthouse.

You can watch new or old, strange movies and get good food.

I know a ton about Austin. If you have any questions about anything related to Austin, feel free to pm me.

for starters:

www.austinchronicle.com

www.austin360.com

tell you what's going on in town.
And yes, the roads suck.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:45 pm
Shewolfnm, got to this thread late and can only add my best wishes. I've had clinical depression since my teens and there have been times when I thought it really wasn't worth the effort to try to get better.

Some things you might consider are, is your depression post partum or can it be traced to an incident in your childhood? It can take so many forms and be caused by a number of things--sometimes it is impossible to know the cause, but it is wise to find out if you can.

I do take antidepressants, but all the other ideas add to my well being (when I remember to do them). Confused My heart goes out to you. If you ever want to PM me about anything, please feel free--I would be happy to talk with you and provide a small support system for you. You will be in my thoughts.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:58 pm
Portal Star wrote:

Two words: Alamo Drafthouse.

And yes, the roads suck.

Oh yes. I have been to the draft house. It was really fun!

Not only do the roads suck in this city, but the drivers are worse. >sigh< haha
What about in south austin? Do you know of anything here?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:03 pm
I just got a book by Kinky Friedman that's a tour of Austin -- I'll let you know if anything particularly interesting comes up.

Sposed to be a great city.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:04 pm
Diane wrote:

Some things you might consider are, is your depression post partum or can it be traced to an incident in your childhood? It can take so many forms and be caused by a number of things--sometimes it is impossible to know the cause, but it is wise to find out if you can.

I do take antidepressants, but all the other ideas add to my well being (when I remember to do them). Confused My heart goes out to you. If you ever want to PM me about anything, please feel free--I would be happy to talk with you and provide a small support system for you. You will be in my thoughts.

Thank you for the offer. I may take you up on the PM thing. I do like having people to talk with.
My baby is 9 months old. Soon after her birth, when post partum usually starts I was fine. I dont think it ever really took a hold of me. I guess I am one of the lucky women.
My childhood was anything but roses and unicorns. I can begin with things that started happening when I was 6. Sexual abuse started. And it just seemed to steam roll from there. So yes, my depression , like yours, has been a HUGE part of my life. It is one of my oldest friends. (sigh)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:06 pm
sozobe wrote:
Around my family's schedule, and made sure a lot of it was home-based. There were usually actual committee meetings once a month or once or every couple of months, and then activities that could be done from home. Depends on the kind of volunteering you do. One example of what I did was to try to get a charter school for Deaf kids up and running, so that involved a lot of online research, a lot of emails, etc.

Hubby had to watch the kid for maybe 6 hours a month, the rest was just at home around her schedule (while she napped, while she played nearby, etc.)

I take it, this also helped in the social department for you as well? Or was that a diffrent task all together?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
Helped, but wasn't the whole story. For one thing, I was the chair/ prez of several committees, and so there was the hierarchy aspect (puts a damper on social interaction.) If I did it all over again, I think I'd turn down the leadership positions.

My main socializing was completely different group, though. (Had a book club and a regular "Mom's Night Out" -- helped organize the former.) (Miss it, even though the book selections tended to suck. :-P)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:14 pm
shewolfin', honey. Don't go sitting in any pyramids. Just a small joke there.

When my children were little. I would take a moment in the evening, run out and find some empty place, sit and look. I guess that is called semi-fugue. The thing that really helped me the most was part time work in radio. That way I was able to get some in house help, create, and get AWAY! Volunteering is great, but it doesn't pay much.

Some folks have a chemical imbalance to start with, and then those meds could be effective, but that's between you and your physician.

You're gonna do great, my friend. REALLY!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:19 pm
Do we lead the same life? Smile

I hear you loud and clear. I've been in the same boat as you (minus your absolutly triumphant rise from where you were to where you are now! Very Happy ). Probably on the other side rowing madly trying to get somewhere...so I know it's tough. I swear to you, exercise has helped enormously. In just one week I already feel better. I didn't even flip out when my husband left for business and while he was gone I was ok. I definitly think that the activity will help. Is there any way for you to get away for 20-30 minutes on your own, maybe 3 times a week? You could really exercise then. Do a little weight training or something like that.

I hope you feel better soon. I know how tough it is and how much it sucks. Keep your chin up :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:28 pm
Kristie wrote:
Do we lead the same life? Smile :wink:

Im secretly thinking we are twins.. Shocked

haha
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:34 pm
Letty wrote:
shewolfin', honey. Don't go sitting in any pyramids. Just a small joke there.

Well damn.. how am I supposed to meet king tut??? Laughing

I do believe I have a chemical imbalance. But I am torn because I know things in my life have made me depressed. I could list them alphabetically at this point.. Laughing
So it is hard to say wether or not it IS just an imbalance, or if it is more so from the experiences I have had in my little life. Im only 28. ( shh.. its a secret:!: )
I know that I cant put too much emphasis on one or the other given my background. But since the abuse and other things that have happened in my life FAR outweigh any imbalance I may have, I want to focus on more ' natural ' ways to get through this. Running, volunteering and other forms of excersize sound wonderful and are in my budget! ;-)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:43 pm
While it is admirable that you don't blame your past, it's important to recognize it. It is a part of you, good or bad. And it has influenced you. You sound like such a strong person I know you will get through this, just like you've gotten through the other tough times. Depression takes it toll on you, I know. After a while you start to wonder if it's worth the fight. Being unhappy is so much easier. But my mom taught me that if I ever fall, I should go down swinging (or take someone else with you :wink: ). Try the activity and if it doesn't work, come on back and we'll try some more!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:44 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Kristie wrote:
Do we lead the same life? Smile :wink:

Im secretly thinking we are twins.. Shocked

haha

Not secret any more.... he he he....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:48 pm
In recognizing my past I would have to deal with it. Frankly.
Im too chicken ****.
0 Replies