LIBERAL RACISM

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 06:03 am
Zev Chafets, a columnist for the New York Daily News, has some interesting thoughts on Sen. Harry Reid's racially charged denunciation of Justice Clarence Thomas:

Consider and post your reactions here.

"Reid's overt disrespect for Thomas is, at first glance, surprising. Reid is, after all, the conservative leader of a liberal Senate faction. He belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a denomination that banned blacks from the priesthood until 1978. And he represents Nevada, a state with a less than sparkling record on civil rights. In other words, Reid is vulnerable to the charge of racial insensitivity. And in this case, guilty.

Reid never would have had the brass to attack Thomas as an incompetent dummy without the encouragement of his party's black establishment. Black Democrats dislike Thomas not because of his intellect or performance--which fall well within the norm for Supreme Court justices--but because he is 1) a Republican, 2) a conservative, 3) an opponent of affirmative action.

Manning Marable, an African-American historian at Columbia University, summarized the case against Thomas at the outset of his court career: "Even though he is black in terms of his racial identity, Thomas in terms of his political program, in terms of his repudiation of civil rights, is arguably . . . the whitest man in America." . . .

More popular figures than Thomas have been pilloried by the black establishment for committing Republican heresy: Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Sammy Davis and Colin Powell all come to mind. Now, emboldened, whites have deputized themselves in the fight against black thought crime.

This sounds right to us. That last point is crucial, and it is why we suspect the Reid comment may be indicative of a coming change in American race relations. Chafets's surmise that Reid's comments have the approval of the "black establishment" is of a piece with cartoonist Jeff Danziger's defense of his racist Condoleezza Rice caricature: It was, he said, "suggested to me by a friend who is African-American."

The underlying assumption seems to be that black people cannot be racist--that "racism" refers only to one's attitudes toward or beliefs about other races. But this is nonsense. Suppose you're a white liberal Democrat who supports affirmative action. If another white person calls you a "traitor to your race" for holding these views, there isn't much doubt you would regard this characterization as racist. Likewise, those who call Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom" or, as Marable puts it, "the whitest man in America" for not thinking the way black people are "supposed" to think are acting racist toward blacks, notwithstanding that they may be black themselves.

To be sure, there is a qualitative difference between interracial and intraracial racism, particularly when the target is a group that has historically borne racism's brunt. It is awkward for a white person to say that members of the "black establishment," or the majority or a substantial minority of black people, are racist in their attitude toward other blacks. It has something of the feel of meddling in a family squabble, compounded by a sense of collective guilt over the depredations of pre-civil rights America.

Thus, when white politicians and commentators start attacking black dissidents in racial terms, everything changes. Harry Reid's disparagement of Justice Thomas's intelligence sounds a lot like old-fashioned racism, whether he has the political support of the "black establishment" or not. It reminds us of Kedwards' gay-baiting of Dick Cheney's daughter Mary. The "gay establishment" for the most part applauded what it saw as the exposure of a political foe's hypocrisy, and some antigay Democrats might have been persuaded to stick with their party's ticket. But to the majority of Americans, Kedwards' invasion of Miss Cheney's privacy was simply an affront to common decency.

The Democrats may or may not end up paying a price for Reid's ugly slur against Justice Thomas. (Recall that outside this column and kausfiles.com, there was nary a kerfuffle over the first Kedwards gay-baiting episode.) But sooner or later liberal racism will come back to bite them--and that may ultimately break down the whole racial protection racket."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,591 • Replies: 26
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 06:29 am
Do you think the columnist would have the decency to report Reid's actual comments so the reader could have chance of thinking for themselves?

I know nothing of the story (wrong country) and would have like to have seen some actual quotes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 06:36 am
http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/democrat/news/opinion/10388799.htm

Quote:
Harry Reid, the newly selected Democratic Senate minority leader, is said to be a good guy. And that's how he came across last Sunday on "Meet the Press," soft-spoken, reasonable and decent. Until Clarence Thomas came up.

Moderator Tim Russert asked Reid whom he could accept as the next chief justice on the Supreme Court. Reid replied that the conservative Antonin Scalia might be all right - "I cannot dispute the fact ... that this is one brilliant guy" - but not his ideological soul mate Clarence Thomas. According to Reid, Thomas - a justice for 13 years - is too dimwitted for promotion. "I think he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court," Reid said. "I think his opinions are poorly written - I just don't think he has done a good job."
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 06:42 am
hingehead wrote:
Do you think the columnist would have the decency to report Reid's actual comments so the reader could have chance of thinking for themselves?

