English Grammar Excercises - Good brain work on line?

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 05:25 am
Hello,

I am basically looking to do some more English grammar exercises, if possible, I really don't want more books, but I want to get my brain working again on it - as I never learnt it honestly, at school.

Anyone know a site where I can do / find examples of exercises (example: "underline the superlative and comparative adjectives in these sentences..."). I have a really good book on English grammar, but the exercises aren't enough.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,097 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 05:43 am
Hi, ben!

If this link can be useful...

English
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 05:53 am
http://a4esl.org/q/j/

This looks like it might have possibilities, as the exercises are graded, from easy to difficult.
0 Replies

SebastianG

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
On a slight tangent (but still somewhat relevant), what is it with Australian schools and their inability to teach the fundamentals of the English language?

I've just completed my final year of High School and will be making the transition to University shortly, but I too was never taught grammar in school.

Admittedly, i never really attended Primary School and one could argue that is when the fundamentals were taught, but how many kids in the 4th grade actually listen to what is being taught?

Funny, i guess.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:58 pm
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SITES SO FAR... Very Happy

Well... very good question Sebastian. It baffles me completely!
I don't even think I personally can blame that I was in a public school upto grade 4 then changed to a private school (for various reasons, including not being taught as much as I was capable of learning). It is indeed frustrating. You don't realise until you are presented with some type of test that says "Underline all nouns, circle all adjectives and draw a square around adverbs"... my god! (A verbs is more than a person, place or thing!)

I have a friend who is, perhaps, 6 years older than I, and she claims she was taught grammar. But I have been teaching myself with a book that is made for students of other languages... in my case, French. I feel I know more French grammar than English. But I am trying.

I hope you can learn enough to be happy, but it seems to never end. But it has become my passion to know.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:12 pm
If you want to know english grammar, come living in Lille (Fr)!

Amazing!

Besides, knowing is my passion.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:17 pm
pretty stupid isn't it... Rolling Eyes
Better to learn than not to learn.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:27 pm
If you dont understand humour...
0 Replies