I know nothing of the story (wrong country) and would have like to have seen some actual quotes.

Reid said, Thomas is "'an embarrassment to the Supreme Court,' and hasn't 'done a good job as a Supreme Court justice' because his opinions are 'poorly written.' "

But he offered not a single example of a case where Thomas has "embarrassed" the court, nor did he cite what he imagined to be a "poorly written" opinion by Thomas.

A frequent racist criticism of blacks is that they are "ignorant" and certainly, with no examples to cite to back up the charge, one explanation, if not the explanation, for Reid's attack on Thomas's behavior and intellect.

Of course, feel free to offer another explanation.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 06:47 am
Doesn't sound like racism to me - just sounds like criticism.

All the 'quotes' of Reid are partial - that always make me suspicious, journalists pushing an opinion always go for the grabs that support that opinion.

So your saying a black man can't be criticised because that's racism?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 06:57 am
hingehead wrote:
Doesn't sound like racism to me - just sounds like criticism.

All the 'quotes' of Reid are partial - that always make me suspicious, journalists pushing an opinion always go for the grabs that support that opinion.

So your saying a black man can't be criticised because that's racism?

No, I am saying that when a conservative black is criticized by a liberal with no verifiable substance for the criticism, but merely the obvious bias of the criticizer, it just might be an expression of racism.

Now, admittedly that is a value judgment on my part. Feel free to offer your own.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 07:04 am
Well I'm only getting the story from your journalist. You say he offers no examples of Thomas' unfitness but I'm saying you're only seeing what the journalist wanted to write. Neither of us have anyway of knowing whether the journalist asked for an example or if he was given one which he chose to report.

So your choice of calling this topic 'Liberal Racism' when even you say
Quote:
it just might be an expression of racism
makes your allegation about as flimsy as the journo would have me believe Reid's is.

PS I see that Anita Hill didn't get a mention....
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 07:30 am
hingehead wrote:
Well I'm only getting the story from your journalist. You say he offers no examples of Thomas' unfitness but I'm saying you're only seeing what the journalist wanted to write. Neither of us have anyway of knowing whether the journalist asked for an example or if he was given one which he chose to report.

So your choice of calling this topic 'Liberal Racism' when even you say
Quote:
it just might be an expression of racism
makes your allegation about as flimsy as the journo would have me believe Reid's is.

PS I see that Anita Hill didn't get a mention....

The article I posted is not from a "journalist", but an opinion columnist. If you want other columnists or reporters opinions, may I suggest a Goggle News search?
0 Replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 08:54 am
I knew opening this thread would be a waste of my time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 09:24 am
I've noticed of late that the right wingers jump at every little morsel to paint liberals as racist. This I am sure to change public perception if not in fact reality. This to drive a wedge between liberals and their traditional constituency, particularly certain minorities. It is a ceaseless onslaught now of "Liberals are racist because ..." Well, if you watch any individual or group long enough you can spot a violation of some sort. The overall picture is, liberals by and large are and will continue to be at the forefront of civil rights and the fight against racism.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 09:43 am
The op ed piece quoted is meaningless to me - is there any actual evidence that the "conservative liberal" fella IS being racist in disapproving of Thomas - or is this person simply disapproving of him for political/legal reasons?

I agree Edgar - this habit of finding one person and trumpeting wildly that "liberals are racist" or "conservatives are racist" because of one person is pathetic.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 09:53 am
Well, the thread is headlined "LIBERAL RACISM".

I suppose, Larry just quoted a starter and we will get soon more examples of "liberal racism".
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 10:16 am
I didn't see Reid's remarks as racism when I first saw them - more condescending than anything else. I was curious about his criticism and admit I have nothing to compare Thomas' writings to.

I don't, however, think this is particularly "poorly written". (Perhaps some lawyers here will weigh in).

http://www.campaignfinancesite.org/court/book-thomas.html
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 10:47 am
I believe Larry's point is not so much that Senator Reid and other Liberals are racist, as it is that the racism charge they so often level at conservatives is itself a fraud.

The cadre of professional, self-appointed black "leaders", including Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the academic figures in "black studies" in various universities claims the exclusive right to speak for black Americans. They have repeatedly labeled any black figures who gain prominence in conservative or Republican circles as not being "real blacks" and tarred them with other, worse criticisms. This has included Colin Powell, Codolezza Rice, and, most prominently, Clarence Thomas.

The senate hearings proceeding Thomas' confirmation to the Supreme Court were particularly acrimonious as the liberal establishment pulled out all the stops in an attempt to defeat his appointment. The idea that a black man could reject their political leadership and false claim to be the sole spokesmen for everything to do with black people infuriated them beyond reason. It is now holy writ among them that Thomas is incompetent, undeserving and merely a pawn of the conservative establishment. The fact is he is a very capable, serious individual with conservative views, who emphasizes individual achievement over group identity.

The important subtlety, that several posters here appear to have missed, is that Thomas represents individual triumph over race identity, while his critics insist he is a disgrace or worse, precisely because he has rejected it. Moreover in his word choice and phrasing, Reid, perhaps unintentionally, used the expressions that were once associated with white racists.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
The op ed piece quoted is meaningless to me - is there any actual evidence that the "conservative liberal" fella IS being racist in disapproving of Thomas - or is this person simply disapproving of him for political/legal reasons?

I agree Edgar - this habit of finding one person and trumpeting wildly that "liberals are racist" or "conservatives are racist" because of one person is pathetic.

Is there any evidence supporting the "conservative liberal" fellows criticism of Thomas. If not, why did he attack him in such a personal way, other than for racist reasons that is?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:36 pm
But it's not a personal attack, it's an attack on the way he performs his job. I'd say that it's fairly obvious motivation is Reid doesn't like the way Thomas performs his job - and those reasons appear to be based on ideological differences.

The most personal remark in the original is the word 'dimwitted' and that is not a quote - it's been placed there by the author.

I still say you are drawing a very long bow to say the criticism has any sort of basis in racism - it's purely political.

To use hyperbole to illustrate my point: if I say Adolf Hitler is a genocidal megalomaniac then your logic suggests I am racist against Germans.

You keep saying that Reid has no evidence of Thomas failings, but you appear to be basing that claim entirely on what you read in the column. How do you know Reid doesn't have examples? And even if he didn't does he need them to dislike what Thomas stands for politically?

To paraphrase someone:

Racism is so stupid - there are so many other reasons to hate people.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:53 pm
hingehead wrote:
But it's not a personal attack, it's an attack on the way he performs his job. I'd say that it's fairly obvious motivation is Reid doesn't like the way Thomas performs his job - and those reasons appear to be based on ideological differences.

But that is NOT what he said. He said he was an "embarrassment" and that his opinions were poorly written....not that he disagreed with his written opinions on ideological grounds.
The most personal remark in the original is the word 'dimwitted' and that is not a quote - it's been placed there by the author.

To use hyperbole to illustrate my point: if I say Adolf Hitler is a genocidal megalomaniac then your logic suggests I am racist against Germans.

Apples and oranges. You have evidence to substantiate that charge about Hitler, Reid does not have such evidence to substantiate that Thomas is an embarrassment and his decisions are poorly written.

You keep saying that Reid has no evidence of Thomas failings, but you appear to be basing that claim entirely on what you read in the column.

Not so. I have Googled and found no evidence backing Reids slurs of Thomas. Perhaps you can cite some to support your fervent defense of Reid's slurs of Thomas.

To paraphrase someone:

Racism is so stupid - there are so many other reasons to hate people.

I partially agree. But I disagree in the sense that most rational given for hating people are excuses, not reasons. [/quote[/color]]
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 04:32 pm
Like I said I'm from another country and I have little interest.

But: my prime minister, John Howard is an embarassment - I'm embarrassed to be an Australian.

I offer you no evidence to back that claim.

Am I a racist?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 04:36 pm
I think, I'm a double-racist:

I'm German (see comments above) and think, too, that Howard is an embarrasment.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 04:44 pm
hingehead wrote:
Like I said I'm from another country and I have little interest.

But: my prime minister, John Howard is an embarassment - I'm embarrassed to be an Australian.

I offer you no evidence to back that claim.

Am I a racist?

Dunno. Is Howard black?
0 Replies